Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #1

Antenna issues

I purchased a 2020 Jayco Feather Flyte earlier this month and purchased tv's for it last night. We hooked them up and can not pick up a single channel using the antenna. Is this a common issue? Are the antenna's just not that great or am I doing something wrong? I did make sure that the amplifier was on.
malerie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #2

What type of antenna? How far are you from stations? Are you sure it is wired correctly? Is your TV set to air and did you do a scan?
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #3

Make sure the TV's are set for over the air and not cable. Amplifier on is correct. Then scan for available channels. Could you be in a dead spot with no OTA channels? Try rotating the antenna to different directions. https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html. Is the antenna cable attached at the antenna?
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #4

If the booster is on, tv set to antenna and you have scanned for channels then you could pull off outlet plate and make sure the connection to the outlet was properly made.

Another check would be to try the tv with a little antenna outside the rv and make sure it is not the problem.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerie16 View Post
I purchased a 2020 Jayco Feather Flyte earlier this month and purchased tv's for it last night. We hooked them up and can not pick up a single channel using the antenna. Is this a common issue? Are the antenna's just not that great or am I doing something wrong? I did make sure that the amplifier was on.
We have a 2020 Jay Feather with the same issue. Not a well known antenna manufacturer on our unit seems like it is steiner enterprises or some such name. We have used the trailer 4 nights so haven't really messed with it much but seems even at our house nothing is picked up but will try again in the spring when we get it back out of storage and may even try just attaching antenna outside and see what happens.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

I been to 5 different campsite with our new unit and 2 of those no channel at all. At home it works fine. Did your rv come with a tv?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

We have a 2020 Jayco 29RKS and the stereo/radio antenna does not work. I have had it checked and it appears to be an issue in the antenna pod on the roof. It is the kind that looks like it is inside a shark fin made of smoke coloured plastic. I have temporarily hooked up a short coax to a rubber whip antenna but I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem and what to do about it. I know of one other couple with an identical 2020 trailer with the same problem and they are at a loss as to what to do. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks, Rick H
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
I been to 5 different campsite with our new unit and 2 of those no channel at all. At home it works fine. Did your rv come with a tv?
Had the same issues, or maybe 1 or 2 channels in some parks.

The new digital signal was the worse thing the FCC mandated in my opinion. It is direction specific and any trees totally mess it up.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Had the same issues, or maybe 1 or 2 channels in some parks.
How much of that is a wiring/coax issue, with the number of connectors Jayco installs in these rigs? I think there's a big issue with signal loss.

I did a test on my rig, and scanned for channels with the King antenna on my rig, going through all the standard coax they installed. I picked up like 12 channels. Then, I did the same thing with the same King antenna I bought, but hooked it up directly to the back of the TV, bypassing all the rig coax. I picked up like 35 channels sitting in the exact same place.

So based on that experiment, I believe Jayco's coax wiring, splitters, couplers, Tees, etc,. leave a lot to be desired..
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
How much of that is a wiring/coax issue, with the number of connectors Jayco installs in these rigs? I think there's a big issue with signal loss.

So based on that experiment, I believe Jayco's coax wiring, splitters, couplers, Tees, etc,. leave a lot to be desired..
I agree that wiring could be an issue. With that said I even had the problem at our house after digital signals went into effect. Got all channels except 1 because of trees, their engineering dept even said that was my issue. The new digital is line of site that is why when you now buy an antenna they have this disclaimer for Digital Antennas.

Certain variables unrelated to the antennas performance can affect reception, such as terrain, tall buildings, and trees
Old 07-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #11

We had a smaller Rockwood TT that had a directional antenna that would rotate (Wineguard I think) It would pick up 3 or 4 channels where we parked it in our backyard. This year we purchased a 2020 White Hawk 32KBS with the "shark fin" antenna. It is parked in the same spot and picks up absolutely nothing. I have tried it at a couple of campsites with no results either.

When I take it to the dealer at the end of the season to fix a few other things, I am going to have them check the antenna system as well.
finalcountdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #12

Shark fin on Feather Lite doesn’t work

My husband and I just purchased a Jayco Feather Lite and that shark fin antenna is useless. We’ve camped in about 6 different campgrounds now and there has been only one campground where we could pick up any channels. Most of the time we get none! We were camping with another couple that also bought a 2020 Jayco and they have the same issue. Only our friends With older campers/antennas could pick up channels. Jayco should come up with a retrofit or replacement
Happy247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #13

Jayco should make ALL Employees spend a weekend in a Jayco RV randomly chosen from the assembly line . Then I bet they would take Moore pride in thier work. At least All Supervisors should have to spend a weekend in one of the RV’s built on thier shift. I bet quality would improve..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #14

We have the “shark fin” on the roof of our 2020 24RBS. Same story, very poor performance. We get some channels, but not near as many as we should. I have taken apart the wall panels, and checked all connections, all ok. If anyone knows how to get to this antenna without tearing up the roof, or how to improve its performance please post up. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #15

I agree, same issue with mine. Last camper was a 2017 and had must better reception at same camp sites I have been camping on. My parents Jayco camper that was parked next to mine for several days had several more channels and better reception. They need to do a Warrenty recall on this issue.
toddrod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #16

have same issues. No stations or very few when neighbours have some. Found milddle cable connector in back of antenna booster is coming loose from booster itself. Could this also be part of problem plaguing this make of antenna. Does anylne have one of these that actually works properly?
atmago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Jayco should make ALL Employees spend a weekend in a Jayco RV randomly chosen from the assembly line . Then I bet they would take Moore pride in thier work. At least All Supervisors should have to spend a weekend in one of the RV’s built on thier shift. I bet quality would improve..

That's brilliant!
Old 08-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #18
Wsw

I just programmed our 334rlok wineguard over the air. It is the big round one. We live 30 miles from the stations. Got like 45 channels over the air alone.

It probably is an antenna issue. Shame jayco just does not put the same antenna on them all. I am pleased with reception of ours.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #19

2020 Jayco Whitehawk

My wife and I recently purchased a new Whitehawk 24MBH. We have taken it out now about 6 times and we have not picked up 1 single channel. I have tried it at every single campsite as well as in my driveway. The coach has the “shark fin” style antenna. I called Jayco and they told me they had no known issues of this and that I would have to speak to my local dealer about A repair or a possible warranty claim.
GreensGoCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:25 PM   #20

How is your FM radio channel reception? Mine is useless for TV, but looks kind of ok for fm radio. Waiting to hear from you before contacting dealer for warranty claim. I'm considering asking the dealer to submit a claim with Jayco for a new antenna booster, model # 18031- 101- blk, and then ship it me. We're over 500 miles away from dealer. Maybe the booster is the faulty piece in the puzzle.
atmago is offline   Reply With Quote