Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #21

I've had 5's for 20 years, but went with a TT in 2013. With a good WD hitch it will tow just fine. Not as nice as a 5th, but well enough. The longer wheel base takes some getting used to as the TT needs more space to maneuver and park. Picking a RV is more about the floor plan for us. I'm happy with what I've got.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #22

The only thing I can say is I love my travel trailer. But there is hardly any storage in it. Yes with a fifth wheel you loose the truck bed. However you gain all that extra storage of a fifth wheel where most of the stuff can be stored and left in place. We to are looking at some 5vers. Think my truck will be ok with a new North Point behind it. But there is allot to consider.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #23

I'd love to have a fifth wheel but honestly, can't afford it. First off, you need the truck to tow it. I could tow one with my truck but I won't. If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. So, I'd need a different truck..possibly a diesel. That's gonna run me some moolah. Then the 5'er itself. So...just for argument sake...

A different truck = To do it right..30k-40k (used)
A 5'er = what? 30K-50K??

Nah...don't regret my decision. My next move is a used Class A.
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #24

I have the truck to tow the fifth wheel and do not regret buying a travel trailer. I'm not going to give up the bed of my truck to a hitch that only gets used a few times a year. I use my truck daily and enjoy having the camper top on it to keep my cargo dry.

If I was full timing it might be different because they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #25

I do have one regret about 5ers that I didn't mention. TWP's post reminded me.
Last year a local gent was advertising his one year old 5W and matching 1yo HD Pickup, obviously bought to match. Both were expensive units. His asking price was probably 1/2 what he paid a year earlier and the pictures looked like very little use (or meticulous maintenance). It was almost like "buy my truck and get the 5er for free" (or vice versa)! I'm guessing either they didn't like the lifestyle they had planned, or one of the couple hit a medical issue; either way, sad to see.
If I had been at a stage where we were ready to buy, I would have jumped all over that. Still hoping a deal like that will come along again when we are ready to full-time, but I don't think deals like that come along often.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 AM   #26

I have no regrets for having bought a TT. Our dually certainly could have handled a fiver but we looked at so many floor plans and when we found the perfect one for us, it was a TT. Like others brought up, I still have my truck bed to make up for lack of storage in the TT. We've lived in it a total of nearly two years now counting winters and regular camping. It looks like we may spend more time soon having sold our home before buying another.

But if I planned on keeping one for ten years, I'd be looking at the top line Jayco offers. Our Eagle has been nearly flawless for over five years now. Whatever you end up with, I hope you enjoy it as much as we have ours.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:36 AM   #27

We started with a TT before moving to the 5er and am glad we did. When we bought the TT we had no idea what we were doing, let alone if we'd like camping, so cost was certainly a factor.

We found that we needed a little more space but couldn't find a floor plan we liked in a TT, so ended up going 5er. I do miss the bed of the truck, but the ease of hitching and the better quality ride more than make up for that.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #28
Site Team

Wnen we started wanting more comfort camping we bought a used tt to see if we liked it. After a few years, we bought a used class a Winnebago to see if that was the way to go for us. It wasn't.

We then bought a used fifth wheel, liked it and then bought a new one and used it for 6 years, then in 2011 we purchased the Jayco.

Some may say that's the expensive way but it worked for us.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #29

I think it really comes down to personal preference. If you ask 50 people you will get 50 different answers. Go to an RV show, or visit several different dealers and walk through every kind and see what fits best for your family's comfort and your budget. Each has it's own pros and cons, and it truly comes down to what you want.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboy Dawg View Post
I have the truck to tow the fifth wheel and do not regret buying a travel trailer. I'm not going to give up the bed of my truck to a hitch that only gets used a few times a year. I use my truck daily and enjoy having the camper top on it to keep my cargo dry.

If I was full timing it might be different because they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Same here. Have the tow V now but very happy with the TT we purchased the year before when we just had a 1/2 ton. I don't dispute the advantages in towing a 5er, storage, etc, but I don't give up the bed of my truck when towing or not towing. Not full timers and the White hawk and its floorplan is perfect for us. If you want a 5er then get one.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote