Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #1

Another fresh water drain question

2012 Jayflight 26RLS. I'm trying to figure out my fresh water drain and overflow setup because I'd like to add a valve to the overflow to prevent losing water while in transit. I have two low point drain stickers on my TT, one to the rear of the axles and one ahead of the axles. Pic is attached of what is rear of the axle. It has two open hoses, and two hoses with valves. My model specs indicate I have 80g fresh water tank. So why do I have 2 open hoses and 2 valved hoses? Do I have two 40g tanks? Do I need to put a valve on both those open hoses? The other low point hose is ahead of the axles outboard of the trailer frame rails. Is that one the overflow for the hot water heater???
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4005.jpg  
Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #2

Mine has two connected fresh water tanks, each has it's own drain, which look like yours. I replaced those valves with quarter turn household valves.
I had an overflow hose for each tank, but cut them and got them connected together and put another quarter turn brass ball shutoff on that.
They use the same decal stickers for my low point drains as for the tank drains to confuse us, or save a penny.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:26 AM   #3

You can ask Jayco customer service for plumbing schematics and layout of bottom of camper, really helpful if you have the weather insulation underneath.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:30 AM   #4
Site Team

Anytime you call them, have your vin # handy.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliona View Post
2012 Jayflight 26RLS. I'm trying to figure out my fresh water drain and overflow setup because I'd like to add a valve to the overflow to prevent losing water while in transit. I have two low point drain stickers on my TT, one to the rear of the axles and one ahead of the axles. Pic is attached of what is rear of the axle. It has two open hoses, and two hoses with valves. My model specs indicate I have 80g fresh water tank. So why do I have 2 open hoses and 2 valved hoses? Do I have two 40g tanks? Do I need to put a valve on both those open hoses? The other low point hose is ahead of the axles outboard of the trailer frame rails. Is that one the overflow for the hot water heater???
You have twin 40 gallon tanks that are plumbed together. The 2 valved hoses are drains for each tank although turning on 1 valve will drain it but slower. The 2 open hoses are the overflows for each tank. You can connect them together with a tee and install just 1 stopper or do both individually. Make sure you open the stopper before you turn on the pump. The 2 low point drains ahead of the axles are for draining the plumbing system of the trailer. If they are the "T" type you must pull up on them to open. Before you do that though go into the trailer and open all the faucets as this rids the the plumbing of the vacuum.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
You have twin 40 gallon tanks that are plumbed together. The 2 valved hoses are drains for each tank although turning on 1 valve will drain it but slower. The 2 open hoses are the overflows for each tank. You can connect them together with a tee and install just 1 stopper or do both individually. Make sure you open the stopper before you turn on the pump. The 2 low point drains ahead of the axles are for draining the plumbing system of the trailer. If they are the "T" type you must pull up on them to open. Before you do that though go into the trailer and open all the faucets as this rids the the plumbing of the vacuum.
Twin tanks. . .that explains the hoses in the pic. But the drain ahead of the axle (and again it is located outboard of the I-beam rail) is not a flexible hose like the overflow and drain of the water tanks. It's pointing straight down and is a single rigid pvc pipe with no valve on it. It's ahead of the water heater. Do water heaters on these TTs have overflow drains?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Twin tanks. . .that explains the hoses in the pic. But the drain ahead of the axle (and again it is located outboard of the I-beam rail) is not a flexible hose like the overflow and drain of the water tanks. It's pointing straight down and is a single rigid pvc pipe with no valve on it. It's ahead of the water heater. Do water heaters on these TTs have overflow drains?
A pic of the rigid hose may explain it's use. I'll bet it's still a low point drain but the open/close valve is located inside the trailer in a low cabinet behind a panel somewhere. Trace where you think it enters the camper and you may have to remove a couple of screws to get the panel off to operate. Our previous trailer had these inside shut off valves for the plumbing. Water heaters don't have an overflow unless the previous owner added something.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:54 PM   #8

You were correct TC. The valves were located inside the trailer at a low point under the bathroom sink. It was actually two pipes sticking out ahead of the axles. I didn't see the other until I stuck my head further underneath and it drains both the hot and cold water. Now I understand my water system.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
You were correct TC. The valves were located inside the trailer at a low point under the bathroom sink. It was actually two pipes sticking out ahead of the axles. I didn't see the other until I stuck my head further underneath and it drains both the hot and cold water. Now I understand my water system.
Glad you got it figured out!