Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Just curious - what are the cons of dumping soapy water, including grey tank water on the grass? I actually heard that this may have positive effect on the grass. I understand that dumping kitchen water with some food residues may not be the best solution, but shower water...? Just asking, pls don't shoot.
When boondocking some parks ask you to do it so it waters the trees and grass. Just depends on where you are camping. Grey water can be very very stinky so you don't want a puddle of it just outside trailer. Make sure you are using biodegradable soap and I see no problem putting water back where it belongs instead of a septic dump. YMMV
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #22

All of this from the others is great information. BUT, it's always best to check with the forest services if they even allow grey water dumping. I know in AZ it's actually against the law and a heavy fine or jail term as well. There's a way around that too my making a grey water dump filter from a 5 gallon bucket. It filters the water somewhat and the rangers normally don't bother you.
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #23

What about tent campers and outside showers that are used in many campgrounds. Tell me tent campers collect dish water and take to the dump and where does the water go from one of these enclosed outdoor showers? I have even seen a double outdoor shower in use at a Florida State Park with no comments from the rangers.

But if that same water goes through a gray tank "Don't You Dare Do That".

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #24

Never heard anyone say that the law has to make sense It is what it is...

When we had our popup, our grey water ended up in the bushes. (shhhhh)
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #25

It doesn't take much and to mess it up for others. I am sure people saw it being done and assumed it was a black tank and complained. Also if dumping large quantities of water it could cause erosion issues. Since often people can't make the right judgement call they just flat out ban it. It is easier to blanket deny the practice than get into arguments with people saying they did it last time and it was fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Just curious - what are the cons of dumping soapy water, including grey tank water on the grass? I actually heard that this may have positive effect on the grass. I understand that dumping kitchen water with some food residues may not be the best solution, but shower water...? Just asking, pls don't shoot.
I don't think soapy water is particularly good for the environment. So dumping it in an area where it may get into streams is not ideal. Also, gray water containing food chucks my attached unwanted (think large four legged) animals.
Of course, like most things, it all depends on population density. If you are camping by yourself miles from the next camper, and you dump a little gray water or take an outdoor shower, no big deal. If the area gets lots of camping traffic and everyone decided to dump their gray water, then it is not so good.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
I don't think soapy water is particularly good for the environment. So dumping it in an area where it may get into streams is not ideal. Also, gray water containing food chucks my attached unwanted (think large four legged) animals.
Of course, like most things, it all depends on population density. If you are camping by yourself miles from the next camper, and you dump a little gray water or take an outdoor shower, no big deal. If the area gets lots of camping traffic and everyone decided to dump their gray water, then it is not so good.
Agreed 100%. Boondocking out by yourself is what I was referring to. Can you imagine if everyone at a campground started dumping grey everywhere.
What a mess and smell that would be.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #28

I think our popup had a fresh water capacity of less than 20 gallons, the only thing we used that water for was washing our hands, with bio-degradable soap. If someone is hucking chunks of rotting meat and food debris out in the forest in populated camping areas, they have serious problems. Kind of a no brainer... A little common sense goes a long way. Our popup didn't even have a holding tank for the grey water, it literally just poured out on the ground unless we had a bucket under it, which we did. Where to empty said bucket was actually a real issue at times.

I've been known to pee on a tree or two in recent memory as well
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I think our popup had a fresh water capacity of less than 20 gallons, the only thing we used that water for was washing our hands, with bio-degradable soap. If someone is hucking chunks of rotting meat and food debris out in the forest in populated camping areas, they have serious problems. Kind of a no brainer... A little common sense goes a long way. Our popup didn't even have a holding tank for the grey water, it literally just poured out on the ground unless we had a bucket under it, which we did. Where to empty said bucket was actually a real issue at times.

I've been known to pee on a tree or two in recent memory as well
Our pop up was the same way lol, gross fun. It was the same when tent camping with grey water. When we washed dishes, and washed hands/faces and brushed teeth it's the same as RV grey water. We had no where to put it or store it so it goes into the bushes or trees. Biodegradable soap and common sense go a long long way. When some idiot pulls the handle and floods the neighbors site with 39 gallons of RV grey water there lies the problem.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #30

Any Boondocking advice?

We use 2 - 6 Volt batteries in our set up and what we've found when boon docking is that we can go about 5-7 days carefully metering power. Necessities for us were furnace, hot water tank (only on during the day for about 2 hours), lights, satellite radio (17 hours a day). After 5-7 days our battery was down to about 55%.

Sorry to say. If I were you, I'd forget about the TV, besides, you're camping, leave the TV at home!! :-). I'd also find a good percolator coffee pot.
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #31

Gray Water

If you let them dump gray in the forest, then people would start dumping black in the Forest.Stink up the whole place, dump stations work fine for us!
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #32

Get a water transfer system, transfer pump, and container for water. 55 gallon barrels are most common. I recently got a Aquatank2 that I'm impressed with.

Solar is a good thing to have, I have 320 watts, a 750 watt inverter, and a pretty good controller. In all I have about $1500 into it with batteries.

I'd say a inverter generator is essential for boondocking for any length of time too.

With boondocking you need bring everything, tables, chairs, BBQs, some places we boondocking at don't allow open flames so you might consider a gas grill instead of a charcoal one. A Lantern for outside, etc. there's a lot more but it's going to depend on your preferences.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0410.JPG  

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote