Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #21

I reset the entire hitch and drilled pilot holes for the set screws, as well as set the brackets on a slight angle. Hopefully this works! Will report back after a trip or two.
xizowudao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #22

Drill an indent for the setscrew. I have my chains very tight and haven't had an issue in over 2 years.
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #23

I have a jay feather 23rbm with a dry weight of 4710 works great for me. I'm towing with a 2014 ford f150 3.5 ecoboost supercab.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I have no experience with any WDH, but have a slight off topic question. How satisfied are the Anderson oweners and would this work on a 24RBS with a 5800 dry weight? Thanks. Jay
I love my Andersen. Does everything they claim. I think it would work with your rig no problem.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:47 AM   #25

Thank you LuckyDuck for responding. What I like about the Andersen is no bars to fight with or to find a place to store. It would seem to me that the only 2 possible things to go wrong are the trailer frame brackets slipping, which this thread if about, and the anti-sway in the hitch head wearing out. The other type of WDHs would be less likely to have frame brackets slip because most of the force is the bars pushing down on the brackets instead of trying to pull them forward like the chains do on this type. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #26

One other thing I’ll add is Andersen’s customer service is very good. They are responsive and helpful. Not a big deal, but when I inquired about getting a new “cotter pin” to replace mine that bent, they immediately sent one, and a triangle plate, free of charge.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
One other thing I’ll add is Andersen’s customer service is very good. They are responsive and helpful. Not a big deal, but when I inquired about getting a new “cotter pin” to replace mine that bent, they immediately sent one, and a triangle plate, free of charge.
And just to add, when you call, you speak to a real person that actually knows the product. They don't have to put you on hold, go ask someone else, and then get back to you. I've found them extremely helpful.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #28

Just did a weight check on my rig. With the trailer on I lost 200 pounds off the front axle, 2680 to 2480. My trailer weighed in at 3480 loaded and the Jeep weight was 5180. I use 6 threads tightness and have run in heavy winds and heavy traffic with never a sway incident or feeling of steering problems. The dealer said it was dialed in at 4 threads showing but I started tightening after 20 miles and finally arrived at the factory suggested 6 for my rig. The integrated sway feature is GREAT!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #29

Quote:
I have no experience with any WDH, but have a slight off topic question. How satisfied are the Anderson oweners and would this work on a 24RBS with a 5800 dry weight? Thanks. Jay
I‘ve been using the Andersen hitch for years with a number of tow behinds. It has worked flawlessly and I have never had any issue with the brackets moving. Similarly, our trailer tows rock steady, even in a cross wind. We came from. 5th wheels and were concerned about trailer stability, but there just hasn’t been any problem.

We currently use it for our Jayflight 31QBDS, a large trailer which weighs about 9,000 lbs. loaded for travel. The Anderson hitch handles it without a problem and I recommend it highly.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #30

Thanks RKHengst, and everyone for educating me. After looking at some video, it appears that the trailer coupling has to grip the ball firmly,and not pivot around the ball like my regular draw bar and hitch ball. Has anyone ever had trouble with the coupling slipping on the hitchball or having the hitchball loosen up inside the aluminum housing i.e. the plastic bushing wear out and the ball turn easily? I really like the concept of this hitch. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks RKHengst, and everyone for educating me. After looking at some video, it appears that the trailer coupling has to grip the ball firmly,and not pivot around the ball like my regular draw bar and hitch ball. Has anyone ever had trouble with the coupling slipping on the hitchball or having the hitchball loosen up inside the aluminum housing i.e. the plastic bushing wear out and the ball turn easily? I really like the concept of this hitch. Jay

Andersen did have a problem with the brake material coming out of the cone but fixed it with a hold down ring on the new model. Mine did not come out more than a quarter inch but I got the new one and an improved triangle plate for $100. Mine works slightly on the ball as the trailer goes over big bumps or steep slopes but never sideways. It simply can't the way it is designed. My red plastic "spring" bushings are about 8,000 miles old but show zero wear.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Mine was an early model from 2015. There was a batch of the friction cones that ended up with some metal shavings in them that caused premature failure of the friction cone. In my case it froze which prevented the ball from turning. Andersen has great support and I was shipped free of charge a replacement cone. Replacement was easy on the early model - just remove a ring clip from the bottom and pop the tapered ball out. The friction cone took a little bit of care to remove without scratching the wall but I found I could use one of the bearing/race seal driver tools to pop it out. After that incident I started carrying a spare friction cone as well as a spare red urethane bushing as the early models were prone to having those split under heavy pressure.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #33

I have the new triangle plate but don’t have the retaining ring over the brake material. It hasn’t moved and I’m approaching 10k mikes. It works as billed and we’ve been through some ugly cross winds and plenty of two-lane highways with semi-truck traffic. My F250 sways more than the trailer!
Old 08-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #34

I have the newest version with black ring plate over ball, I use it with my 2018 224BH and I'm extremely satisfied with the Anderson WDH. No sway and the design with poly bushings makes the ride much better than traditional spring bars. Have to say this is my one and only WDH I will own. Well worth every penny.
RudyBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #35

Quick update: I drilled holes for the set screws and reset the entire hitch, and just got back from a 2000km trip with the trailer. Everything held up great and the brackets didn't walk forward anymore. Success!
Old 08-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizowudao View Post
Quick update: I drilled holes for the set screws and reset the entire hitch, and just got back from a 2000km trip with the trailer. Everything held up great and the brackets didn't walk forward anymore. Success!
Glad you got it fixed! I really like my Andersen hitch but I actually had a bad experience with their customer service. I've bent 3 of the pins that hold the triangle plate on. After the first one bent, in the first few months of owning it, I emailed them and felt like I was completely dismissed and they said operator error, not covered under warranty. I called and got the same response. They just blew me off. I've gone through 3 pins, that I purchase, in about 2 and a half years. I re-read the instructions and watched the videos a bunch of times and I don't believe I have the chains too tight. I actually would like them tighter but I'm trying not to bend the pins.

Edit: Oh and I don't have a Jayco anymore. I just like all the info here. I have a 10000lbs toy hauler now.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnydz View Post
Glad you got it fixed! I really like my Andersen hitch but I actually had a bad experience with their customer service. I've bent 3 of the pins that hold the triangle plate on. After the first one bent, in the first few months of owning it, I emailed them and felt like I was completely dismissed and they said operator error, not covered under warranty. I called and got the same response. They just blew me off. I've gone through 3 pins, that I purchase, in about 2 and a half years. I re-read the instructions and watched the videos a bunch of times and I don't believe I have the chains too tight. I actually would like them tighter but I'm trying not to bend the pins.

Edit: Oh and I don't have a Jayco anymore. I just like all the info here. I have a 10000lbs toy hauler now.
I've had to replace that pin a couple times too.. Ive noticed if i have it sitting at a certain angle then it won't hit the plate and get bent.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #38

I replaced my standard hitch pin from Andersen with one that looks like this because it is easier to insert and pull out with the handle. It may also be a better grade metal. Maybe $5 at Farm and Fleet so was just to make it easier to handle. I also added a leash to the safety pin so I wouldn't lose it or forget it.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #39

Quote:
I've had to replace that pin a couple times too.. Ive noticed if i have it sitting at a certain angle then it won't hit the plate and get bent.
Oh good, well at least I'm not the only one then
Old 08-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnydz View Post

Quote:
Are you talking about the hitch pin that holds the triangle plate onto the ball hitch? Or the small “cotter pin” that keeps the hitch pin in place? My cotter pin got bent once and Andersen sent me another free. No problems since. I always insert it so it is perfectly vertical so it doesn’t get bent when turning.