Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 AM   #1

Anyone Blow The Antifreeze Out After Winterizing?

Been searching this forum and around the internet and not finding what I'm looking for.

I typically blow all of the water out of the system and then pump antifreeze in and pour some in all of the traps. I also open the low point drains and let the antifreeze gravity drain then close the drains and leave it like that all Winter.

I'm wondering if anyone takes the extra step and blows the antifreeze out after winterizing instead of letting it sit in the lines all Winter.

I know my method works, but I can't see any harm in blowing it out as a last step either.

This is not meant to be a blow out vs. antifreeze debate because I do both and am not going to change that method, but I am considering adding a final step of blowing the antifreeze out this year unless somebody has a compelling argument to why this would be a bad idea.

Thanks.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #2

The reason you can't find anything its a bit of overkill that I doubt many do. But if it makes you feel better doing it that way go ahead, cant hurt anything.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
The reason you can't find anything its a bit of overkill that I doubt many do. But if it makes you feel better doing it that way go ahead, cant hurt anything.
I like to overkill things, it's an extra five minutes since the compressor is already there.

I'll pick that extra 5 minutes back up in the Spring when I'm dewinterizing

Old 10-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #4

I don't do it personally, but there isn't anything wrong with it. Folks that do do it, say they do it because they don't want the anti-freeze staying in the lines all winter long. They claim it's difficult to get the anti-freeze taste out.

I've never noticed a lingering anti-freeze taste. I don't blow out the anti-freeze in the spring, I just run water through the lines until the anti-freeze is gone.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I like to overkill things
I would do it then. Once the water is out I don't think there is any negative with playing with the antifreeze a bit.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I don't do it personally, but there isn't anything wrong with it. Folks that do do it, say they do it because they don't want the anti-freeze staying in the lines all winter long. They claim it's difficult to get the anti-freeze taste out.

I've never noticed a lingering anti-freeze taste. I don't blow out the anti-freeze in the spring, I just run water through the lines until the anti-freeze is gone.

-Michael

Same here.. We never have had issues with taste.. However our water system is small.

I wouldn't blow out the lines personally.. Because we live in a community with a lot of seasonal homes where the plumbing is drained and antifreeze is left in so the traps don't crack we are used to leaving the antifreeze in. We do that when we leave the house in the winter..Drain and fill with antifreeze so the low spots have it.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #7

I don't think it would hurt anything. I also don't see any advantage to it either.

As far as lingering taste, I always bleach the system in the spring and follow with baking soda. I go through this twice and never have taste or smell issues.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

I see last reply already pretty much says this but since you're supposed to do the sanitize routine in the spring anyway, there's not much or any advantage, time wise, in blowing out the antifreeze in the fall since you'll be flushing it out of all lines thoroughly in the spring, and, unlike the "olden days" where, with a lot of models, you had antifreeze in your fresh water tank to have to flush and drain, that's no longer an issue with the modern water pump winterization and bypass systems we all have, as I understand it. I didn't notice any antifreeze taste issues even in the old travel trailer I had where I had to put it right into the freshwater tank each year.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #9

We don't drink the water from our freshwater tanks, so any lingering anti-freeze isn't an issue. We run each faucet until it runs clear for just a few seconds, and call it good.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post

I'm wondering if anyone takes the extra step and blows the antifreeze out after winterizing instead of letting it sit in the lines all Winter.

Thanks.
If I read that correctly you want to blow it out as soon as you put it in ?
Whats the point of even putting it in then ? I'm confused
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
If I read that correctly you want to blow it out as soon as you put it in ?
Whats the point of even putting it in then ? I'm confused
To mix with any water that may have not been evacuated on the first air blow through.

I'm not worried about taste since we disinfect and flush every Spring.

But we do dry camp through the Winter. I know that the anti-freeze can ice up at very low temperatures, but I've read that it doesn't expand when this happens.

The info below is slightly confusing -

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co....do?docId=1144

The burst point of an antifreeze is the temperature at which a sealed copper pipe filled with the undiluted product will burst. Burst points are a standard created by the plumbing industry in the 1930s to indicate the relative strength of antifreeze. They have since become synonymous with the name of antifreeze products used for winter storage. Burst points help consumers choose the proper product based on the lowest expected temperatures for their specific area.

