Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Anticipated Depreciation

Are there any good rule of thumb estimates you can use to predict what a camper will be worth in 5 years vs what it costs new, perhaps as a percentage?

My dilemma is we are now a family of 5 with three boys all under 5. We looked at the Jay Feather 19BH and feel that it would serve our needs for at least 5 years into the future and then we'd be looking for something bigger. I currently don't own a full size truck so this is about as big as I want to go. If I bought this little unit I could slow down and not rush the purchase on a truck and a bigger camper down the road. I'm estimating I could get the 19BH for about $17k before tax which is fine but what wouldn't be fine is losing $10k in value over the next five years. Any thoughts on $$$ planning would be great! Thanks

Old 05-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

A well maintained unit can retail for 50% of it original value after 10 years. Private sale probably 35-40%. I only know this because we had our previous hybrid for 10 years when we traded it. Not sure how the math would work for 5 years.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

In my limited experience and overrated opinion:

An RV drops to 75% of the price you paid as soon as you take it off the lot.

It drops to 50% over the next two years.

If it has not been kept in very-good-to-excellent condition it'll drop to 25% over the next 3-5 years.

If you take care to wash it, make every repair, replace all worn or dried-out parts and make sure the exterior is never sun-damaged, then you can expect close to 50% of the original cost.

Lets be realistic; will anything owned by a family with 3 boys under 5 survive for 5 years? I had a boy and a girl. The amount of minor damage they cause (crayons, food spills) just from being children will devalue anything you buy faster than 'standard expectations"!

Now, stop looking at an RV as an investment. Look at is an entertainment, a toy or better yet, a path to adventure and time with your family!

If you want an RV to go places or camp out and ENJOY family time, spend the money without the expectation of getting it back. 2-foot-itis bites deep and never lets go.

Jump in, the water is fine! It's an investment in family. And that is wealth beyond measure!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
BCK

Good question. I am curious to hear opinions on this thread too.

One thing that may affect it in the next few years is the sheer number of trailers being sold these days. I was reading recently that the last 2 years have both had record sales for new RV's so would stand to reason that in the next few years there should be more used ones kicking around maybe lowering the price accordingly.

Here in BC the low CAN$ vs US$ has brought up the value of used considerably and anything decent is very hard to find right now. The new ones are all made in the US and so cost 30%+ more for us now than when the $ was around par. For some right now the used ones are worth more than they were new a few years ago. My father-in-law sold his 43ft coach he bought new 3yr ago and actually made money on it. It was bought in Arizona in USD at about par and he sold it in CAN$ when our dollar was close to 40% lower this past winter.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #5

Don't know if it is reliable or not but I once heard that travel trailers depreciated at a rate of about $1500 per $10,000 a year for the first 5 yrs.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
BCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
In my limited experience and overrated opinion:

Jump in, the water is fine! It's an investment in family. And that is wealth beyond measure!
Well said!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #7

FWIW, book on my 40K$ 2008 Arctic Fox is 14K$

I would not purchase any RV thinking that your going to get much out of it in resale. Yes you will get something and eventually it will hit bottom (which is about where mine is) and stabilize in value but the first few years the value is going to plummet.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post

Now, stop looking at an RV as an investment. Look at is an entertainment, a toy or better yet, a path to adventure and time with your family!
+1 ALL THE WAY. An RV is an absolutely horrific "investment" in the traditional definition of the word. If the terms of your ROI include "adventure" and "fun" and "camaraderie" and "family bonding", you'll be a lot better off!

Sorry, I have not $$ input for the original question. While I do see the value of asking it, it is at best a tertiary concern for me.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #9

I should add that we have a smaller hi lo right now but my 3 and 4 year old won't sleep next to each other. They are best friends but need their space at night. So as of right now that puts four of us on the King below. I can always hop out into a tent if needed. My wife has her facilities so either way we get to camp. But knowing their is a better option is very tempting!

Good comments about kids and how they will wear it harder. Sometimes I still think about how I take care of something and forget to add the "kid" factor in.

Too bad you can't test an RV overnight like you can a car!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider68 View Post

Too bad you can't test an RV overnight like you can a car!
You can come close by visiting RV dealers as a complete family. Tell the sales rep what you need/want (big gap!).

Then enter a few units that appear to "fit the bill".

Then walk away. Go home and discuss. Even the little one will have an opinion on what you saw.

Do that to at least 3 different dealers.

The right RV will find your family.

-------------------

I went to 2 different dealers and neither sales rep showed me what we were willing to buy. An ignored little unit parked next to the back door of the showroom 'called to me'.

My advice: Listen to your heart and what everybody in the family has to say. If all agree on a unit, everybody will be willing to go anywhere!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
Closed Thread