Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Another Brake Failure!!!

Hello All! Back in March, before our trip to Fort Wilderness, I noticed a spring hanging from behind the brake drum during my annual maintenance. To my surprise, the spring that holds the brake adjuster mechanism broke in half, clearly rendering the brake useless. So I scrambled and installed a new brake assembly the same day.

I then emailed Jayco regarding this. They replied that the brake assembly that they used on my 25BHS, was having issues. They paid me the cost of the assembly as the travel trailer was still under warranty. At that point, the TT had roughly 1000 miles on it. There was enough meat on the shoes and the drum was not warped either.

I recently returned from a back to back to back trip of the Northeast. Upon returning to home, I noticed a scrapping noise coming from the driver's side wheels. So naturally, I jacked up the wheel in question and spun it to reveal the noise. I pulled the tire and drum and found that the magnet was off of its mechanism scraping the drum. I jacked the other side and while placing the jack, I noticed a spring hanging from behind the drum again. It was the wheel next to the one I did in March. Frustrated and in a hurry because my warranty expires literally next week and we have a trip planned for this Sunday, I went to the trailer shop and bought 3 new brake assemblies and installed them during this heat wave we are having in the Northeast. I bought Dexter Assemblies. I figured why wait for the others to fail at an inoppurtune time. I had the time so I did it.

Before doing the work, I called around to a few Jayco dealers to see if they could complete the work before my departure, for the sake of my warranty. This was not happening. So my reason for doing the work myself was justified. I only hope Jayco see it the same way to get my monies back. I like to preform my own maintenance anyway. This way I know it is done right.

The reason for this post is to let other owners of Jayco Travel Trailers to give their brakes a good look during maintenance. I would pull the wheel and drum and get a good look at them. I usually do this when I pull it out of Winter Storage anyway. If all is well it will only cost you a little greese to pack the hub and bearings. Which you have to do anyway. The year of my 25BHS is 2012. So even if it is brand new, give them a good look. Thanks for listening. Be well!
Shogunles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Good info and reminder, Thanks!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #3

You said you used Dexter. Was the OE stuff Dexter as well?
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #4

I had a similar problem on my Designer a year ago, just prior to my warranty expiring. I had one brake assembly that did not have the adjuster in it. I don't know if it was there initially and came lose and wore itself to pieces while traveling or was never installed. These were Dexter brakes. I had the work done by an independent RV repair guy on my site. Working through my dealer and Jayco, Dexter paid the entire bill without a question. I had the old brake assembly, but all Dexter wanted was a picture. This was two weeks before my 2 year warranty expired.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
Site Team

They are sticklers on getting the problem reported. I would think they repairs could be covered by the warranty as long as it was identified by your report..
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

I had the brake spring failure on my 2012 Jayflight 32 BHDS. This has the Dexter Never Adjust brake system. I think their supplier is using very cheap metal to make the springs. All four brakes got replaced under warranty. This seems to be a known problem for Dexter axles with this system. Also, if you got the EZ Lube bearing system, you might as well break the zerk off and lube the bearings the old fashion way. This will save you headaches down the road. (pardon the pun)
Good Luck and Happy Travels!
gudde1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #7

Sorry for the delay everyone. I replaced the assemblies with Dexter. However they are a different model completely and I do not remember the model number unfortunately. Now I just notices that my rear axle looks to either be bent or too much camber on the passenger side. Again Dexter axles. I am listing to the passenger side. I am taking it in this week to be inspected. However, I just got in under the wire with the warranty by about 2 days literally! Because I reported it to Jayco, I am covered. I cannot help that the shop could not inspect my unit for 3 weeks.

I am considering trading in this unit. Especially after all of the issues. It is not like I need a new washer in my sink faucet of the toilet will not flush. These are major problems that could have led to a disaster! The fact that Jayco is aware of these issues does not give me a warm feeling inside either! It is a shame really because aside from the axles and brakes, these Jay Flights are put together very well.

We were considering a larger unit anyway with the arrival of number 3. So this infact may be my last post. Thank you all for all of the help and concern. I will let you know how the axle repair goes. Unless I decide to trade it in. Be well to all!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #8

Thanks for the info. The only reason I did the work myself was because the issues happened during the season and we had a lot of trips planned this season. Still do infact. So instead of leaving it or waiting 3 weeks, which surely would have interupted our plans. I replaced them myself. And Jayco did send me a check for all 4 assemblies no questions asked. In fact that was the easiest part.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #9

we have one more trip planned for the season. sounds like i shall be looking at my brakes to find out if any abnormalities

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #10

Great Scott Batman! I just had to fix my e-brakes because of broken adjuster springs as well (Dexter axles). Although, no warranty issues here...its a 1997. I heard rattling in the drum and thought the bearings were done but when I pulled the hubs I found 2 broken adjuster springs on the same side. As for the bearings, brake linings and magnets...they were in good shape. One of my adjusters mechanisms had fallen out of place but the other one somehow stayed put. Had to get a new adjuster due to the one being chewed up. I called Dexter and they said I would be better off buying from a distributor/retailor, so I checked e-trailer and Amazon. Finally, I just went to Advanced Auto and found the correct springs but the adjuster had to come from e-trailer (1 week out). Now, I'm all fixed and brakes adjusted...sliding tires.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #11

I had to have all four E-brakes replaced on a 2 year old Jayco. Brakes were from Dexter. Brake issues on jayco seems to be a common problem.
Barndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #12

25 BHS Brake Assembly and Listing to one side issues.

I appear to be a couple of years late, but I would like to share the experience I am having with the 2010 25BHS I purchased from local dealer as a second owner last summer. It has a 1 1/2 in. list to the passenger side which we sort of poo-poo'ed as because trailer was not on level ground. I had my 30+ years of experience RV mechanic friend look and it and he saw what appears to be a difference in the springs. He took one off of each side and found a 3/4 in difference in the two. He called Dexter and determined that the axles (Dex# 1732526) are #4400 axles. I ordered a new set (4) of #4800 springs from E-Trailer. He saw no damage to the undercarriage of the trailer to indicate any history of damage. Dexter also told him that the axles came with 10 " "Nev-R-Adjust" Brake assemblies. Mine had no adjusters. I ordered 4 new brake assemblies. I then looked on the Dexter website and saw that Dexter sold 10" brakes assemblies with and without the auto adjusters and sold models for before and after June of '09. E-trailer only carries the ones with adjusters and apper to be Dexter brand. Instead of "missing" the adjusters, were they just shipped from Dexter or modified by Jayco without the adjusters?
Well, the shoes were pretty well worn and it was due for new seals anyway. At this time, I am expecting (hoping?) for the parts to come in and to wind up with a trailer with a complete set of proper springs, 4 new brake assemblies (I needed pads anyway) and upgrade to some of the hardware and no more list to the passenger side. If I am wrong, I will be back to forem.
I would welcome any (constructive) comments and advice.
tomanderson is offline   Reply With Quote