Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

Anyone regret not getting a 5er instead of TT?

We're about to buy our first RV and I set out really really wanting a 5th wheel. But availability and pricing have got us looking at TT's and we really like the Jay Flight 32BHDS. We want to keep this unit 10+ years. We will do weekend camping trips locally every 6 weeks or so and 2-3 week long trips annually (2000+ miles).

I still really love the 5er we had picked out (an Eagle HT) but its not available anywhere so we'd have to order it. Another really big item is the 5th wheel is $14k more that the TT.

The quality of the 5er seems marginally better and has more amenities, but the floorplan and basic items are very similar. I'm well aware of the towing differences but not sure if that in and of itself would warrant the $14k premium plus having to wait at least 3 months to get it.

I think the TT will serve us well but don't want to get it and then feel like I want to upgrade in 3-5 years.

So basically what I want to know from all of you who have TTs is if you regret not getting a 5er instead of your current TT or if you're planning on upgrading in the future (and why)? Thanks!!
towm8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

most people graduate to a 5 er form TT we did and never looked back . had a jay flight 26bhs G2 it was great but lov our 28.5 RSTS HT Eagle
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #3

Because there are only 2 of us, the 19RD is a little more than enough.

So you have 1 "No Regerts" on choosing a TT over a 5'er.

How many people will be sleeping, eating, etc. in your planned RV? Do you need to haul that much volume and weight?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #4

I would have to say that I do not regret buying a TT instead of a 5er. BUT, I have never towed a fifth-wheel, so I may be a bit biased or ignorant on the subject.

I will say that I like having the truck bed available to haul things like bikes and such. I also like being able to strap my canoe up top and not worry about hitting the front cap. I'm relatively certain that my WDH and associated tackle is cheaper than a fifth-wheel setup. And I have full use of my truck at all times; I don't have to worry about removing and storing a heavy and cumbersome fifth wheel hitch.

As far as money goes for us, IMO the extra $14K would likely be a show-stopper. It's not that we're cheap, but from a purely functional standpoint, if I can get the same use with the TT, I'll keep the money every time. It might be easier to tow, but is it $14K easier? I doubt it for us. We use our trailer about once a month average, and we'll be taking our first multi-road-day trip this fall (maybe). If we were full-timers or we took longer trips, I might have a different opinion. But for our usage, the TT works great for us.

Since we bought our TT, I've only seen one fifth-wheel that I would have considered trading for, and "dealer stock" is all that's left of that particular floor-plan (no more production). Long-term, we will likely go to a motor home anyway, even though there are plenty of 5ers out there my truck could tow, DW wants a MH.

This is not to say that some day we won't go to a 5er (anything is possible), but for our current station in life, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
How many people will be sleeping, eating, etc. in your planned RV? Do you need to haul that much volume and weight?
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Family of five (kids 9,5, & 2) + one golden retriever.
towm8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by towm8ter View Post
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Family of five (kids 9,5, & 2) + one golden retriever.
You can still get away with 30' of TT.

Any less any you'll be cramped when the weather turns foul.

Although a family of 4 did very well for 15+ years in the 18-footer I bought off them.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #7

My buddy, who we camp with almost every trip, bought a 5ver last spring. While he does like it, I believe he will be back in a tt when it is time to get a new rig. Main reason being the lack of bed space as mentioned. He also gets some "chucking" when towing. He hadn't figured out if that is solvable or not, as this is his first rig. Yes, it is a little more stable, but he hasn't noticed enough of a difference towing to be sold on the 5vwr towing vs a tt.

Myself, because of the bed space I don't think we will ever have a 5ver if I had to decide today. Though who knows down the road!!! If you would like the a ability to tow a boat (or similar) at the same time, a 5ver makes sense.

Good luck deciding!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #8

With the 5 of you and a Golden, I would be looking at the 5er. You already have a great tow vehicle for that size of rig and having to trade in a TT, if you find out there is not enough space for your family, will cost more in the long run.
aroundeverycorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #9

we do, but when we got our TT there was no or very limited bunk houses in the 5'ers. So we got the TT, and now, with more and more bunkhouses out in the 5'ers, we're looking, however, the kids are now getting older and won't go camping with us as much. So we're looking at 5'ers now. Right now, we're between the Pinnacle and the Montana Front living room floor plans
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #10

I am one of those folks that went from TT to FW and just the towing experience alone make me not want to look back. Even though my FW is approx. 3 times the weight and 2 times the length it pulls so much smoother. I also like hooking up the FW to the TV more than I did the TT. Quicker and easier in my opinion.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

I purchased the 32TSBH TT 3 yrs ago and noever looked back. It may be easier to manuever a 5th wheel, but I could not find a 5th wheel with buckroom space I wanted. I have 4 bunks that my 6' sons can fit in. Be careful with bunks, some of them are 5'8" - 5'10" long and kids do grow fast.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
BCK

Another TT owner that does not regret the decision. 5 of us too with kids 9, 8, 6 and a golden retriever. 5ers are definitely nice and pull better than a tt. Also a lot shorter rolling down the highway and in parking lots etc. with the pin in the box instead of a tongue and hitch. Our reason for the TT was the box space. 3 kids and a dog add a lot of stuff then throw in some fire wood etc. and I wouldn't want to be without the box space.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #13

With 5 of you and your golden, I think a TT is better over a 5er. Think of all the extra gear you'll be able to haul with the truck bed still available. With a 350, I doubt that cargo carry capacity will be too big of an issue.

We have graduated from tents, to a pup, to our current HTT where we expect to stay for a while. The eventual plan is to start full timing, and THAT's when we'll buy our first 5er. Hopefully gently used from another golden ager getting off the road. I certainly don't regret any of our choices, they have all been appropriate to our needs and stage at the time.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #14

I don't regret getting a camper over a 5th wheel. We looked but we take our golf cart to every campground that allows us to (we usually only book ones that do). So having the bed free to haul the golf cart is necessary. I did look at toy hauler 5th wheels but decided I didn't want something that big...

Who knows, maybe next one will be one...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #15

We are thinking about going the other way. We don't get out as much as we had thought we would (now approximately 2 weeks a year) so we are considering downsizing. We like our fifth wheel but given its size it does limit us to where we can go. Our National Park campgrounds were never designed for 40 foot fifth wheels and there are many places we would like to go see but can't get in due to our size. A 30 foot travel trailer with a couple of slides would work for us just fine as it is just the two of us.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #16

Have a Eagle 2016 324 BHTS tt with sway control. Love it. Looked at 5ers,but we have everything we need in a tt. 3 of us and 2 Ole labs. Got the party sofa and 2 ac's
newhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #17

We started with a 34' 5er and now have a 32 IBTS and between the two I prefer the TT since I like having the truck bed space and lower height of the TT. The 5er pulled a touch better in the wind but with a good sway bar setup the TT isn't an issue.

Unless I was pulling it a lot or full timing it I'd stick with a TT.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #18

I guess (by my math) I'm in the minority. We went from a 28BHBE (TT) to a 377RLBH (5er) and we couldn't be happier! I wouldn't go back to a TT after having a 5er. My girls are 8 and 11 and love the new 5er. Time will tell if the feelings continue, but thus far it was a great investment in family time for us!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #19

We bought a Large TT because they are the most bang for your buck. We also carry a golf cart everywhere we go. I would rather have a 45ft Toyhauler but they are way out of my budget. The wife also does not like the garage area on them. A TT and pickup is the easiest most economical way to carry a Golf cart or toy.

I do get a bit annoyed when fifth wheel ppl act like I want to or should want to UPGRADE to a Fifth wheel. For us it would not be an upgrade unless it was a mega toyhauler. A lot of us have TT's mostly because of personal choice followed by budget.

With my LWB DRW truck there is only a slight difference in towing vs a fifth wheel. Being that I have a gas truck I don't have the big power like the diesels but on relatively flat highway I can run all day long with the fifth wheels and DP MH's. 70-75 mph with nary a sway.

Once set up we all have similar comforts and luxuries. The setup part has been argued to death too. Un hooking for me is as fast as any fifth wheel. Hooking up takes about 2 mins longer. A TT with fifth wheel like features is the best compromise.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #20

We bought a Large TT because they are the most bang for your buck. We also carry a golf cart everywhere we go. I would rather have a 45ft Toyhauler but they are way out of my budget. The wife also does not like the garage area on them. A TT and pickup is the easiest most economical way to carry a Golf cart or toy.

I do get a bit annoyed when fifth wheel ppl act like I want to or should want to UPGRADE to a Fifth wheel. For us it would not be an upgrade unless it was a mega toyhauler. A lot of us have TT's mostly because of personal choice followed by budget.

With my LWB DRW truck there is only a slight difference in towing vs a fifth wheel. Being that I have a gas truck I don't have the big power like the diesels but on relatively flat highway I can run all day long with the fifth wheels and DP MH's. 70-75 mph with nary a sway.

Once set up we all have similar comforts and luxuries. The setup part has been argued to death too. Un hooking for me is as fast as any fifth wheel. Hooking up takes about 2 mins longer. A TT with fifth wheel like features is the best compromise.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote