Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #1

Anyone tow a 28bhbe with a Sierra 1500 w/6.2L engine?

I’m not looking for a weight or scale discussion, just actual experience and feedback. We’re considering our next trailer and tow vehicle and my truck is my daily driver so I don’t really want a 3/4 ton for the 5% of the time I tow but I don’t want to bite off more trailer than my truck can comfortably tow. I’m interested in hearing people’s actual experiences. I’ve heard good things about the GMC/Chevy 6.2 liter engine on the half ton from people that always had a 3/4 ton. So who tows a 28bhbe or similar with that setup?
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra crew cab with the 6.2. Aldo a 2017 Whitehawk 27DSRL. Truck is my daily driver. I can get 24-25 mpg on the freeway not pulling. Pulling the trailer is around 11 mpg.

Truck handle trailer with no problems. I pull the trailer around the hills of Vermont and New Hampshire without any issues. Have not pulled out west over large mountains.

Seems like a great combination.

Truck is like a race car. 0-60 a little under 6 seconds.

Good luck on your quest.
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #3

I can't comment on the truck but will comment on the 28BHBE. Ours comes in at 8500# with a full load of fresh water. We have lots of cast iron and always travel with several cases of beer and water. Pantry is full of supplies and fridge is full most of the time. We don't skimp on contents. That said, our tongue weight is right at 1200#. I do have 2 - group 27 batteries. What you will want to watch is the amount of stuff you haul in the truck. What is the available payload of your truck? That will be the concern. What WDH will you use?

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I’m not looking for a weight or scale discussion, just actual experience and feedback. We’re considering our next trailer and tow vehicle and my truck is my daily driver so I don’t really want a 3/4 ton for the 5% of the time I tow but I don’t want to bite off more trailer than my truck can comfortably tow. I’m interested in hearing people’s actual experiences. I’ve heard good things about the GMC/Chevy 6.2 liter engine on the half ton from people that always had a 3/4 ton. So who tows a 28bhbe or similar with that setup?
Hi. Your question may be a little more complicated than you wanted. The 6.2 is a great engine and will give you excelelnt fuel economy when not pulling. However you can get it with a couple rear end ratios and two box lengths and 3 suspensions.

I pull an eagle 266rks loaded is about 8000 pounds

I have pulled with the same engine using a 5 ft 8 box and 6ft6 box. Noticing a big difference in stability

No idea how heavy your trailer is but i would suggest making sure you get the max trailer package

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

Another note for you. My Whitehawk is 31.5feet long. Weights around 7,000 pounds. Payload capacity on the truck is 1850 pounds. I have max tow package with the 5.8 bed. The whitehawk seems to be lighter than the unit you are looking at. It is more aerodynamic too.

Good luck.
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
I can't comment on the truck but will comment on the 28BHBE. Ours comes in at 8500# with a full load of fresh water. We have lots of cast iron and always travel with several cases of beer and water. Pantry is full of supplies and fridge is full most of the time. We don't skimp on contents. That said, our tongue weight is right at 1200#. I do have 2 - group 27 batteries. What you will want to watch is the amount of stuff you haul in the truck. What is the available payload of your truck? That will be the concern. What WDH will you use?
I know that the original poster didn't want this to turn in to a weight discussion. However, I'm not sure how we are to discuss this without thinking of the inherent payload issues with the 1/2 ton segment.

Using your loaded trailer as an example, that 1200# hitch weight would put my wife's 1/2 Ram 1500 crew cab within 200# of the payload rating. We are not the smallest people and I guarantee you that just my family in the truck would put us over the payload rating if we were pulling your trailer as is with no other cargo.

Nobody here is going to doubt the GMC 6.2's ability to pull that trailer. However, unless the GMC has a significant payload rating, a 28BHBE is going to be pushing or exceeding the #'s envelope
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I know that the original poster didn't want this to turn in to a weight discussion. However, I'm not sure how we are to discuss this without thinking of the inherent payload issues with the 1/2 ton segment.

Using your loaded trailer as an example, that 1200# hitch weight would put my wife's 1/2 Ram 1500 crew cab within 200# of the payload rating. We are not the smallest people and I guarantee you that just my family in the truck would put us over the payload rating if we were pulling your trailer as is with no other cargo.

Nobody here is going to doubt the GMC 6.2's ability to pull that trailer. However, unless the GMC has a significant payload rating, a 28BHBE is going to be pushing or exceeding the #'s envelope
You make an extremely important point. I work in the industry and to often people dont want to go to a heavy duty truck when they are pushing the limits of their payload.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

The BHBE is too much trailer for a half ton. It’s long, giving it a big cross-section and a high hitch weight. I tried it with 2 half tons and the trailer “handles” the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

I towed the 28BHBE with a half ton. Over about 60mph it was the tail waging the dog. I had a short bed. Pulling power was never an issue. Stability at highway speed was not comfortable driving for me.

IMHO a 30+ foot long travel trailer and short bed half ton is not a good combo on the highway.