A freeze point is the temperature at which ice crystals begin to form in the undiluted product. Freeze points are the measurements given when using refractometers and hydrometers. Note: most refractometers provide readings on both a PG and an EG scale, so it is important to use the PG reading when testing this product. Hydrometers are either made to provide PG or EG readings. It is critical to test this product with a hydrometer specifically designed to provide PG readings. Most hydrometers are purchased at auto supply stores and are designed for use with EG, so they cannot be used to test PG antifreeze. Keep in mind that it is normal to see readings that may vary by several degrees from the product's stated freeze point based on ambient temperature or the age of the product. For example, the freeze point of the -50°F product is +12°F, but it is not unusual to see readings in a range of +12°F to +16°F. Shake PG antifreeze well before testing as the heavier PG component may have settled toward the bottom.

Because the stored engine or water system is not in use, preventing ice crystals is not necessary, and to do so would require the use of a more expensive product with a higher PG content. As an example, the -50°F antifreeze has a freeze point of +12°F while the -100°F antifreeze has a freeze point of -60°F.

However, as the temperature drops the solution begins to solidify and expand, it puts pressure on pipes that can lead to damage. This is why it is important to select an antifreeze that will provide burst protection appropriate for a specific region's lowest anticipated temperatures. Products providing lower burst point temperatures contain higher concentrations of PG and are thus more expensive, but they will provide the protection needed in the event of extreme weather.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #12

I do it. Blow out the lines, pump full of antifreeze, then blow out again. During the winter here on the Canadian prairies, temps of -30* for weeks on end are not unusual -- that's the kind of hard freeze that snowmobilers and ice fishermen dream about. After a few weeks of that, then the ice is safe for them to go on.

So, being faced with that kind of cold, the extra few minutes it takes me to make 100% sure that my water system is properly winterized, is well worth it, and it's a lot easier and cheaper to do the belt-and-suspenders approach in the fall than to repair a burst water line in the spring. Doing it this way ensures that the lines are empty, and if anything remains, it's just the antifreeze.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #13

Those far more knowledgeable than me have not mentioned this, so I'm probably wrong. But it seems to me that you can blow all the water out of the line and still end up with water if you get some condensation from freeze-thaw freeze-thaw. By leaving the antifreeze in, that would not be a problem.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I did that this year, because we DO drink from the fresh water tank and DO find the taste annoying. In previous years I've done the air or anti-freeze methods, never both. First year trying it. Will see how happy I am with it in the springtime.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #15

X2
Fyouberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #16

I blow out the water with air, pump in AF just until it starts to flow at all fixtures then follow with a blow out to fill the ptraps and a little in the tanks.

My philosophy is that it is better for the lines in the retaining of flavor that can occur during storage. Is it overkill, possibly, but it's an additional 5 mins.

I use about 3 gallons all in and could get away with less if I wanted to since I am blowing air behind it to force to the fixtures.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #17

That is how I do it. Where had been storing our TT, it commonly gets close to -40oF in the winter, which is way to close to the -50oF protection of pure antifreeze.

the antifreeze from blowing out goes down the drains, and helps ensure the traps are well protected.

After I am done with the the second blow out step, I also place a teaspoon of Mineral oil down each trap, and on top of the antifreeze in the toilet. This keeps the antifreeze from evaporating out over the winter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #18

As for dewinterizing, in the spring I fill the fresh water tank and add the recommended amount of bleach. I turn the pump on and run all of the fixtures until all of the remaining antifreeze is flushed out, and I can smell the bleach. Turn all of the fixtures off and let it sit for a few hours while I get the rest of the trailer ready, then turn them back on and let them run until the tank is empty. Fill the tank again with normal fresh water and run that through the system until thats empty. No bleach or antifreeze smell or taste.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #19

Jayco dealer told me to leave the antifreeze in the lines until spring.
Jktb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #20

Blowing out the antifreeze after winter

I'd have to say I would go along with the consensus, it is your RV so do what you think is best.
For winterizing after draining all water, cleaning out and changing the bypass valves on the hot water tank, I run the water pump to ensure no water there and drain the low points. I blow out all the lines through all the openings, sinks, shower, outside shower, and outside kitchen, each one at a time, then I only add antifreeze to the P-traps in all the sinks, outside kitchen too, some in the shower drain and toilet bowl.
Leave all the taps open and that's it, done till next spring.
Then it is just connect to the city water connection and flush out the lines with water to get all the pink gone.
I will add a small amount of water to the fresh tank and make sure all is good with the water pump but I never put much in the tank until just before leaving on a trip.
So far, knock wood or anything else, never had any problems!
Tdbrwn is offline   Reply With Quote