Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #1

Another "hose" discussion (campground water)

I see a lot of pointers on the forum that remind people when buying a hose to make sure you buy a white drinkable water hose. But I really wonder how many people actually make it a habit to drink water from campground wells. I am always a little leary drinking water from any old well. I'm sure that it is more than likely alright to drink, but I just have a slight fear about it. We filter the water and still I can't make myself drink just any cg water. SO, we drink bottled water.
Just wondering if you frequently drink it?
bradw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #2

We drink the CG water with no ill effects (yet). Our filter is a simple whole house type and removes the "chunks" from the water and little else I suspect.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #3

We drink bottled water also, but what about cooking, washing dishes, brushing teeth, etc.... CG water is used for us at those times.... Though the white hose may or may not be a huge deal. I know I have gotten drinks from the "horrible" green hoses for years!!! But, yes, we do have all white hoses for the tt.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #4

we also drink the campground water with no ill effects, and we don't use any filter . and for the bottled water, never drink it
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

We bring our own potable water. Couple bucks for a couple gallons, no worries.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
we also drink the campground water with no ill effects, and we don't use ant filter . and for the bottled water, never drink it
From what I find accumulated on my screen before the filter there's no way that I wouldn't have a filter.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #7

We have a sand filter for our house so a sediment filter is a good idea. We are wholly anti bottled water. One of the reasons is that we share an aquifer with a major water bottling facility and they have said they have the right to use our water for their benefit and do not care if they bleed our well dry.
Have been using well wateralmost all my life( on well for some 50 years) . I see no need to change. There are products that do clean and purify drinking water. We use them when backcountry camping in the West and Arctic.

https://dayoneresponse.com/product/pg-packets-12-pack/

however for RV mechanisms its best to keep silt out in the first place.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

We use one of the whole house filters (Camco blue) and a white water hose. We also carry 5-7 gallons of "bottled" water. We get it from a vending machine outside our grocery store. It starts with municipal water and filters it various ways including reverse osmosis. Cost is $1 for 5 gallons, and we fill our own container (well worth it to me). We trade in the container once a year to get a clean one. We use this for drinking and cooking, and sometimes if the CG water is bad, even for brushing our teeth.

I'm fairly sensitive to water from different places, so for the cost and the effort, it's worth it to insure my comfort. I'm not above drinking the CG water, and will do so if I have to (assuming it's not obviously rank), but it's not hard to get "cheap" and consistent "bottled" water.

I also sanitize our on-board water system at the start of each season.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

We use the white water hose with the blue Camco in line filter. We also use a PUR water filter pitcher for drinking and cooking. We have been to several campgrounds where the double filtration was needed to get rid of the chlorine taste.
CaptRon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

We do not drink the campsite water, but only use it to wash dishes and bathe with. We bring approximately four to five individual gallons of drinking water from our house for a typical 3-4 night trip. Then, if we need more, we'll refill them at Water and Ice store or at a reverse osmosis water kiosk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw View Post
I see a lot of pointers on the forum that remind people when buying a hose to make sure you buy a white drinkable water hose. But I really wonder how many people actually make it a habit to drink water from campground wells. I am always a little leary drinking water from any old well. I'm sure that it is more than likely alright to drink, but I just have a slight fear about it. We filter the water and still I can't make myself drink just any cg water. SO, we drink bottled water.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #11

We NEVER drink campground water. Have always brought bottled spring water with us. Removed the inhouse water filter for the same reason. You just never know....
Old 03-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #12

We use the blue inline filter, and a faucet mounted filter for drinking, but even so there's still the odd campground where the water clarity and taste still isn't to our liking, especially at campgrounds where there's lots of dissolved minerals in the water. I know for a fact that the CG staff sanitizes the system at the beginning of the season.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #13

Wow..i wonder where in the country is all the lousy campground water? I have only noticed sulfur in a couple of areas around Kingsland GA and Parsippany NJ.
Maybe we have iron stomachs. We have been drinking campground water for 65 years, but admittedly never in an RV park. Yes in National Parks and Forests and State Parks.

You gotta do what you think is best for you.. Now off to investigate sand filters. Well worth it if you have ever seen what happens to mechanicals with sand jamming them

That Camco filter seems odd. Our house system has a five micron filter to remove sediment. The Camco has a 100 micron filter. That is relative pebble size

Our backpacking filters remove Giardia with two micron pores but they are quite a bit more expensive..

So for you suspect of your water are you really get protection or do you use a gravity backpacking filter too sometimes?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #14

I bring a 5 gallon culligan jug that I refill for 5$, I put a pump on the top and the kids and everyone can help themselves. One of the campgrounds we use a lot has an awful tasting water so we started doing this and now seems to work best for us.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #15

Quote:
The drinking water in state and federal campgrounds is periodically checked (by law) to be sure that it is safe to drink. I don't recall the interval, but I believe it is at least on a monthly basis.

I can't speak for private campgrounds. They should be checking it, but you never know, so no guarantees there.

We take water with us for making coffee and for cooking. We like our coffee to taste just as it does at home. And with well water at the campgrounds, you never know what you are going to get as far as taste and smell (which have nothing to do with the water's safety to drink). But we use campground water for showering and doing dishes.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #16

Been drinking campground water for years and years and all is okay with me!(See accompanying picture of me and see if you don't agree:

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #17

My responses in bold:

Quote:
I see a lot of pointers on the forum that remind people when buying a hose to make sure you buy a white drinkable water hose. We use white hose for CG tap water. But I really wonder how many people actually make it a habit(?) to drink water from campground wells. We drink, shower, and cook with CG water after it passes through our 'whole house size' carbon block filter *
I am always a little leary drinking water from any old well. I'm sure that it is more than likely alright to drink, but I just have a slight fear about it. We filter the water What filter do you use? and still I can't make myself drink just any cg water. SO, we drink bottled water.
* Specs: "The carbon block reduces fine sediment, chlorine taste and odor, and protozoan cysts. The nominal filtration rating of 0.5 micron with a flow rate of 4 gpm." Our experience is that it also removes sulfur taste and smell.
CG water varies A LOT. Without this filter, our coffee varied from good to almost undrinkable.

BTW, I also use a bleach solution to spray on the CG water connection and handle to reduce the chances of contaminating our fresh water system.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #18

Just for comparison, a red blood cell is about 6 microns.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #19

There's well water and then there's well water. Ours up here in the mountains is the best stuff ever. Soft, cold and delicious. However, two miles south of us and a little lower elevation at 8400', it's disgusting. It can ruin the pumps on our tenders. Plus, we usually camp in southern AZ, where deven city tap water is awful. So we go for the reverse osmosis stuff at 15 to 25 cents/gallon for cooking, etc., and bottled "spring" water for drinking for us and the mutts.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #20

camco blue filter connected to 'city water' inlet for dishes, showers, etc...
We drink bottled water.