Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #1

Any other 23RLSW owners here?

Just bought one yesterday pick it up tomorrow. Can anyone tell me things to look for or check on this model?
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
Just bought one yesterday pick it up tomorrow. Can anyone tell me things to look for or check on this model?
I just bought one as well, picking it up in January. Can't wait!

Roger
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:32 AM   #3

Congrats on your purchase!

We will have to stay in touch and compare notes as we go forward. I am adding the roof vent cover, jack flip foot and oxygenics shower head to mine this weekend.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #4

Hmmm... At the moment the only thing I'm planning is replacing the shower head. I'm OK with a few wood blocks, but the jack flip foot would be pretty cool. The other thing I think I'll need is new wheel chocks, 'cause I'm upgrading from a Jay Flight SLX 165RB - only has one axle.

What state are you in? Here in PA we're looking at a possible sales tax increase from 6% to as much as 7.25%. I haven't signed the final purchase papers yet because for tax purposes I have to deal with the money after Jan. 1, and the sales tax thing will cost a couple hundred dollars depending on when it takes effect.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

Well we are in Texas. and I also had to add a few chocks we upgraded from a StarCraft AR-ONE 18QB that was also a single axle trailer.

I see you are from Lancaster we loved the Amish area we visited there a couple years ago when we were still in Hotels.

We want to go back now with the trailer but probably be in two years when I retire.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 12-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

This year was our first with a TT since a Coleman popup more than 30 years ago, and we loved it. We also got a Thousand Trails 2-zone annual membership - seems there are something like 5 Thousand Trails resorts within about 50 miles of our home, which makes for a nice variety. Our *local* favorite is Thousand Trails Hershey, but we've also been to TT sites near Cape May, New Jersey, and Chesapeake Bay, which isn't far from Williamsburg, VA. So after enjoying this year with our *small* Jay Flight SLX 165RB, we decided we needed something a bit bigger. Hence the 23RLSW.

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
Old 01-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #7

For both of you, what is your feelings on your 23RLSW so far. We ordered one last week and will be delivered first part of March.

One thing we noticed after going back to look at the unit was the shower door hits the toilet and cannot open more than 1/2 way. Kind of a stupid design as far as I'm concerned. You think they would have used a curved base with 2 sliding doors. Other than that looking forward to taking delivery. Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
One thing we noticed after going back to look at the unit was the shower door hits the toilet and cannot open more than 1/2 way. Kind of a stupid design as far as I'm concerned. You think they would have used a curved base with 2 sliding doors. Other than that looking forward to taking delivery. Wireman
I noticed the shower door thing on our initial sales walkthrough, but it didn't really bother me. Although I agree, design could have been better on that. I just don't see it as a major concern.

Another recent purchaser of a 23RLSW mentioned here on the forums that his came with much larger holding tanks than the 22.5 gallon tanks the documentation claims.

As things have worked out, I'm still a couple of weeks away from picking mine up from the dealer. Then the fun starts.

Roger

Old 01-04-2016, 03:42 AM   #9

Quote:
For both of you, what is your feelings on your 23RLSW so far. We ordered one last week and will be delivered first part of March.

We just got back from a 4 day outing in ours was our first trip since we picked it up at Thanksgiving.

We loved it so far no concerns from our 4 day trip wife complained about the toilet seat creaking and feeling cheap. Was not something I thought was a problem. But I am sure a new seat is in the future!

Everything worked fine and only thing I noticed was a piece of trim at the bottom of the pass thru was loose will have to attend to that.

The shower door hitting the toilet was not a concern for us.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 01-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #10

We bought our 23RLSW in July of last year and was able to take it out a few times. We love it! Ours was a 2015 so came with the shower curtain instead of the doors. Wife really does not like the shower curtain and we inquired if we could change to the shower door after seeing the 2016 model and got talked out of it as it would void our warranty. Guess we will just change out the curtain instead. No other mods till spring now.
Just checking the Jayco website and see they have revised the model # and specs for the 2016 model of this trailer.
Harreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harreec View Post
We bought our 23RLSW in July of last year and was able to take it out a few times. We love it! Ours was a 2015 so came with the shower curtain instead of the doors. Wife really does not like the shower curtain and we inquired if we could change to the shower door after seeing the 2016 model and got talked out of it as it would void our warranty. Guess we will just change out the curtain instead. No other mods till spring now.
Just checking the Jayco website and see they have revised the model # and specs for the 2016 model of this trailer.
I checked the Jayco site and I do not see any changes for the 2016 23RLSW? It still lists the tanks as 22.5 gallon each and mine are 36 and 30.

