Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Any experience with rear bumper bike rack/hitch

I have a 2014 Ultralite 197. We are wanting to take our bikes with us and the only solution I am considering is the Swagman 64663 2 bike platform rack. Does anyone have experience either good or bad with a bumper mounted hitch. I have heard all the horror stories. So if you have had an actual good or bad experience with this kind of hitch/rack, or a similar bumper mounted hitch/rack, I would like to hear from you. Thanks

here is a link:http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-64663-...=swagman+64663
Jma3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

Bike racks are a hot topic on this forum. I am not familiar with your 197’s construction. But most lightweight TTs do not have a bumper strong enough to support any kind of bike rack. I have a welded 2” receiver hitch on the back of my 23B. It is welded to the frame, and does not touch the bumper. I had an old school cheap bike rack I used for the last two years. It worked fine, but I noticed this summer that a gusset bracket had a little twist in it. So I bought the Swagman 4 bike platform (do not recall the model number), but it looks a lot like your two bike unit. I have only used it once, but it seemed rock solid, with three bikes on it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

There's a common sense factor. I would see no problem carrying (2) lightweight bikes on a lightweight bumper mounted bike carrier.

That said - the double bike rack (w/ receiver) in your auction is pretty hefty at 55-60#. I have a Thule (4) Bike Tilting Rack with Cable Lock, License Plate Light / Holder (and Curt Receiver) that weigh in at 30#. If it were me....I would look for something much lighter.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Site Team

I have had one break the welds. I would not even consider it without having a welding shop beef it up or install a frame attached receiver.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #5

we had out bikes mounted on the bumper and the weld did not break but the metal bumber cracked and ripped on both sides. so i welded some enforcements to the frame and bumper both sides on top and bottom this works great. there was only two bikes and spare tire mounted to bumper. looked pretty funny when i walked behind trailer and saw bikes and tire at about 45 degrees. darn good thing i checked on them.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #6

I have seen far too many bikes shaking themselves to death on the back of TT's and 5'ers while driving down the road, that I would never put a bike on the back of mine. My 5'er came with a bike rack and has a 1.5" receiver hitch on it from the factory. I have never used this hitch and won't and I even sold the bike rack without ever opening the box.

That is just me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #7

Any experience with rear bumper bike rack/hitch

I have traveled a few years and have hauled bikes but I have always went to a weld shop that works with rv dealerships and knows the stress put on them from the action of the trailer. Most receiver bike racks will say on them not for trailers just because of the stress from the up and down action. I also double tow a Polaris RZR out west every year and it was breaking 2" straps that hold the RZR to the trailer. I now use tire bonnets and not a problem 2,500 miles each way. Most people don't see what's going on back their only people behind them . I have a camera that I can see. My suggestion is if you are going any distance have a good hitch welded to the frame by a professional that knows rvs
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #8

I have that exact rack and use it in a frame welded 2" receiver on the back of my jayco. That specific rack is designed for the abuse the back of the trailer dishes out and the anti wobble pin works really well. I would never consider using the included bumper mount though, that's asking for trouble in my opinion.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #9

You might want to consider this type.....

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-2-Bike...im_sbs_auto_10

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I have considered this type because....

- it eliminates bounce and sway as noted on conventional receiver type cantilevered racks
- it can double as a platform to carry my empty waste water tank or wet outdoor mat (those times I get caught breaking camp in a storm)
- it distributes the weight to (4) points across the bumper (instead of focusing it to a single point like receiver type carriers)
- it is ultralight at less than 20#

The downside is they are less convenient to remove and work best with bikes of similar size.

