Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Are you talking about the hitch pin that holds the triangle plate onto the ball hitch? Or the small “cotter pin” that keeps the hitch pin in place? My cotter pin got bent once and Andersen sent me another free. No problems since. I always insert it so it is perfectly vertical so it doesn’t get bent when turning.
I've bent the 5/8" hitch pin that holds the triangle plate to the bottom of the ball. On my 4th pin. I have to beat it out with a hammer sometimes. Slide a new one in and it's just fine.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnydz View Post
I've bent the 5/8" hitch pin that holds the triangle plate to the bottom of the ball. On my 4th pin. I have to beat it out with a hammer sometimes. Slide a new one in and it's just fine.
Wow, it’s hard to see those pins bending like that. Did Andersen have any explanation as to why? Possibly too much weight for the Andersen to handle? So far, we’ve been very lucky and have had no problems. Knock on wood.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Wow, it’s hard to see those pins bending like that. Did Andersen have any explanation as to why? Possibly too much weight for the Andersen to handle? So far, we’ve been very lucky and have had no problems. Knock on wood.
No, they were no help. Just said operator error and maybe I went through too steep of a transition like a steep driveway? It's a 10klbs trailer and the hitch is supposed to be good to 14k so.. ? I'm camping labor day weekend. If you want to see my set up I can take pictures and start a new thread when I get back. I don't want to veer off topic on the OP's thread.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
No, they were no help. Just said operator error and maybe I went through too steep of a transition like a steep driveway? It's a 10klbs trailer and the hitch is supposed to be good to 14k so.. ? I'm camping labor day weekend. If you want to see my set up I can take pictures and start a new thread when I get back. I don't want to veer off topic on the OP's thread.
I've pulled over 12.5K with mine with my flat deck and loader and there have been no issues. So, I don't think it is a weight related issue.

I still can't picture how you are getting enough movement of the triangle plate vs. the bottom of the ball to cause a bend. Mine seats firmly in all directions when installed with absolutely no play. I wonder if the bottom of your ball mount or inside of your triangle plate could be machined incorrectly causing the excess movement.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #45

Quote:
Just curious — do you have the older version of the triangle plate (black with collar) or the newer silver one?
Attached Thumbnails
47A8D929-610E-469B-B2D7-076D6BF40D4B.jpeg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #46

Wow haven't bent my triangle hitch pin in two years I've used my Andersen. Only thing I can think of that would cause that would be your tongue jack bottom plate isn't high enough or low enough and binding on the triangle plate. I always put it below or a bit above the plate
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #47

Yes, I would like to see the configuration used. I know the plate can bend, but I cannot imagine how the pin could bend. I know mine never did.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Just curious — do you have the older version of the triangle plate (black with collar) or the newer silver one?
I have the silver plate with the ball in the upper right.

After labor day I'll post a picture of my set up on a new thread. I don't think there is cell service where I'm going. I'll look and see if I still have any of the bent pins. You can barely see that they are bent but I have to beat them out with a hammer and the new one slides right in. If I roll it on a flat surface you can see it has just a tiny bend to it. Just enough to bind when trying to remove it.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:11 PM   #49

Quote:
I have the silver plate with the ball in the upper right.

After labor day I'll post a picture of my set up on a new thread. I don't think there is cell service where I'm going. I'll look and see if I still have any of the bent pins. You can barely see that they are bent but I have to beat them out with a hammer and the new one slides right in. If I roll it on a flat surface you can see it has just a tiny bend to it. Just enough to bind when trying to remove it.
Same setup that I have. Only time I have had any trouble removing the pin is when I don’t raise the ball hitch quite enough and the chains are too taut. With enough slack it slides right out. It’s hard to imagine how a pin that stout and inserted through almost solid metal could bend anywhere. Very strange.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #50

I just posted a new thread in the towing section on my bent pin.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:58 PM   #51

I have had mine for 1 year I went ahead and tack welded the brackets ( after they were in there proper place) as I plan on having this one for a long time, it will never move.
dgmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:56 AM   #52

Considering purchasing an Andersen for a 210QB. Do not have trailer yet, so can’t measure. Did most purchase the standard kit 3350 with 4 inch drop / 6 inch frame?
Tow vehicle is ‘13 F-150.
610 Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:31 AM   #53

I would not buy the kit until you know the height of the tongue and the trailer hitch opening on the truck. The cost of changing the drop length is quite expensive compared to a conventional steel one.

I would measure the truck then go to the RV shop with one in stock and measure it when level and call Andersen for advice on which one to purchase. I have found the customer service at Andersen to be 5 Star!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:17 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610 Mike View Post
Considering purchasing an Andersen for a 210QB. Do not have trailer yet, so can’t measure. Did most purchase the standard kit 3350 with 4 inch drop / 6 inch frame?
Tow vehicle is ‘13 F-150.
We did. We have a 212 qb with an Andersen hitch. While I would never tell anyone to tow in a 40-60 mph crosswind we did today to get home. That Anderseon was a real lifesaver. Twice in 500 miles it activated the trailer brakes to avoid sway. Otherwise we might have gone awry badly. We tow with a GMC Canyon and it does not complain.

So I can't recommend it highly enough.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote