Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Anyone purchased from RV Direct?

I'm looking at a Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS. I've looked at one at our local dealership, and received their best price. I've also received a quote from RV Direct on the exact same unit that is $2720 lower that my local dealership. I would have to drive to Des Moines, IA to pick it up (693 miles), but this trip could be used as a waypoint on our way to Montana to see my family this July.

Here are my questions to ponder:

1. Is RV Direct a reputable dealer? What has been others buying experience?

2. Is it worth paying $2720 more to buy locally? What are the benefits of buying locally? (The salesman tells me I get service priority over non-locals)

3. Is it worth adding 400 miles to my July trip to detour through Iowa to pick it up? (1450 miles pulling the RV from home to Montana VS 693 miles in an empty pickup to Iowa, then 1166 miles to Montana pulling RV)

4. Will my 2013 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab (9600 lb towing, 1435 payload) be a sufficient TV for this TT (6100 lbs UVW, 7750 GVWR, 675 tongue)?

5. What kind of fuel mileage will I get in my TV when pulling this RV?

Thanks in advance for your experience and advice!

sully585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Anyone purchased from RV Direct?

I have not but I will price them before I buy another trailer. My sister in law who lives in va did buy a trailer from rvdirect in jan. They had a trip planned to fl and picked it up at a fl rvdirect dealer and used it for a week at Disney. Then they took it home to va. They saved a bit over the local dealer. And they had a great experience.

SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #3

1. Last fall I was on RV Direct's website and built a quote for a trailer that we really liked. I took the quote to a local Jayco dealer and he matched the price right to the penny. It was ordered from the factory and we had it in about 6 weeks. If you take this route that will eliminate your questions 2 & 3.

4. Your 2013 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab should be ok for the trailer as long as you get a good weight distributing hitch.

5. 8-10 mpg. That's what most people get regardless of truck/trailer gasser combo.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

I just purchased my second Jayco trailer from them. Will hopefully be picking it up this month. I bought my Pop Up in 2013 from them. Saved 7k over MSRP and 3k over best local dealer price. I had a great PDI from the people at the Des Moines location. It was set up, and plugged in when I arrived. By this time I had gone through the manual like 5 times waiting for the pick up date that I was probably more knowledgeable than the guy doing the PDI. He was very nice and went through everything. If I remember correctly, they schedule 2, 2 and half hours per PDI, so they want you to be comfortable with your purchase. They were good people there at Des Moines from what I remember and it was a nice drive from here in central Colorado. I like road trips so...

Edit to add: On my 2013 Pop-Up, it was roughly $19k MSRP, Local Jayco dealer first quoted me $18.5k. I said they would have to do better than that and by quite a bit. Next quote was $15.5K. I told them they would still have to do better. They said that was the best they could do. RV Direct was at $12.3k so it was very worth it for me to travel to Des Moines. No Price Match here in Colorado.
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #5

The RVdirect quote on my RV was around $600 more than what I paid locally. However, on another model I was considering they were over $2000 less.

Factor in your costs to drive to and tow home to determine where you stand in regard to the savings they offer over your local dealer. Weigh the options and it will come apparent when looking at the numbers if that is something you want to get into or not.

Your tow vehicle will be fine as mentioned already with a WDH installed.

I find it is best to not look at your gas mileage. The "blind eye" works best here.
2006 Forest River Salem Hybrid *sold*
thebuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully585 View Post
I'm looking at a Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS. I've looked at one at our local dealership, and received their best price. I've also received a quote from RV Direct on the exact same unit that is $2720 lower that my local dealership. I would have to drive to Des Moines, IA to pick it up (693 miles), but this trip could be used as a waypoint on our way to Montana to see my family this July.

Here are my questions to ponder:

1. Is RV Direct a reputable dealer? What has been others buying experience?

2. Is it worth paying $2720 more to buy locally? What are the benefits of buying locally? (The salesman tells me I get service priority over non-locals)

3. Is it worth adding 400 miles to my July trip to detour through Iowa to pick it up? (1450 miles pulling the RV from home to Montana VS 693 miles in an empty pickup to Iowa, then 1166 miles to Montana pulling RV)

4. Will my 2013 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab (9600 lb towing, 1435 payload) be a sufficient TV for this TT (6100 lbs UVW, 7750 GVWR, 675 tongue)?

5. What kind of fuel mileage will I get in my TV when pulling this RV?

Thanks in advance for your experience and advice!
Welcome to the forum. Here's my $0.02 on some of your questions:

#2) Your local dealer has to pay about $1/mi to have it delivered to him. That's my guess. I have no knowledge of what the actual amount is. Service after the sale is an issue. It seems you will get a lower priority if you want service at a dealer you didn't buy from - unless you are on a trip away from home.

#3) Not sure I follow the mileages. I'd estimate your fuel cost by the round trip miles from your home to the pick up location; 1/2 not towing and 1/2 half towing. You'd need to add in meals and overnight stays, if that applies. Also, it is usually a good idea to stay near the pickup dealer for a night or two to see if questions/issues come up that you didn't learn about in the PDI.

#4) You are going to be VERY close. You need to consider the weight of the people and gear in the truck. There are others in this site with much more experience in this area.

#5) Gasers up to around 7mpg; diesels around 10mpg

Local dealers are often willing to negotiate adding in extras (such as a weight distributing hitch, slide toppers, etc.) at no charge or significantly reduced.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

#3) Not sure I follow the mileages. I'd estimate your fuel cost by the round trip miles from your home to the pick up location; 1/2 not towing and 1/2 half towing. You'd need to add in meals and overnight stays, if that applies. Also, it is usually a good idea to stay near the pickup dealer for a night or two to see if questions/issues come up that you didn't learn about in the PDI.

Local dealers are often willing to negotiate adding in extras (such as a weight distributing hitch, slide toppers, etc.) at no charge or significantly reduced.
as far as mileage goes, we are planning on taking a trip to Montana in July. the mileage from my home in Texas to Montana is 1450. if we bought locally, we would be towing the TT the entire way. if we decide to buy from RV Direct, we will just take delivery as part of our July trip, and we will have to drive my truck (with no TT, obviously) to Des Moines, IA, which is 693 miles from here, to get the TT. after we take delivery, we will then drive 1166 miles from Des Moines IA to Montana. so i will have to drive an extra 400 miles out of my way to pick up the TT, but will save a little bit of $$ in fuel expenses since i won't be pulling the TT.

the last part of your post made me realize that my local dealers final price INCLUDES them installing a WD hitch and brake controller on my Chevy. i'm sure the RV Direct quote does not include any kind of hitch or brake controller. so my true savings is around $2000. thanks for pointing that out!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #8

Welcome. I have done both and last purchase was the local dealer. I fought hard, but wanted the express service and leverage of buying local. I paid a little more, but not enough to warrant my going 800 miles round trip. Just about a wash.

You will get bumped in line when it comes to service and the dealer is within his rights. He could refuse you too, not common but could happen. You might be the lucky one who nevers sees the dealer after the purchase, but odds are you will need a little something during your ownership.

Have you tried to bring in the RV Direct quote to the local dealer and show them the offer? You can probably get them down a little more on the pricing. Another potential problem could arrise with timing of your trip. What happens if something comes up on the PDI that is not to your liking. You're either waiting for it to be resolved or going home without your unit. Sure if minor enough you might deal with it, but it could happen.

Timing can be an issue to with scheduling pick up and if you have hard dates for your trip then you could miss the window and savings. Just something to consider.

Murphy's law!

Also RV Direct requires 100% financing before it leaves the plant. That's savings to them since they are not borrowing to bridge the gap between plant and dealer.

Try pressuring the local guy and go from there.

On the TV side I think your pushing it a little with that from a comfort side. Make sure you get a good WDH setup and spend on that, especially for the long hauls. There is a lot of knowledge on this site that will guide you in the right direction. Also the brake controller should be a P2 or P3 to get the best braking action IMHO.

Some shops just give you the bare minimum pulse units in the package so do some homework there. Easy enough to do yourself and save $ as it's plug and play with a vehicle specific harness.

Good luck.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

If it was me, and what I did for my first TT purchase, was use RV direct quite to narrow the gap between them and the local dealer. Still did not get a match but they did improve so I bought local. If I recall RV direct would have been about a $1k better after including my cost to pick it up, and for that I wanted a local relationship and I didn't want to mess with registration and tax concerns back in CA with the DMV.

The second unit I bought private party used so it wasn't a consideration.

By the way, the break controller is a very easy DIY project. Lots of how to videos and you definitely be able to get the controller lower on your own vs the dealer MSRP.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #10

Hey Sully,
We bought our 1st TT (X23B) from RVD and had no issues. We picked up at their Orlando location, spent the first night local and then hit the road towards home. We enjoyed the trip and made a mini-vacation out of it. I did not have the "warm fuzzies" from the local dealer so started looking elsewhere and wound up at the RVD site (thanks JOF). Our pick-up experience was drama free and the TT proved itself super reliable with only 1 "warranty level" event (radio failed). I contacted Jayco directly, they sent me the radio, I installed and shipped the old one back (they paid shipping both ways).
Did I get a good price? I think I did. Our 2nd trailer (5th) was purchased at a dealer about 250 mi away. It's in their service as I type waiting on a front cap repaint. So far I've no complaints.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote