Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #21

It's going to be worth less. How much depends on the market, buyer and condition of the unit. You will do far better in a personal sale vs trade in IMHO, but deprecation will slow after the 3rd year. Also today there are a record # of RV's owned, so the market could be saturated in a few years thus adding to lower values. On the up side prices keep climbing so the spread between used and new might allow for a higher used price. My unit MSRP has gone up almost 10K in three years.

I agree with all the sentiment that it's an investment in family bonding time which you can't value in $. Keeping within your means is wise as you may find it suits you longer than your planning. Schedules change with kids as they grow and time available shifts with that.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 05-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #22

I just sold my 2015 X23B that we bought in 2014, had almost 2 full years of use. I sold it privately and took $5,000 less than I paid new. It was in great shape and I probably could have held out for more but storage and the desire not to own 2 campers helped make my decision. As so many have, I would strongly agree with mike837go's first post. The memories made those 2 years dwarf the hit we took. We loved it so much we upgraded the camper and tow vehicle. The kids are always counting the days to our next camping trip like they were counting down to Christmas!
B&W Companion
Old 05-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #23

From what I understand the floor plan I want wasn't made until recently so I am looking at new no matter what. I am going to contact a local sales rep I have talked to and let him know my situation. If his boss wants to make a sale I could technically buy at any time but I am not going to rush in and pay what they are asking. Either way the kids will be sleeping in bunks for 2017 and the little one will just sleep with us for awhile on the queen. So looking forward to a smooth bed that isn't a converted couch
Old 05-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider68 View Post
.... So looking forward to a smooth bed that isn't a converted couch
THAT alone is worth the upgrade!!!!!

Ask SWMBO.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
Old 05-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #25

Quote:
From what I understand the floor plan I want wasn't made until recently so I am looking at new no matter what. I am going to contact a local sales rep I have talked to and let him know my situation. If his boss wants to make a sale I could technically buy at any time but I am not going to rush in and pay what they are asking. Either way the kids will be sleeping in bunks for 2017 and the little one will just sleep with us for awhile on the queen. So looking forward to a smooth bed that isn't a converted couch
Maybe not the exact floorplan, but has to be several with similar layouts and features. Don't want to get hosed a few years down the road, then compromise now to get what you want down the road. Sounds to me like you've made up your mind so go for it. The dealer isn't going to fall on his knees to give you a better deal than the next guy so shoot for 30% off MSRP and understand that in 5 years you will sell for 50% to 70% less. Its just the way the RV world works.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #26

You might well do better than a 10k loss, considering the low purchase price. In early 2011 ours listed for a tad under 40 new, we paid a tad under 27, and I see a NH dealer has a "sale" price of 20,795. Considering it's a dealer's price, I'd guess I'd get maybe around 15-17 selling to a private party. Lots of speculation there, but you could possibly do much better buying used.

In '09, after a lot of searching, I paid 12,500 for an '08 Forest River product purchased from a private party. My idea was, this being my first camper, I'd want something different once I had a little experience. 2 years later I sold it for 12,500. I'd added an EMS and electric jack, so my loss was only add-ons. You might consider that approach if you are concerned with depreciation. Especially if, after a season or two, you find that model isn't everything you'd hoped for.

I do agree with other posters who put the experience above the money. But we are not in your shoes.

Whatever you buy, I hope you and your family enjoy the heck out of it.
'14 Denali XL
Old 05-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #27

Since I've been fulltiming in my $17k TT for the last few years, and own no "real" house anymore, I figure I'm now coming out ahead of the game, regardless of any depreciation. I'll make this TT last as long as possible, and from the looks and condition of it I will get many more years of low cost living.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #28

Well I posted my camper for sale and already have someone coming tonight. Good time of the year. My wife wants to just tent it and have the kids stay with her in my parents camper this summer. We only have 6 nights of camping planned this summer. We could pay cash for the new one if I wait a year. Either way I will have it clear in 12 months even if I finance some. Might wait for the 2017s to land to see if we like them more or use them to get a deal on a 2016. It's all going to work out either way. Next year we will be out a lot. Everyone tells us we are nuts to take a 12 week old camping but if you look for an excuse not to go then you would only stay home!
Old 05-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #29

Some of our best memories were camping with our infant. We bathed her in the sink. She looks back at lots of pictures today and can't believe how little she was.

The time you spend together is priceless.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #30

Quote:
I should add that we have a smaller hi lo right now but my 3 and 4 year old won't sleep next to each other. They are best friends but need their space at night. So as of right now that puts four of us on the King below. I can always hop out into a tent if needed. My wife has her facilities so either way we get to camp. But knowing their is a better option is very tempting!

Good comments about kids and how they will wear it harder. Sometimes I still think about how I take care of something and forget to add the "kid" factor in.

Too bad you can't test an RV overnight like you can a car!
My family and I tested the waters by renting for a week each summer for several years until we decided it would be cheaper to own one (we spent much more on rentals than we did by purchasing). It cost us about $1000 each time. Now that we own one, I can say we have saved a ton of money in that respect. We go out about every other weekend from April to the end of October while taking 2-3 weeks in between. About paid for itself the first year.

I expect it to depreciate at an exponential rate, we paid $13k cash so it should equate to around $9700 after the first year. I haven't checked KBB or NADA yet. Doesn't matter, I like to think of investing in family which is priceless to me.

