Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #1

Any 28BHS Owners with two battery setup

Any of you have the 28BHS with two batteries installed. I've been doing my research since last year when I bought my trailer and now I'm ready to install the second battery. Already had a new group 24 box. Went to install it and I don't have enough room to fit two of those boxes on the support rails. I already moved the original box over as far left as I could but the wiring harness kept me from moving it any more. Went to install the new box and I can barely fit it after cutting one of the handles off the box, but then there's no way I can install the cover. I was just hoping to see anyones set up if they've already done it. I've already started looking at new boxes that will hold two batteries in it, but they don't fit on the existing frame, so I'd have to add new support rails. Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
battery_01.jpg   battery_02.jpg  
Old 03-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

A different trailer, but similar space issue: One cover overlaps the other and I had to trim boxes and covers to fit, but the tops of both batteries are covered. If you look close it isn't pretty, but it works so I'm OK with it.

Just a caution: It sounds as though your batteries are different years and maybe brands. It is recommended that both batteries be as identical (size, manufacturer, and manufacture date) as possible for the best performance. For some it has worked out fine with non-identical batteries.

You didn't mention your plans. I have been disappointed in the battery charging performance of my WFCO converter/charger when using my generator a few hours a day. Keep an eye on your battery state-of-charge so you don't ruin them prematurely.

Hope that is some help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't bought the second battery yet. My plan is to go the 6V battery route now. Initially I was just going to get another 12V battery that matched the one that came with the trailer and once those both failed then go the 6V battery route. I think I can create enough room for both of these boxes if I reroute the cable harness. I just didn't feel too comfortable doing that after I opened up the electrical box and found the mess in there lol.
Attached Thumbnails
battery_03.jpg  
Old 03-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

Did you have a picture of your setup?
Old 03-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

Okay I figured it out and decided to convert to the 2 6V golf cart batteries. Happy I finally got this done. Only problem is the covers to the box don't snap on because the golf batteries are too tall. So now I have to get two new battery boxes that hopefully are the same dimensions as the Group 24 NOCO boxes just taller. Here's some pics of the setup.
Attached Thumbnails
battery_01.jpg   battery_02.jpg  
Old 03-30-2019, 05:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
Okay I figured it out and decided to convert to the 2 6V golf cart batteries. Happy I finally got this done. Only problem is the covers to the box don't snap on because the golf batteries are too tall. So now I have to get two new battery boxes that hopefully are the same dimensions as the Group 24 NOCO boxes just taller. Here's some pics of the setup.

Nice job!!! I also have a 2018 28 BHS (and a RAM 3500 CTD CC). I bought another group 24 battery box that matches the one that came with the camper over the winter to have a dual battery set up this spring when I opened it up for the season. On a nice day after I got the 2nd battery box, I went out and did a dry fit and I had the same issue where both boxes would not fit on the tray because of the wire harness. I put everything away and told myself I would deal with it in the spring. Fortunately I have not bought a second battery yet. I was going to buy two new batteries since my existing battery is now a year old. I already have the two heavy duty jumpers ready to go.

Did you end up moving the wire harness?

I hear that dual 6 volt batteries are better than dual 12 volt batteries.

What is the difference in price between the 6V and 12V?

What do I need to look for in the batteries if I go the dual 6V route?

Cheers [emoji482]
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Nice job!!! I also have a 2018 28 BHS (and a RAM 3500 CTD CC). I bought another group 24 battery box that matches the one that came with the camper over the winter to have a dual battery set up this spring when I opened it up for the season. On a nice day after I got the 2nd battery box, I went out and did a dry fit and I had the same issue where both boxes would not fit on the tray because of the wire harness. I put everything away and told myself I would deal with it in the spring. Fortunately I have not bought a second battery yet. I was going to buy two new batteries since my existing battery is now a year old. I already have the two heavy duty jumpers ready to go.

Did you end up moving the wire harness?

I hear that dual 6 volt batteries are better than dual 12 volt batteries.

What is the difference in price between the 6V and 12V?

What do I need to look for in the batteries if I go the dual 6V route?

Cheers [emoji482]
So I didn't move the wire harness. What I did was unbolt it from the middle of the frame and pushed it over as far up against the wire harness as I could and screwed it back down to the frame. Then I cut the handles off the second battery box so it was fit. Screwed that down to the frame. Then I had to cut a part of the cover for that box in order for it to fit in place. See attached picture.

Then I decided since my 12V battery was already over 6 months old I decided to get the 6V Interstate batteries from Costco since they were only $100 each. That's the setup I wanted to end up with anyway. The two 6V golf deep cycle batteries give you a lot more amp hours from all my research. You need that when you dry camp which is what I do when I go out hunting.
Attached Thumbnails
battery_03.jpg