Maybe I am not looking in the right place?
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 01-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

It is a bit confusing. If you look at the specs for the 23RLSW it has the smaller tanks but if you look at the specs for the 245RLSW it is exactly the same floorplan, obviously a bit larger chassis but the tanks are also much larger as you have stated.
Harreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harreec View Post
It is a bit confusing. If you look at the specs for the 23RLSW it has the smaller tanks but if you look at the specs for the 245RLSW it is exactly the same floorplan, obviously a bit larger chassis but the tanks are also much larger as you have stated.
I'm waiting to see when I get mine next Thursday. Maybe larger tanks are a special order option, too. Having said that, it doesn't matter to me, as my plans don't include any camping at locations without sewer hookups.

Roger

P.S. When my dealer had 'my' 23RLSW posted on their website, they also listed it with 30 gal. holding tanks, so for the moment I'm just waiting for clarification. The equipment detail sheet from Jayco does not say what the holding tank sizes are.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #14

They do sometimes make changes to floor plans during the production year. I've been told by the factory rep that the 23RLSW will now be wired for a bedroom TV with power source & a coax jack.. It is not a new option. Just a production change.

Possibly the same thing with the tanks. Wireman
Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #15

Another question. In using your 23RLSW, how effective is the furnace in heating the bath & bedroom area since they are somewhat closed off from the furnace? The A/C is ducted but not the heat.

Does it work ok or do you use portable heaters to compensate. 99% of our camping will be with hook ups. I ordered the enclosed underbelly. Hope that will help keep the floor area a little warmer during the cooler months. Wireman
Old 01-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Another question. In using your 23RLSW, how effective is the furnace in heating the bath & bedroom area since they are somewhat closed off from the furnace? The A/C is ducted but not the heat.

Does it work ok or do you use portable heaters to compensate. 99% of our camping will be with hook ups. I ordered the enclosed underbelly. Hope that will help keep the floor area a little warmer during the cooler months. Wireman
Another thing I had thought about, although we won't get a chance to try it out until early May when we take our new 23RLSW out for its first trip. My thinking is that we might just run the AC on 'fan only' if it has such a setting, which would circulate the air throughout. Ours has the enclosed underbelly, too.

Roger

Old 01-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #17

Well we are in Texas so not very cold but we were out last weekend and it was high 30's low 40's of course being from Texas it was cold to us!

We ran the heater and had it set at 65 degrees left curtain and bathroom door open and it seemed to work well. It was colder in the bedroom but not much.

In real cold weather it might be a problem. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 01-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #18

TxTwoSome, Thanks for the info. My concern was that not enough warm air would blow into the bedroom. If I remember right there is only 1 outlet blowing into the living area.

Not going to pass judgment yet on not having ducted heat until we try it ourselves with our camper. Wireman
Old 01-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #19

Wireman you are correct there is one outlet for the heater exiting into the living area.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 01-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #20

We got our 23 RLSW in July also and love it.
We've taken it to a lot of the nearby state parks an a big trip to Rocky Mt. National Park with out two dogs.
I have put an cover on the bathroom vent, a screen door protector and a push bar for screen. I replaced the stock shower curtain track with one that you can use real shower curtain rings with.
The oven didn't bake well at all so we got a rectangular pizza stone to put in it and now it bakes just fine.
No problems at all really.

We were in Estes Park in October, just above freezing and snowing in the upper elevations and the heater did fine.
It came on a lot and I kept wondering if I would have to go out and switch tanks but it seems the propane lasts forever.

Enjoy.
GoldDog is offline   Reply With Quote