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehound View Post
My family and I tested the waters by renting for a week each summer for several years until we decided it would be cheaper to own one (we spent much more on rentals than we did by purchasing). It cost us about $1000 each time. Now that we own one, I can say we have saved a ton of money in that respect. We go out about every other weekend from April to the end of October while taking 2-3 weeks in between. About paid for itself the first year.

I expect it to depreciate at an exponential rate, we paid $13k cash so it should equate to around $9700 after the first year. I haven't checked KBB or NADA yet. Doesn't matter, I like to think of investing in family which is priceless to me.
Your math might be a bit fuzzy. Buying is not always cheaper and it all depends on your usage habits. Renting 1 week a year for say 10 years will cost you [your weekly rate $1000] $10,000. Buy a TT for say $$13,000 and after 5 or 6 years when you want to upgrade depreciation has eaten up $6 or $7 k. But once you have found what you want after several rentals, getting your own RV has its benefits. On the other hand camping 5 times as much and say you are saving are not the cost of the extra 4 movies since your usage habit has changed. Likewise owning your own rig will allow you to camp more often and reap all the benefits that that brings. If you bought your RV and then continued to go out 1 week per year, you would have been many times better off by continuing to rent since you avoid depreciation, maintenance, insurance and storage costs.

People who buy but have limited usage are the reason you have a better chance finding a clean 2 or 3 year old RV that has almost no actual usage and if stored well is in almost new condition. RVs and boats share that pattern. If you want to save money by buying your RV, look for one of those barely used units sitting in someones drive way.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Your math might be a bit fuzzy. Buying is not always cheaper and it all depends on your usage habits. Renting 1 week a year for say 10 years will cost you [your weekly rate $1000] $10,000. Buy a TT for say $$13,000 and after 5 or 6 years when you want to upgrade depreciation has eaten up $6 or $7 k. But once you have found what you want after several rentals, getting your own RV has its benefits. On the other hand camping 5 times as much and say you are saving are not the cost of the extra 4 movies since your usage habit has changed. Likewise owning your own rig will allow you to camp more often and reap all the benefits that that brings. If you bought your RV and then continued to go out 1 week per year, you would have been many times better off by continuing to rent since you avoid depreciation, maintenance, insurance and storage costs.

People who buy but have limited usage are the reason you have a better chance finding a clean 2 or 3 year old RV that has almost no actual usage and if stored well is in almost new condition. RVs and boats share that pattern. If you want to save money by buying your RV, look for one of those barely used units sitting in someones drive way.
Correction to last post, a section got deleted.

The cost comparison example was renting a movie once a week and then joining netflics and watching 5 per week. Your net savings is not $20 per week since you have the cost of netflics and your usage pattern has changed.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #33
Site Team

I never bought a rv thinking I would get it all back when it is sold.

It is a lifestyle that we enjoy and no amount of money can replace the memories and things we have experienced.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 05-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #34

Pretty informative thread folks, thanks for the input.
Dave
Old 05-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #35

Quote:

My main point here is I tested the waters before I purchased so I would know this is what we wanted to do. I wasn't intending to break down the math so I could be scrutinized. I should not have mentioned any figures, my mistake.

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehound View Post
My main point here is I tested the waters before I purchased so I would know this is what we wanted to do. I wasn't intending to break down the math so I could be scrutinized. I should not have mentioned any figures, my mistake.
Sorry if my comment sounded critical. Just wanted to point out to others that buying an rv or boat is rarely if ever a good investment other than in family fun and memories. Renting, even long term, can be a better choice to buying for people who only camp infrequently. I'm a buyer so kind of a been there done that kind of experience. Our TT's give us the freedom to go and do what and where we want. That is the beauty of retirement.

Have a couple of friends who after renting condos on the beach for a few years decided to buy one, thinking they could rent it out to cover the mortgage until they could retire. The short of the story both regretted their decision.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Sorry if my comment sounded critical. Just wanted to point out to others that buying an rv or boat is rarely if ever a good investment other than in family fun and memories. Renting, even long term, can be a better choice to buying for people who only camp infrequently. I'm a buyer so kind of a been there done that kind of experience. Our TT's give us the freedom to go and do what and where we want. That is the beauty of retirement.

Have a couple of friends who after renting condos on the beach for a few years decided to buy one, thinking they could rent it out to cover the mortgage until they could retire. The short of the story both regretted their decision.

Its all good. Advice appreciated.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Some of our best memories were camping with our infant. We bathed her in the sink. She looks back at lots of pictures today and can't believe how little she was.

The time you spend together is priceless.
We started my boy at about 6 weeks. I was determined to get him started early so he would get used to the environment. He's 19 months now, and you can tell he likes the trailer. I don't know if he's picking up on my vibes, or if he really likes it himself? Either way, it warms my heart that he smiles and laughs that much more in the trailer. Your story reminds me that we need to be taking more pictures, and getting out there more!

I think even if we went out twice a month, I'd be saying we're not going enough. Our current rate of once about every 6 weeks during season is driving me crazy!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 05-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #39

I thought I would give this thread a conclusion for now. We sold our camper this morning and headed out to our local Jayco dealer. We were able to purchase the Jay Feather 19BH we wanted for 28% off MSRP. We are still estimating a 5-7 year run before upgrading so we will see someday what I get out of it. Can't wait to bring it home!
Old 05-29-2016, 01:01 AM   #40

Congratulations on your new rig!
Closed Thread