Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Antifreeze vs Blowout

We are going to get ready to winterize our 267bhs in the next few weeks and wondered if there were many opinions on blowing out the water lines with an air compressor and dumping some anti-freeze down the drains vs. pumping anti-freeze throughout the whole system and sanitizing and spring.
It is getting stored on the pad next to my house in Minnesota so the winters can get a bit brutal.

Thanks
wbigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I will do both.....I paid a lot of money for this thing....nothing is going to happen to it if I have anything to do with it....10 dollars worth of pink and maybe 100 gallons of water to rinse in the spring.
No brainer IMO
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

I do both. It's cheap insurance. I can winterize for under $20 using 3 gallons of antifreeze after I blow out the lines with compressed air @ 40psi. I like having antifreeze in the system because it keeps rubber seals from drying out - grey and black tank valves, toilet bowl seal, even the faucet seals themselves. Make sure you remember to winterize the city water connection, outdoor shower, and black tank flush line as well.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Here in TX, I got away with just blowing out my system and dropping some pink stuff in the traps last winter. It will be the last winter I do that. Like mentioned above, it's not worth the risk, and it's cheap to do both.

Now, this was in TX where we can sometimes count the number of nights below freezing with our fingers, and most years we don't even need both hands. Most of those nights it gets significantly above freezing during the day after a night below freezing.

If I'm you, in MN, I would do a full winterization (pink stuff everywhere) without even a second thought.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

Even a small amount of water can freeze and expand, damaging a waterline. It is cheap, cheap, cheap to buy a couple or 3 gallons of antifreeze and displace any expandable water.

Blowing with water may, or may not, remove all the water. Antifreeze is your safest bet at removing water.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I just blow out the lines, drain the tanks, drain the hot water tank, and poor a gallon or so down the P-traps and have never had a problem. A little water freezing in the bottom of a flat holding tank won't hurt anything. The PVC drains are schedule 40 and shouldn't break even with some water in there. Many other parts of the camper are flex hose which will expand without damage if there is any left over water in a line. I go through all my lines and drains twice cracking them one at a time just to be sure. Plenty of RV owners do it this way with no problems. The cool thing is when you are ready to use the camper next spring all you have to do is fill the fresh water tank and you are good to go rather than pump and blow out all that sticky RV antifreeze and then sanitize and rinse and then clean up the mess as it always gets all over stuff. This seems to me to be four time the work and take four times as long as just blowing the lines out which only takes a few minutes. I use 20 - 30 psi air pressure BTW.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #7

I do both. It's only a few minutes to blow out the lines and doesn't cost anything.

But this is really personal preference. I really don't know anyone that has only done one or the other that has had freeze issues. On the flip side I do know someone that replaced plumbing (at a cost of $600) because he thought winterizing was a gimmick.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
On the flip side I do know someone that replaced plumbing (at a cost of $600) because he thought winterizing was a gimmick.
Oops, that's an expensive lesson! AND that assumes that only the plumbing was damaged. If you have a cracked fitting in an obscure place, you could be leaking water for a while before you even notice. Then you have additional repair issues above and beyond replacing the plumbing.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
I just blow out the lines, drain the tanks, drain the hot water tank, and poor a gallon or so down the P-traps and have never had a problem. A little water freezing in the bottom of a flat holding tank won't hurt anything. The PVC drains are schedule 40 and shouldn't break even with some water in there. Many other parts of the camper are flex hose which will expand without damage if there is any left over water in a line. I go through all my lines and drains twice cracking them one at a time just to be sure. Plenty of RV owners do it this way with no problems. The cool thing is when you are ready to use the camper next spring all you have to do is fill the fresh water tank and you are good to go rather than pump and blow out all that sticky RV antifreeze and then sanitize and rinse and then clean up the mess as it always gets all over stuff. This seems to me to be four time the work and take four times as long as just blowing the lines out which only takes a few minutes. I use 20 - 30 psi air pressure BTW.
This is exactly what I do, and the same reason I do it this way. I have never had any issues caused by water freezing in the lines over the winter months, and it does get COLD on occasion. We saw -20F a few times last winter.
PS @ wwsmith111 - My truck has towed the truck that towed the space shuttle...

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

That's great Bobx2 lol! A Duramax is on my wishlist!
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
PS @ wwsmith111 - My truck has towed the truck that towed the space shuttle...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #12

... never had a freezing problem (while living in Ohio) and never used any other system than blow the lines clear and add antifreeze to the traps.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #13

I've had no problems for many years just blowing out the lines, but I see nothing wrong with doing both. I don't think that there's enough water to break anything when I'm done. Don't forget to blow out the black tank flush too and any water filters you may have. There can possibly be some water in there.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #14

Drain the hot water tank. Blow the lines thoroughly. Pour anti freeze down the traps. Never a problem.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #15

What about the water line going from the fresh tank into the pump? I know the valve gets shut off on that line so the syphon line can suck antifreeze but would there be a bit of water left behind that? Or would gravity cause it to fall back into the fresh tank?
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #16

Never actually looked at it. I hook the air line up to the city water connection and blow out all of the water. It does take some time as I go to each faucet/toilet a few times back and forth. I blow till there is no water at all.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #17

Just did mine for the first time. Used antifreeze without blowing the lines. It seems to me like an unnecessary step, since the water is displaced by the antifreze anyways. jMO.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
Just did mine for the first time. Used antifreeze without blowing the lines. It seems to me like an unnecessary step, since the water is displaced by the antifreze anyways. jMO.
it would mix not displace IMO. where blowing out would allow for a higher concentrate.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #19

As a fellow Minnesota I would absolutely at minimum use the pink stuff. Personally I blow out the lines, drain the tanks, make sure the bypass valves during the process are all opened to ensure there is no potential captured water in any vertical sections. I open the screen filter on the pump and clean it, this will drain any water in the pickup tube. Once I feel that I have the system drained, then and only then do I add antifreeze. I bypass the water heater, it is a mess to drain and rinse if you add antifreeze to it. I also make sure to add enough antifreeze to the traps.

My reason to blow the lines first; It gets really cold here and I do not want to risk diluting the antifreeze and risk a ruptured pipe. My opinion, a little extra work will guaranty that in the spring all I have to due is flush, sterilize and go.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #20

I used to do both. But now just run the pink stuff through all the water lines.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote