Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Another brake question

hello

I purchased a used 2005 jay feather sport.

I felt like the brakes were not operating right and brought it to a dealer and they said need some work - as expected.
I was planning to bring it in anyway for an inspection as I live in Colorado and you don't take chances on brakes here!

My plan is to do the maintenance going forward but wanted to make sure it was in condition to start with.

They suggested changing brake plates. On my Chevy Avalanche brake plates are useless and rust all the time.
What is the function of brake plates on the trailer?

thank you,
Jay
Jabawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #2

Did they maybe say replace the brakes using complete backing plates? A complete backing plate assembly is all the working parts of the braking system at one wheel - shoes, magnet, springs, clips etc. It's like getting a complete new braking system - except for the drum. Usually, the cost of needed miscellaneous parts added up exceeds the cost of a complete backing plate, it's easier to put on, and you have a renewed system. And it does not cost much more than just shoes. So it probably makes sense. Plus, if you want to, you could get self adjusting brakes - which I really like. No more crawling under the trailer to adjust brakes (assuming everything is working correctly). The cost of a complete backing plate of self adjusting brakes is hardly greater than standard "you" adjust brakes.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

Another brake question

Yes! That's the term .
I'm guessing non self adjusting. I'll have to ask.

Yeah the cost wasn't extreme. And now I have a completely working system that ill keep in working order.

Sometimes peace of mind has no price .

Thank you. Jay
Jabawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

Do you mind me asking what the brake job costs? I might need this work soon.
ksas025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

How much a brake job costs depends on how many new parts are needed to fix them. Our trailer had grease in the brakes from the factory and the bill was $1100. Jayco was nice enough to reimburse me for the job. Every part was changed from the backing plate to the drums.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote