Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #1

Another Under Awning LED Light Question..Maybe

Searched posts and could only find one other that came close to matching my issue without a real answer to the problem, so here it goes.

Our 2016 White Hawk 27DSRL has the LED strip lighting underneath the awning and my problem isn't of it being too bright, but too dim.

When initially turned on, its at max brightness but after a few minutes it dims to about half brightness. I feel this is a heat related issue because if the lights are turned off for about 1 minute and turned back on, they go to full brightness for about 15-30 seconds before dimming again.

Does anyone know if there is a controller for these LED lights or are they hard wired into the wiring harness? If there is a controller, where is it? I did not see any type of controller on the awning arm and dont want to try to remove ceiling panels to access.

User P25ct had similiar issue in a post from Aug 2016 but other than replacing LED strips, no other solution was noted.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...rip-39190.html

any help appreciated..thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #2

Not really sure, but wondering if you don't have a bad led light?

Is unit still under warranty? If it is call Jayco.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #3

Are they 12v or 110v led lights? I had some 12v that the control box went bad on and they were dim. not sure if the factory ones have a control box or not but just a thought
Old 04-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #4

Once again I had the exact same issue with my 2016 27DSRL. I just had the issue allegedly fixed over the winter during my last warranty repairs. I say allegedly because I haven’t used it yet after getting fixed. I need to find my repair paperwork but there was a mystery shrink sealed inline “thing” in the wiring to the Awning lights that initially read 12v on either side of it but then dropped to 8v on the output side. CW in Portland had no idea what it was so sent a photo to the Jayco factory. Jayco supposedly sent a replacement “thing” that they swapped out. Im told it fixed the issue. I never saw it myself. I will update this tomorrow with the exact words from my repair paperwork.
WyEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #5

Of course that ran out last October
Old 04-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #6

I had the same issue on my eagle and also had some of the led lights in the strip would flicker or not work. I found a replacement light strip on eBay for fairly cheap and replaced them. Now they work great.
jws0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyEm View Post
Once again I had the exact same issue with my 2016 27DSRL. I just had the issue allegedly fixed over the winter during my last warranty repairs. I say allegedly because I haven’t used it yet after getting fixed. I need to find my repair paperwork but there was a mystery shrink sealed inline “thing” in the wiring to the Awning lights that initially read 12v on either side of it but then dropped to 8v on the output side. CW in Portland had no idea what it was so sent a photo to the Jayco factory. Jayco supposedly sent a replacement “thing” that they swapped out. Im told it fixed the issue. I never saw it myself. I will update this tomorrow with the exact words from my repair paperwork.
I finally found my repair paperwork. Unfortunately, the description is somewhat vague. Here is what CW wrote on my repair work order:

"Tested for power at lights. Found 12.5V. Tested for power at lights after going dim several minutes later. Found 8.6V. Pulled switch, found 12.5V at switch. Found a short red wire with heat shrink on it something small and square in it. Wire is about 3 inches long before it connects to light wiring. Found only 8.6V after heat shrink. Called Angie at Jayco Tech Support, she said she doesn't know what it is and to send a picture. We are waiting for a response. Emily rec'd part."

They installed the mystery part and this weekend I tested my awning lights while camping. No dimming issue, so the red heat shrinked square thing was the culprit. Pull your switch to find it and contact Jayco to see if they will send you a new part.