Something to think about....whatever you consider....go lightweight
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Bike racks are a hot topic on this forum. I am not familiar with your 197’s construction. But most lightweight TTs do not have a bumper strong enough to support any kind of bike rack. I have a welded 2” receiver hitch on the back of my 23B. It is welded to the frame, and does not touch the bumper. I had an old school cheap bike rack I used for the last two years. It worked fine, but I noticed this summer that a gusset bracket had a little twist in it. So I bought the Swagman 4 bike platform (do not recall the model number), but it looks a lot like your two bike unit. I have only used it once, but it seemed rock solid, with three bikes on it.
I have the 23j and it seems to bounce alot going down the road.....how does your 23b do on the road. I am thinking of doing the same thing and having a receiver hitch welded to the frame but I am concerned about the bounce
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #11

I have a 4 bike rack on the back of my 184BH. I hold 2 small bikes and 2 big bikes bikes on it. This year I will reinforcing and adding gussets to the bumper. M might actually replace the entire bumper with a similar size box, but thicker metal. I don't like the weight on the bumper as it is, but I am putting the heaviest weight as close the the inside of the holder as possible. I needed a way to carry bikes but I do have space anywhere else. We use the inside of the camper a lot enroute for bathroom breaks so putting them inside was not a great option. For as short of trips as I have done with the bikes, I took a risk and it has worked out so far. Gamble... Yes. Short term... Yes... Good idea, probably not, but it has worked for me so far.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #12

What about a front receiver hitch on the tow vehicle? I mounted one to my snow plow frame so will be using that next year. I hate not being able to see the bikes going down the road. I have lost bikes before on our old EXP 232 when some bolts broke. I made a hitch for it and eventually drilled the frame for larger bolts and never had another issue. On the 26BH we have now, I also made a bumper hitch that goes back to a second cross member.

Jayco EXP 232:

26 BH:

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #13

Thanks for all the replies, After reading the comments and calling Jayco, we decided to buy folding bikes.
Jma3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #14

I would not put anything of value on the backend of a TT. In my time of pulling TT I have lost one bumper and it did not have a thing on it.
A travel trailer is a teeter-totter, it pivots a ridged frame on an axle/s somewhat close to center. The rear is not riding on a 4 footed suspension system like a motorhome or a truck, it's being launched up and down by the movement of the ball. When the ball goes up the rear of the TT goes down, quickly it moves. Image a teeter-totter with somoene on one end jerking that end up and down while you are sitting on it.

If you have ever been inside a TT while it's going down the road you would quickly find a way to get yourself over the axles and stay there, as that's the only place where thats not overreacting to the changes in height of the hitch. (This is against the law and I am not saying here that I have ever done this.)

Our bicycles stay in the bed of our truck. Other than that they would go inside and close to center of the axles.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I have the 23j and it seems to bounce alot going down the road.....how does your 23b do on the road. I am thinking of doing the same thing and having a receiver hitch welded to the frame but I am concerned about the bounce
My 23B does not seem to bounce much. I am using 1000 pound Equalizer bars, which may contribute to a smooth highway ride. My brother told me my old bike rack a T shaped cheap thing wobbled a lot. It wobbled a lot just sitting there too. That old rack it did not have any type of anti-rattle device. This new rack seems much sturdier and has an anti rattle device. Next spring when we go out with my brother again I will be able to get an update on how well things appear to hold up. If I think about it I may have to have them take a video of the back of the HTT as we are traveling down the road.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
My 23B does not seem to bounce much. I am using 1000 pound Equalizer bars, which may contribute to a smooth highway ride. My brother told me my old bike rack a T shaped cheap thing wobbled a lot. It wobbled a lot just sitting there too. That old rack it did not have any type of anti-rattle device. This new rack seems much sturdier and has an anti rattle device. Next spring when we go out with my brother again I will be able to get an update on how well things appear to hold up. If I think about it I may have to have them take a video of the back of the HTT as we are traveling down the road.
if you take a video post it, actually a post on what ever you figure out would be nice.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #17

In my opinion, a few hundred dollars for a proper frame-mounted receiver hitch is worth the peace of mind while towing, especially since you can't see your bikes while driving. A couple of nice bikes plus your rack, not to mention the bumper itself, can be worth easily 1 or 2 thousand dollars if not more. For me, it's worth doing it right and not risking losing your bikes or breaking your bumper.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #18

Save some money and put them in side the trailer or inside the bed of the truck got a quote for around 450$ for one to be placed on a 29bhs. YAH its a bit of a pain but there safe and secure
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote