Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #21

One more... If it is getting dark and you find yourself the one waiting to get by, turn your headlights OFF. Someone's lights in your eyes are enough to drive "me" crazy. Not only are you fighting the night, traffic in the CG, and now someone with their lights in your eyes. Rant over...

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #22

The one thing I have not seen anyone mention is to check your trailer brakes, I check mine as I leave my driveway on every trip.
Turn2Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #23

#1 make sure you get a good equallizing hitch.
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #24

With your new TT, you're going to need to buy some accessories. With respect to towing, it's helpful to have convex mirrors or some sort. If you have extended mirrors but convex mirrors are not incorporated as part of the unit, small round convex mirrors can be attached via an adhesive backing.

As others have stated, make sure your WDH is properly configured. Your dealer will have it configured with an empty TT and your unloaded tow vehicle. See the sticky on this forum to learn how to set-up your rig like a pro.

Before departing anywhere with your TT, ensure that all your lugs are properly torqued. This will require the purchase of a torque wrench. Get a good one that won't be out of spec in a couple of months. Also, before departing, (1) check tire inflation (which will be based on TT weight); (2) check hitch area for proper connections (ie, WDH system, safety chains, break-away cable, etc.); (3) the lights; (4) do a walk-around to make sure your electrical cord(s)/hose(s) are disconnected, steps are closed, all storage doors securely closed, and nothing will be left behind.

Know the true height of your TT. Determine the height with the AC unit(s) -- write the height on a small business card and keep near your odometer. When pulling into gas stations or going thru low bridges/overpasses, you immediately will know whether you can clear the zone or not. Don't guess or assume you'll be OK.

Before backing-up, survey the location. Consider the elevation of the spot (both side-to-side and lengthwise), and make sure you have the necessary blocks for leveling. If you have a slide-out, factor in the width of it when trees/bushes are in play.

When backing-up, until you become comfortable with the process, it's helpful to have two (2) people outside the tow vehicle to assist. Have one person up-front with you (who can see the overall "picture") and another person at the back. The two outsiders can be on radio with each other to communicate easily.

Before disengaging the TT from tow vehicle, use wheel chocks.

Before driving, get a "feel" for the length of your rig by having a car parked 5', 10', 15', and 20' behind your TT while you sit in the drivers seat. Lock those images in your memory. This will help you when passing other vehicles on the highway. Get some soccer cones and use when practicing in a parking lot.

While driving, don't plan on going faster than 65mph. Your TT tires are (most likely) rated for 65mph max. Going faster increases the probability that you'll get a flat. With cross-winds, slow down. If mother nature pulls out all the stops (wind, rain, etc), take a pit-stop and wait for the storm to pass (if possible). You'll encounter all sorts of tailgaters, so plan on installing machine guns on your rear bumper (before they are banned!) to keep tailgaters at bay. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm joking (!). Actually, just ignore these idiots and allow them to pass if possible.

Get into a routine when hooking-up and unhooking so that you don't forget a step or two when interrupted by a family member or a CG visitor.

Finally, remember, safety is your number one concern when towing. Good luck and many happy trails with your TT.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #25

Be sure to hve extended mirrors on your TV Larry
Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #26

If your TV has a Tow/Haul switch make sure to use it. It will make the TV shift at the pattern required to haul your load better and it also in some cases helps with slowing the vehicles.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #27

One thing that I noticed that has not been mentioned yet was the removal of the anti-sway bar. If you have a weight distribution hitch and use it correctly it's a good idea to remove the anti-sway bar. It's the thin adjustable bar that connects the TV and TT on two smaller hitch balls held in place by cotter pins should be removed when attempting to back up. The bar itself is made for when towing and assist in reducing sway. There is a chance that it could fail if left in place when in reverse.

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab Hemi 4x4 Big Horn
Magnaflow muffler with factory dual exhaust, K&N drop in filter
3:55 ratio, Goodyear Duratrec 285/60/R20
2011 Jayflight 22FB...sold!
QuinnFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #28

That depends on the WD system used. Types like Equal-i-zer don't have the additional friction antisway piece so there is no problem when backing up. We used to have the type with the separate antisway and did at times forget to take it off before backing up. It is much nicer with the Equal-i-zer.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #29

Bolt your TT door shut.

I have had mine open even when it is "locked". It seems the difference in air pressure will force open your door.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #30

Send a message via Yahoo to dominickdunford
When you're going to tow a trailer. You must check to ensure that you have a good wiring connection from the tow vehicle to the camper. Check that all of the lights are in working order including brake lights and turn signals. Also be sure that the electrical brake system is working as it should.
dominickdunford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #31

Try to make it your site before dark, I am going to rig up halogen driving lights for backing up. My last camping trip last Oct, it got dark quick and I had to had both my wife and daughter hold my 2 LED D cell mag lights to illuminate the sides of he trailer so that I could safely back into my site. I ended up assisting another camper with a 5th wheel back into heir site too.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerncanuck View Post
Try to make it your site before dark, I am going to rig up halogen driving lights for backing up. My last camping trip last Oct, it got dark quick and I had to had both my wife and daughter hold my 2 LED D cell mag lights to illuminate the sides of he trailer so that I could safely back into my site. I ended up assisting another camper with a 5th wheel back into heir site too.
This is soooo important!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #33

Once you've parked.... Chock your tires first! Don't even think of unhooking without having both sides chocked.

That tip comes from experience!
Uprighter is offline   Reply With Quote