Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 18
THREEBUTCHERS, Thanks for the tips. I'll look into it!
__________________

TheTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
Grumpy, Good to hear another Odyssey owner having success. The hitches for the Odyssey are rated at 350lbs. The 17Z has a hitch weight of 395lbs so its encouraging to see that your son has no issues going over the hitch rating. It seems plenty of people go over this rating with no problems, but I wanted to keep it as close as possible. One of the main reasons I chose the 184BH was the hitch weight of 315. Hoping I won't need to use weight distribution. Thanks for chiming in!
Our dealer installed the hitch and IIRC it has a 500 lb rating and he does use equalizers.
__________________

__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
The yellow sticker is the shipping weight, and on my 154BH, that included everything. The only dealer installed item was the battery - should be the same for the 184BH (check your contract).
Um, that's pretty much what I said. Factory installed options include things like the awning, etc. However you guys are also forgetting the weight of propane. I don't know if the 184BH can be bought with dual propane tanks or not. Even so, the factory does not fill the propane tanks. In fact, most dealers don't anymore either. They only put in enough to test everything and for the walk though. So if its a single tank, its probably not a big deal, but you certainly have to factor it in with the thin margins you guys are playing with here.

As far as your stuff weighing 300#, that may be. But given your TV, I doubt you have 2 kids with you also. As I said in an earlier post, when we had our Kiwi 17a, our gear didn't weigh more than 350# either. Now add the things needed for a couple of growing children. I know, I've been there.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
One of the main reasons I chose the 184BH was the hitch weight of 315. Hoping I won't need to use weight distribution.
I do find it odd that Honda says you can't use a W/D hitch. I would do a bit more research on that and see what your options are. If I was you, I would certainly be a lot more comfortable with a W/D. Is it a factory installed hitch? If so, I'm thinking that's where the limitation is. I wonder if a good quality 3rd party hitch would solve the issue?

Class III hitches have 2 ratings. Dead weight, meaning tongue simply dropped onto the hitch. And W/D rating. Your biggest limitation is the rear suspension of the TV. Also, have you considered air bags? Airlift makes an airbag kit for the Odyssey. I used them on my Pontiac Montana when I towed with it. They won't increase your towing capacity or tongue weight limit, but they will improve your towing experience and keep the weight on your front tires. Something to consider.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
xkuzme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 280
I tow my 184BH with a Jeep Wrangler unlimited (4 dr). Specs for the Wrangler are nearly the same as your minivan. 3500 pounds and 300 tongue. My Jeep tows it well, though not a power house by any means.

There are things that you can do to lessen the tongue weight. You can install a small motorcycle battery (in place of the group 24 battery) if your only intention is to camp with electric hook ups. The battery in that case will be enough to help with the emergency brake away for the trailer brakes. You can also buy a small 1 gallon propane tank or something similar http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-28...+propane+tanks. or http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tan...+propane+tanks or http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tan...+propane+tanks Is it really necessary for most of your trips to carry around 20 + pounds of propane. If I only run my fridge and water heater on propane, I can make it through half a camping season with one 20 pound propane tank. That is a lot of weight that may not always be needed.

Having enough propane to run the water heater and maybe the stove for a brief time but not taking more than you need will help reduce the tongue weight a great deal.

X
__________________
...she started talking about how I never listened to her or somethin, I donno, I wasn't really paying attention...

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I do find it odd that Honda says you can't use a W/D hitch. I would do a bit more research on that and see what your options are. If I was you, I would certainly be a lot more comfortable with a W/D. Is it a factory installed hitch? If so, I'm thinking that's where the limitation is. I wonder if a good quality 3rd party hitch would solve the issue?.......snip
Actually Honda isn't the only manufacture that states a WDH can't be used (on specific models)..., in most cases it's not the supplied OEM receiver that's the limiting factor, but rather the type of vehicle frame used on the specific vehicle in question (ie, unibody, etc.). This also is the reason for limited tongue weights in the Weight Carrying mode on these same models.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
Grumpy, Good to hear another Odyssey owner having success. The hitches for the Odyssey are rated at 350lbs. The 17Z has a hitch weight of 395lbs so its encouraging to see that your son has no issues going over the hitch rating. It seems plenty of people go over this rating with no problems!......snip
I wouldn't assume that "Grumpy's" son is towing above his receiver's weight rating, he may have loaded his 17Z such that the "loaded" tongue weight is within the receiver's weight limits.

Please note that it isn't a safe practice to exceed any TV receiver's (hitch rating) Weight Carrying, and/or Weight Distribution mode limits (OEM receiver or otherwise).

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Threebutchers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Um, that's pretty much what I said. Factory installed options include things like the awning, etc. However you guys are also forgetting the weight of propane. I don't know if the 184BH can be bought with dual propane tanks or not. Even so, the factory does not fill the propane tanks. In fact, most dealers don't anymore either. They only put in enough to test everything and for the walk though. So if its a single tank, its probably not a big deal, but you certainly have to factor it in with the thin margins you guys are playing with here.

As far as your stuff weighing 300#, that may be. But given your TV, I doubt you have 2 kids with you also. As I said in an earlier post, when we had our Kiwi 17a, our gear didn't weigh more than 350# either. Now add the things needed for a couple of growing children. I know, I've been there.
The shipping weight (of the SWIFT series) includes propane tank and a full load of propane (checked Jaycos website again) - and you can see my shipping sticker below. All in...the shipping weight is 125# over the dry weight listed on the website.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
They actually do not send the units out with full propane tanks, but add the amount of what the propane would weigh to the sticker. The dealer then fills the tanks if he so chooses. My tanks were full on when I picked up my trailer.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Threebutchers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
They actually do not send the units out with full propane tanks
Very true - my dealer filled mine as well and noted "N/C" on the contract....and it was N/C based on the deal I worked

Best wishes TheTick! Get some pictures up soon and start getting ready
__________________

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.