Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Anybody with 4 - 6Volt Deep Cyle GC batteries on tongue of Jay Flight SLX 212QBW??

Hello,

Any 212QBW owners have 4 deep cycle 6 volt GC batteries riding on the tongue of their trailer?? If so, is the tongue weight exceeding the 15% of the trailer weight guideline??

For my solar installation that would support minimal microwave use through out the day and/or evening it has been recommended that I double my battery storage bank from the current 260Ah to more in the neighborhood of 400 Ah battery storage capacity. I'm targeting 5-6 days off grid at a time with 360 watts roof mounted solar and 200 watts solar suitcase panels if needed. My current tongue weight when loaded for a trip is around 13%.

I recently purchased a 2018 212QBW with 2 Trojan T-145s in serial with 265Ah storage capacity and would need to add 2 more Trojan T-145s each weighing about 73 lbs. There are no rear pass through storage compartments to add the additional batteries to the rear of the trailer. Trying to avoid adding a gas powered generator to my power mix.
Andersen WDH
560 watts solar, roof mounted and portable suitcases
2000 watt PSW Inverter
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
Hello,

Any 212QBW owners have 4 deep cycle 6 volt GC batteries riding on the tongue of their trailer?? If so, is the tongue weight exceeding the 15% of the trailer weight guideline??

For my solar installation that would support minimal microwave use through out the day and/or evening it has been recommended that I double my battery storage bank from the current 260Ah to more in the neighborhood of 400 Ah battery storage capacity. I'm targeting 5-6 days off grid at a time with 360 watts roof mounted solar and 200 watts solar suitcase panels if needed. My current tongue weight when loaded for a trip is around 13%.

I recently purchased a 2018 212QBW with 2 Trojan T-145s in serial with 265Ah storage capacity and would need to add 2 more Trojan T-145s each weighing about 73 lbs. There are no rear pass through storage compartments to add the additional batteries to the rear of the trailer. Trying to avoid adding a gas powered generator to my power mix.
That much weight on the tongue is crazy, assuming you could get them to fit. Why are folks so dead set against using a small generator?? Very few go completely solar unless on a seasonal site off grid. To each their own but I can keep my 2 6vs charged when off grid and a gallon of that evil gas will last me 3 or 4 days assuming microwave use on occasion and the coffee maker in the am.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #3

I drive with a little 12v and put the 6v batteries out when we set up.
Kravchenko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
212qbw