Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Another lesson learned

So we are here at Beth page camp resort in Urbana Virginia. We are all set up Friday night include shore power with my brand new surge protector, $300.00 dollars. Well its been hot AC on. So yesterday we came back from swimming all seemed OK checked surge protector 117 volts 16 amps OK. Well went to get my son came back heard from outside refrigerator trying to work off propane. So went to other side of trailer my surge suppressor was laying on ground , oh OK. Well come to find out the terminals from my surge suppressor plugged into there 30 amp outlet were stuck in there. They melted off the end of it. There was crap in the outlet and apparently not a good connection. So now I'm trying to figure out ho is at fault. If the surge protector did its job and took a hit. I would be like OK cool did it job. But this happened due to a faulty terminal. The surge protector seems fine except the prongs are melted right off. Gotta talk to resort manager to morrow. Any advice. Oh and my advice to everyone make sure you got a good solid connection to the outlet. This had to create allot of heat to melt the solder out of my terminal connection ,my plug. Just beware of this.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #2

Before plugging in I always determine the condition of the receptacle. If it is not good and tight I will take a fiber emery board and run it in and out of the receptacle a couple of strokes to clean the contacts. However, if the receptacle is VERY loose I will use the 50 amp receptacle with an adapter.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

Maybe I'm missing something but if the surge protector is displaying 117v and 16 amps that would seem to indicate a pretty good connection. If you were getting a large voltage drop due to a poor connection at the plug I don't think you would have seen 117v on the display from a 120v outlet.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

that is good to know....I have one of these as well. I do hook into the 50 amp side from time to time will this affect the 30 amp surge protector?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #5

Just purchased our first TT. Dealer tried to sell us a $300 surge protector but since we just dropped about $500 in other things we thought we would wait. In speaking to my FIL who has camped for the last 30 years about twice a month said he has NEVER had a surge or any electrical problems. spoke with other veteran campers who told me the same. What gives with now trying to get folks to buy these ?? I understand IF there is a surge ya loose all but has anyone ever had one to fry everything ??
satchmo1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

I don't believe that a surge protector is something you have to have - but I have one on my computer and TV equipment. In a modern trailer, there is lots of very expensive electronic circuitry.

I have an EMS (Electrical Management System) on my trailer. It protects against surges, over and under voltage, and mis-wired outlets - reversed neutral and hot, missing grounds. It has not protected against a surge that I know of, but has shut off power due to low voltage which protects (primarily) the AC compressor.

Even without an EMS or a surge protector, an outlet tester can be used to test for mis-wired outlets, and are cheap insurance. Plugging into a mis-wired outlet, with reversed neutral or ground or missing ground, is quite dangerous and potentially deadly. Outlet testers can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes for under $10.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

I use a small outlet tester which either tells me it is wired correctly or not. The only problem I have ever had in 40 years of camp trailers was in a house we bought. I plugged the trailer into the garage and it (the garage) was wired backward and fried the refrigerator. That is why I use the tester. I realize that someday I may pay but it hasn't happened yet.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #8

This is my way of thinking. $300 isn't much to spend if you get a surge and it frys your electrical system in your RV.
And I was camping and the campground took a big elec surge/outage due to a lightening hit on the power grid. $300 probably saved me hundreds more that day.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Site Team

I have camped for many years w/o one with no problems. That said, with my current rig, I feel better using one. Not a necessity, just additional insurance.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
Site Team

I agree that every TT needs some type of "Surge Protection", with today's electronics onboard. I have always used a "Whole House Surge Protector" by EATON. Home Depot sells them for around $70. I have never had an issue with them. The way I have it wired in the TT, it also protects the TT when I use the 1500 watt inverter. As we set up at each campground, I use a meter to check if the shore power outlet is wired correctly, and if it is usable (worn out/loose). Below is a picture of the Surge Protector wired into the TT wiring. It is located on the right side of the picture below the 4x4 electrical box.
Don

Home Depot : Eaton Complete Home Surge Protection - Model # CHSPT2MICRO - Internet # 202800798

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote