Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2023, 05:49 PM   #1

Anyone mounting anything to the rear?

So there’s the spare tire carrier, into the thin bumper I guess you’d call it, then also secured up top. Was thinking of a bracket of that, but don’t want to stress it. But there’s really no other bumper, and just the thin plate on the rear. Can’t really reach the frame. I have a hitch mounted carrier that I was considering mounting for the genny we are considering, but If I cannot mount a carrier for it I’m gonna need to consider the more expensive smaller inverter type. Any of y’all have experience with this?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0580.jpg   IMG_0582.jpg   IMG_0583.jpg  
Jwhitebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:15 PM   #2

Take it to a welder and have them mount a hitch on the back welded to the frame. That sheet steel bumper is near maxed out with the spare anyway.

Lots of posts in the past on this problem of mounting to the bumper and other possible solutions like reinforcing the bumper or replacing it with a better one.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #3

I have the same type of carrier, that I use for my BBQ (travel-sized Weber Q) - but I have the 4" square "sewer hose" bumper; and putting a hitch on it was no big deal.

If you can't mount solidly to the frame; I wouldn't think about putting a generator on the rear - even a small genny can be 50-60 pounds, and bouncing around, that's a lot of shock load going down the highway.

If you can post the specific model of your trailer, and some wider angle pics, some other posters may have suggestions for you.
OntFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Take it to a welder and have them mount a hitch on the back welded to the frame. That sheet steel bumper is near maxed out with the spare anyway.

Lots of posts in the past on this problem of mounting to the bumper and other possible solutions like reinforcing the bumper or replacing it with a better one.
I’ll look for some posts. I’m extremely mechanical and can weld, just not sure how much I want to put into a carrier. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2023, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntFF View Post
I have the same type of carrier, that I use for my BBQ (travel-sized Weber Q) - but I have the 4" square "sewer hose" bumper; and putting a hitch on it was no big deal.

If you can't mount solidly to the frame; I wouldn't think about putting a generator on the rear - even a small genny can be 50-60 pounds, and bouncing around, that's a lot of shock load going down the highway.

If you can post the specific model of your trailer, and some wider angle pics, some other posters may have suggestions for you.
Definitely something i had considered, was that ripping off going down the road. It’s a 166fps. I’ll get some better shots
Old 06-06-2023, 10:34 AM   #6

I'm dealing with a travel trailer, but I had (as I've done with previous trailers) a "truck toolbox" rack professionally permanently welded, with gussets, in three places to the frame. I wouldn't even consider a bumper hitch type mount. As others have said, the weight back there will be bouncing around a lot.

I don't carry a genny back there, just hoses, cords, water fittings & misc. stuff, but I could with my setup stash both of my Honda 2000s in the box. I'd just have to consider weight distribution more so than I do now.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velz View Post
I'm dealing with a travel trailer, but I had (as I've done with previous trailers) a "truck toolbox" rack professionally permanently welded, with gussets, in three places to the frame. I wouldn't even consider a bumper hitch type mount. As others have said, the weight back there will be bouncing around a lot.

I don't carry a genny back there, just hoses, cords, water fittings & misc. stuff, but I could with my setup stash both of my Honda 2000s in the box. I'd just have to consider weight distribution more so than I do now.
Originally considered this for the open frame 3500w generator locally for cheap. But after seeing this Cummins 4500, and getting $200 off I couldn’t pass it up. Thanks for replies, not mounting anything now lol
Attached Thumbnails
70776166556__0F57A5CB-33D6-4396-BC62-AA9984F015B1.jpg  
Old 06-07-2023, 04:47 AM   #8

Check out the Stromberg Carlson generator carrier that goes on the tongue. Put one on my 166fbs and love it.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:52 AM   #9

I mounted an aluminum storage box on my back bumper but I welded a support structure under it.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2 View Post
Check out the Stromberg Carlson generator carrier that goes on the tongue. Put one on my 166fbs and love it.
I saw those! While generator is running, does it shake the camper and leave it too loud to sleep?
Old 06-07-2023, 09:49 AM   #11

I only carry a 2000 watt gen. so I take it out of container I bought to mount to platform (theres a post of it on site) and put a bunch of stuff in there as well. Have seen other who successfully run on platform. A couple neat insultated boxes guys have built on line and I believe S Carlson is selling one now. A lot would depend on generator too.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:12 PM   #12

https://www.amazon.ca/Mount-n-Lock-S...843032e68&th=1
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote