Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #1

Any tips on de-winterizing a 145RB?

Hi there,

I'm more of a computer/tech support kind of guy, so RV'ing has been a real step out of my comfort zone as far as understanding the systems, etc. I'm getting ready to head out on the road again in a few weeks but am a bit apprehensive about de-winterizing my trailer (since I am new to this and just bought the trailer last year, I had a RV dealer winterize for me last October). I can always pay a dealer to de-winterize, I assume, but I'd rather learn to do it myself.

I'd love a few quick tips on how to de-winterize this particular trailer line if anyone is willing!

It seems like most of it is flushing the anti-freeze out of the lines in the right way. I can't find a video or instructions for my exact trailer though.

I get that there's a bypass valve that routes water away from the water heater. I think that's under the sink, if I am remembering correctly. Seems there might be a socket wrench required to put something back in (plug?) the water heater. Maybe the drains need to be closed (low point drain, water drain). Not sure if I need to use gravity fed water or city water for the flushing out of the antifreeze through the sink, toilet and shower.

Thanks for any help!

Chris
cmorris975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #2

I would watch a couple of you tubes on "how to de-winterize an RV".

what I do,
My water heater plug stays in as I added an electric heater element to mine.
I connect city water while leaving the winter settings that bypass my water heater. I then run a few gallons through each faucet, hot and cold, shower and flush toilet, all until well after pink is gone.

I then open lines and fill water heater. I then open low point drain to drain water heater. While it is draining I fill the water tank about 1/2 full, add a cup of Clorox via the hose and finish filling the tank. Let it set for a few hours, overnight or whenever I get around to it. Run the pump to pull chlorox water through and then drain it all.

that's all
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #3

Not much to add, it's simple really and there isn't much you can do that would totally hose anything, just make sure you don't accidentally turn your hotwater heater On before it's full of water. You don't want to fry the heater elements. There is also generally another valve you need to find on your water pump that will change the intake source from the plastic hose 'winterizing' hose back to the main source. Make sure your water pump isn't sucking dry air for too long when you bring it back online.

I do mine similar to RogerR except for a few trivial details which I do differently. My water heater is bone dry when it goes into storage, all my faucets are left in the open positions and I leave my low point drains, pressure relief valve, as well as the drain plug on the heater open / off all winter. I flush everything fully in the spring and add the hot water heater back into the loop as one of the final steps. I don't do anything special with respect to flushing it. If I think the water smells funny in the spring I flush the whole system at that time. We don't generally drink the water out of the taps, but if it smells 'off' I do the bleach solution flush, sometimes I don't bother with that step.. to each his own.

Take some pictures of how your valves are setup while in 'winter mode' so you can refer to them next fall, or if you get hung up on something you just changed. Adding my hot water heater back into the 'loop' is typically the last thing I do.

I'm also an IT guy, but trust me, winterizing / de-winterizing is a piece of cake. Most of these systems are similar enough you can watch youtube videos of different campers and do what they do.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #4

Fantastic answers guys! I really appreciate your responses.

And thanks for the reminder on not heating up the hot water tank without anything in it.

I think I get it and should be good to go.

Thanks again,

Chris
cmorris975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #5

On our 2013 145RB the by pass valve was under the dinette seat on the sink side of the trailer.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #6

The bypass valve is to winterize, not de-winterize. If it was properly winterized, de-winterizing is really a non-issue and the valve should already be in the proper place.

Its not rocket science. the owner's manual tells you step-by-step what to do.

Be wary of freaking U-Tube. I laugh when I watch some of them because its obvious that the idiots making the video are clueless because they are providing bad info.

If you must take outsider's opinions, watch 10 of them and then do what's the average idea.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote