Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 AM   #1

Anyone Blow The Antifreeze Out After Winterizing?

Been searching this forum and around the internet and not finding what I'm looking for.

I typically blow all of the water out of the system and then pump antifreeze in and pour some in all of the traps. I also open the low point drains and let the antifreeze gravity drain then close the drains and leave it like that all Winter.

I'm wondering if anyone takes the extra step and blows the antifreeze out after winterizing instead of letting it sit in the lines all Winter.

I know my method works, but I can't see any harm in blowing it out as a last step either.

This is not meant to be a blow out vs. antifreeze debate because I do both and am not going to change that method, but I am considering adding a final step of blowing the antifreeze out this year unless somebody has a compelling argument to why this would be a bad idea.

Thanks.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #2

The reason you can't find anything its a bit of overkill that I doubt many do. But if it makes you feel better doing it that way go ahead, cant hurt anything.

Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
The reason you can't find anything its a bit of overkill that I doubt many do. But if it makes you feel better doing it that way go ahead, cant hurt anything.
I like to overkill things, it's an extra five minutes since the compressor is already there.

I'll pick that extra 5 minutes back up in the Spring when I'm dewinterizing

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #4

I don't do it personally, but there isn't anything wrong with it. Folks that do do it, say they do it because they don't want the anti-freeze staying in the lines all winter long. They claim it's difficult to get the anti-freeze taste out.

I've never noticed a lingering anti-freeze taste. I don't blow out the anti-freeze in the spring, I just run water through the lines until the anti-freeze is gone.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I like to overkill things
I would do it then. Once the water is out I don't think there is any negative with playing with the antifreeze a bit.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I don't do it personally, but there isn't anything wrong with it. Folks that do do it, say they do it because they don't want the anti-freeze staying in the lines all winter long. They claim it's difficult to get the anti-freeze taste out.

I've never noticed a lingering anti-freeze taste. I don't blow out the anti-freeze in the spring, I just run water through the lines until the anti-freeze is gone.

-Michael

Same here.. We never have had issues with taste.. However our water system is small.

I wouldn't blow out the lines personally.. Because we live in a community with a lot of seasonal homes where the plumbing is drained and antifreeze is left in so the traps don't crack we are used to leaving the antifreeze in. We do that when we leave the house in the winter..Drain and fill with antifreeze so the low spots have it.

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #7

I don't think it would hurt anything. I also don't see any advantage to it either.

As far as lingering taste, I always bleach the system in the spring and follow with baking soda. I go through this twice and never have taste or smell issues.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

I see last reply already pretty much says this but since you're supposed to do the sanitize routine in the spring anyway, there's not much or any advantage, time wise, in blowing out the antifreeze in the fall since you'll be flushing it out of all lines thoroughly in the spring, and, unlike the "olden days" where, with a lot of models, you had antifreeze in your fresh water tank to have to flush and drain, that's no longer an issue with the modern water pump winterization and bypass systems we all have, as I understand it. I didn't notice any antifreeze taste issues even in the old travel trailer I had where I had to put it right into the freshwater tank each year.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #9

We don't drink the water from our freshwater tanks, so any lingering anti-freeze isn't an issue. We run each faucet until it runs clear for just a few seconds, and call it good.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post

I'm wondering if anyone takes the extra step and blows the antifreeze out after winterizing instead of letting it sit in the lines all Winter.

Thanks.
If I read that correctly you want to blow it out as soon as you put it in ?
Whats the point of even putting it in then ? I'm confused

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote