Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

Anyone replace a Dometic 9100 Awning

I damaged mine last year and with the pandemic backing the dealer up there may be a very long wait to get it repaired. I am considering ordering a new awning and doing the install myself. Has anyone done this before and is it advisable to do this myself?
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Team

If you're a handy kind of DIYer, aren't afraid to tackle something new, and have a few friends to give you a hand, it's very doable. You'll find You Tube videos helpful, and if the new one comes with some instructions, you should be good. The only part of an awning that can bite you is the roller spring. Be mindful of it when taking the old one off, and when attaching the new arms, and tensioning it. Not a terrible job, especially since you have an old one already set up, and can see how it comes off. I would hold onto your old hardware if the new one doesn't come with it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Will definitely pay attention to the spring. I have replaced a garage door spring so I am aware of the hazards.
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #4

I just replaced our entire CareFree awning assembly (arms, rod, fabric).
The effort took a good couple of hours but wasn't too terrible, good activity to get me outside.

Advice:
Be careful to relieve tension, and count spring rotations.
Might need +2 helpers to hold the 'rod' and fabric as you slide the fabric through the channel where it attaches to the RV.
Measure the length and width of your fabric to ensure your replacement is the same.
There are some good DIY videos on utube.
Since I was replacing the entire assembly, I had to re-position one of the arms as my new 'rod' was about 6 inches longer; may not be an issue if you are replacing fabric only.

Tools/Supplies:
Depending on how the awning is attached and configuration of your end-caps, you might not need to detach the end-caps.
Might need a rivet gun (better than screws to re-attach the rod to the arms). Be sure your rivets are the right size, and get some extra if you aren't familiar with how to use it.
Recommend some spray silicone (help avoid the new fabric catching as you slide it back in).
I had to re-drill and re-mount the arms because my new 'rod' was about 6 inches longer than previous.
cromrell is offline   Reply With Quote