Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamdrdream
Anyone file an insurance claim for a bent frame?

Our frame is bent. Jayco won't cover it. Anyone had luck with an insurance claim?
Iamdrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #2

Check under recalls

I just read a post here that some models were being recalled for weak frames. Might be worth a look. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post917639
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #3

Any pictures?
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #4

We had ours fixed free by Lippert, the manufacturer, under warranty. Try calling them. Great to work with.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #5

I see you have a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS (TT). Out of curiosity where is the bent frame members?

It is fairly common to hear of outriggers on 5vers that are bent, and repaired.

Pending on what is bent, some autobody shops have a frame straighter jig. Not sure if any have one long enough for a TT, and how applicable it is for a TT.

Pending on the damage, I would have a welding fabrication shop do the work before an autobody shop. Autobody shops do not do a lot of welding anymore, more, remove and replace a damaged component.

Good luck let us know how you proceed and what the repair is (hopefully it can be repaired).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #6

We settled with insurance company. Replacement cost. We got back almost $35,000! Love it when things work out in our favor!
Old 03-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #7

IAM glad things worked out for you. Now when your insurance premiums go up you will pay more than what they gave you.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
IAM glad things worked out for you. Now when your insurance premiums go up you will pay more than what they gave you.

More than$35,000?!?! Lol
Let's see....
Old 03-12-2021, 08:36 PM   #9

Let me see the insurance company will make back the money that they gave you over a period of time if you stay with them. They are not in the business of losing money.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Let me see the insurance company will make back the money that they gave you over a period of time if you stay with them. They are not in the business of losing money.

LOL They are not going to recoup $35,000 from this customer in premiums over and beyond what he would already be paying.
bamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #11

Ok let me say it another way. The insurance company will not lose money. They will raise his rates and other peoples rates so that they can make back that money. This was told to me by a friend that has 30 plus years in the insurance business.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #12

So under no circumstances should you ever use the insurance that you pay for. Got it.

Next time a hailstorm comes through and my homes roof is shot, I’ll make sure I don’t call my insurance agent in fear my neighbors premiums might go up.
jsc1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1979 View Post
So under no circumstances should you ever use the insurance that you pay for. Got it.

Next time a hailstorm comes through and my homes roof is shot, I’ll make sure I don’t call my insurance agent in fear my neighbors premiums might go up.
I look at it like this- I'm not going to use my get out of jail card for a traffic ticket- I'll save it until I'm facing 20 to life.

We had a claim last summer for a broken awning. $1200. $250 deductible. We considered filing a claim, but now that we are RV'ing, homeowners and 3 cars, there is a lot more chance of something going wrong. (vs. sitting on the porch until we die). So we decided not to put a ding on our record, pay for the repair, and move on.

Good thing we did, because we just had another incident, this time with our car. (it was sitting at the house while we were rv'ing) It was totaled, we put in a claim and got $26,000. So now we just have the one ding, and are less worried about jacked up rates and/or having to be moved to one of those lousy high risk policies.

So there is no clear answer that covers every situation. We've decided for us that about $1000 out of pocket is our deciding point. Below that we don't file, above we will.
So the poster getting $35000 actual replacement cost is a slam dunk, and a real consumer victory.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Ok let me say it another way. The insurance company will not lose money. They will raise his rates and other peoples rates so that they can make back that money. This was told to me by a friend that has 30 plus years in the insurance business.

You're right - they won't. Or if they don't they won't stay in business.

But the whole idea is to spread that $35,000 they paid out over their entire subscriber base of thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands.

Your premium, our premiums, might go up by a buck or three.

If they go up too much, we drop that company and pick another.

If you pay for insurance and have zero intention of ever using it out of fears of rising premiums, well... Probably should have skipped the policy all together.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #15

Quote:
They will not lose money.

However, insurance companies don’t truly make money from premiums exceeding claims, known as an underwriting profit. In a perfect world they will have an underwriting profit. The real money for insurance companies come from investing the float, which is the sum total of premiums across the entire company that “float” until a claim is paid.

Secondly, if the risk of a particular insured doesn’t change, or the risk of pool of insured doesn’t change, rates will remain relatively flat.

I have no idea what caused this frame to bend, but if it wasn’t due to the insureds fault and it’s not a trend of the insured to make claims, there will be relatively small impact to rates.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #16
Ira

What company do you have? How did you get $$ from them.
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #17
Ira

No luck with mine. Shop is saying wdh system caused too much stress on the ultra light weight frame and should have never been put on in the first place. Meanwhile the dealership that put it on claims no wrong doing. I'm stuck in the middle with no trailer, and oh yea, the trailer is still 550 miles from my house where it occurred in the middle of a 3 week trip. Sigh!
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #18

I have heard that a WD Hitch with a rating that is much over what is needed can cause that. I used a 5,000 lb. WD Hitch on my 4,000 lb. trailer. Could have bought an 8,000 lb. much cheaper.