Mine weighed about 7500lb loaded with 1,000-1,100lb tongue weigh. With full fuel and family I was maxed on payload. Had I kept that truck I would have added airbags and LT tires.

2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
I have a 2017 GMC Sierra crew cab with the 6.2. Aldo a 2017 Whitehawk 27DSRL. Truck is my daily driver. I can get 24-25 mpg on the freeway not pulling. Pulling the trailer is around 11 mpg.

Truck handle trailer with no problems. I pull the trailer around the hills of Vermont and New Hampshire without any issues. Have not pulled out west over large mountains.

Seems like a great combination.

Truck is like a race car. 0-60 a little under 6 seconds.

Good luck on your quest.
Thanks as I think you are the only one who read my post. I live in the same area as you so your post is very helpful.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
I towed the 28BHBE with a half ton. Over about 60mph it was the tail waging the dog. I had a short bed. Pulling power was never an issue. Stability at highway speed was not comfortable driving for me.

IMHO a 30+ foot long travel trailer and short bed half ton is not a good combo on the highway.

Mine weighed about 7500lb loaded with 1,000-1,100lb tongue weigh. With full fuel and family I was maxed on payload. Had I kept that truck I would have added airbags and LT tires.

Was it the GMC or Chevy with the 6.2 liter engine?
Old 12-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwalk63 View Post
Hi. Your question may be a little more complicated than you wanted. The 6.2 is a great engine and will give you excelelnt fuel economy when not pulling. However you can get it with a couple rear end ratios and two box lengths and 3 suspensions.

I pull an eagle 266rks loaded is about 8000 pounds

I have pulled with the same engine using a 5 ft 8 box and 6ft6 box. Noticing a big difference in stability

No idea how heavy your trailer is but i would suggest making sure you get the max trailer package

I assume the longer bed was the more stable one? Thanks for the insights by the way.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
I assume the longer bed was the more stable one? Thanks for the insights by the way.
Yes the 6ft6 box was a lot more stable

Old 12-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks as I think you are the only one who read my post. I live in the same area as you so your post is very helpful.
So basically what you're really asking is "who tows a 28BHBE with a half ton when they really shouldn't be and hasn't had any problems yet?"
Old 12-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
So basically what you're really asking is "who tows a 28BHBE with a half ton when they really shouldn't be and hasn't had any problems yet?"
No I’ve done the math and Sierra 6.2 properly equipped is well within it’s payload capacity but what I am asking for is people’s actual experience which to me is more important. Unfortunately people like you troll this type of posts and think everyone needs a bigger truck and add zero value to the conversation.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
No I’ve done the math and Sierra 6.2 properly equipped is well within it’s payload capacity but what I am asking for is people’s actual experience which to me is more important. Unfortunately people like you troll this type of posts and think everyone needs a bigger truck and add zero value to the conversation.
Considering there is nothing in it for whoever suggests the heavier truck they would be valid comments.
Everyones experience will vary. The same truck and same trailer is going satisfy the owners differently depending if they are in the mountains or the prairies.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #17

Always hard to find somebody that has the exact same combo. Closest thing would be those with powerful half tons pulling a trailer of similar weight and length. I also agree, there's more than math to all of this, and it's good to get some real world practical feedback.

All that being said, I pulled a longer TT with a Tundra and Equalizer 10K hitch. 29.5' bunk house. It wasn't fun over 60ish. Or in wind. Or on a rough backroad with wind, around semis etc. I don't think I'd do that much trailer with a half ton again. I know it's not your specific truck, but it's a powerful half ton pulling a long box. Same stuff more or less. Lots of power, short on wheelbase, suspension, and weight. Also, I was within all the limits +/- 100lbs. So, math doesn't always tell the whole story.

If you have a desire for longer trips in the future and want the drive to be relaxed, I'd go with more truck or less trailer. If just quick 100 mile weekend runs, then I'd just deal with handling characteristics of the 1/2 ton towing that big trailer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #18

Just listen to people and your gut telling you that you need a bigger truck. There’s a reason you don’t want people to talk about you needing a bigger truck. It’s because you NEED a bigger truck. My families on the road with you and I’d appreciate it if you towed safely. More your family is also on the road with you so I’d make sure you tow safely.

nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #19

The 6.2 might be a great engine but there's no way I'd pull a 28BHBE with a 1500. I had a 2008 1500 Silverado and my 6k lb 26BH pushed that truck around, especially on mildly windy days. I hated the way it handled and stopped the camper. Good luck.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #20

I am towing 28DSBH with a short wheels base car and ProPride. The combo is rock solid. Strong cross-winds, semis, etc. - no problem... There is another guy towing 27DSRL with short wheel base car on this forum... and ProPride.

Do you research. 99% users here will tell you that you need 3/4 or a tank to tow the trailer. I can't say whether your vehicle will do the job, as I do not know your vehicle. But definitely, worth to check other options than immediately buying 3/4 ton TV.

Quote:
bono is offline   Reply With Quote