Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Another tire question

We have DSRE 30 White Hawk and we are going to replace the tires (because blow out damaged trailer) I am looking at the Michelin 235/75 X 15 "XL. Our advertised trailer weight is GVWR #8200. Price is just under $600 out the door.

The tire info is The long-lasting, fuel-efficient Michelin LTX Tire M/S2 is specially designed for light trucks to deliver a comfortable and superior driving experience. It gives you high-performance all year round. The Michelin tire (P235/75R15/XL 108T) features upgraded silica tread compounds and better lateral evacuation to help stop your truck up to 7' sooner on wet roads. An additional steel belt in this E load range provides incredible durability and strength. The Michelin LTX Tire M/S2 also comes with dense and deep 3-D Active Sipes as well as the MaxTouch construction with optimized contact patch. Together, these features deliver more biting edges for great traction in snowy conditions and enhance the tread at higher speeds. Enjoy maximum contact with the road when you use this all-weather tire, which can help to prevent uneven wear.
This item has a treadwear warranty of 70,000 miles and a black sidewall with outlined and raised white letters. The Michelin LTX Tire M/S2 has a speed rating of T and a load index of 108 for a maximum of 118 miles per hour and a weight capacity of 2,205 pounds.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Site Team

I used to run them on my truck and I have a friend who has a set on a 31' fifth wheel. They have held up well.

Don't put to much stock in mileage warranties on any tire.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #3

Those look like they are only P rated tires, not LT's. They do not have a strong enough sidewall for a tandem axle trailer during turns. I am surprised the dealer is willing to mount them on a trailer.

Norty, are your friends tires LT's on the 5ver?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #4

Look at Maxxis ST, M8008 series.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Look at Maxxis ST, M8008 series.
+1

It looks like the tire the OP is referencing is an XL P-Metric tire. So it is a P-Metric tire that has a higher load capacity, but not quite an LT tire. The "LTX" in the model number does not designate it as an LT tire, it's just Michelin's model designation. I have the LTX MS/2 on my wife's X-Terra; great tires, had them on there for years and they've performed flawlessly and wear VERY well.

That being said, I wouldn't use those tires on a trailer, I'm another vote for the Maxxis M8008, and that's what I'm about to buy in LR E.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1

I'm another vote for the Maxxis M8008, and that's what I'm about to buy in LR E.
You are making a good decision.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #7

We looked for Maxxis tires and the closest was 150 miles away so I ordered the Michelin LTX. I compared the sidewalls of the Michelin 8 ply against other 10 ply Trailer tires and the Michelin are stiffer. I had good luck with these on our other trucks. No matter what anyone thinks they will be better than the Towmax.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruckerbob View Post
snip ... No matter what anyone thinks they will be better than the Towmax.
Well ... yeah. But that's not saying much!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

I have a fifth wheel, not a trailer so I am definitely not an expert on bumper pull "sway". However, I believe that one of the causes of sway is tires that have a sidewall that is too flexible. If that is so, the P metric tires you are considering may cause additional trailer sway and for that reason might not be the best choice.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #10

I agree RVhiker but I checked several brands of trailer tires and the side wall of the Michelin is thicker and much, much stiffer. The side of the towmax is as flexible as rear lawn mower tire and yes I do mean a rear lawn mower tire. I checked Firestone, Goodyear, and several no brand tire none were as stiff or as thick as the Michelin. PLus the tire 2200 weight rating. I just got back from a 50 mile test drive and they did great. When I pulled out of drive and when I backed in our drive there was much less twist on the Michelin than on the Towmax or the no brand 8 ply tire on our car hauler. But if they don't do good after several thousand miles I will let everyone know. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I feel that a tire that can stand up to high speed 85 on the interstate in some states and on cruvey winding roads on the front of a heavy truck and not allow flexing will surely stand up to the slow speed and turning on a trailer.