Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
Finally made it out to the weigh scale today. I didn't realize it was one of the busiest in my area, and trucks were lined up. I had to move fast and I was not inside the vehicle when it was weighed both times (I could not just weigh the truck as the parking lot was packed and I had no where to drop trailer). Here are the numbers, which I really don't know what they tell me as I have to read up more on this:

With weight distribution engaged:

Steer Axle: 3780lbs
Drive Axle: 4460lbs
Trailer Axle: 6620lbs
Gross 14860lbs

Without weight distribution engaged and bars hanging:

Steer Axle: 3560lbs
Drive Axle: 4800lbs
Trailer Axle: 6500lbs
Gross 14860lbs

The trailer was loaded, and filled with water (80 gallons). I weigh 210lbs, and will have the wife 150lbs and two small children.

I would love to hear your input. I have 6 washers in the equalizer and have one more hole that I can drop down in shank if needed.
__________________

borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
olyelr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kewadin, MI
Posts: 190
You have to weight the truck (with no trailer) so you know the weight on the front axle. That is the end number you are shooting for with the WD hitch engaged.
__________________

__________________
2016 Jayflight 28BHBE Elite
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Power Wagon (4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 gears).

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
Got it, will be runnig back to the scale. Just got trailer unhooked.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
Finally made it out to the weigh scale today. I didn't realize it was one of the busiest in my area, and trucks were lined up. I had to move fast and I was not inside the vehicle when it was weighed both times (I could not just weigh the truck as the parking lot was packed and I had no where to drop trailer). Here are the numbers, which I really don't know what they tell me as I have to read up more on this:

With weight distribution engaged:

Steer Axle: 3780lbs
Drive Axle: 4460lbs
Trailer Axle: 6620lbs
Gross 14860lbs

Without weight distribution engaged and bars hanging:

Steer Axle: 3560lbs
Drive Axle: 4800lbs
Trailer Axle: 6500lbs
Gross 14860lbs

The trailer was loaded, and filled with water (80 gallons). I weigh 210lbs, and will have the wife 150lbs and two small children.

I would love to hear your input. I have 6 washers in the equalizer and have one more hole that I can drop down in shank if needed.
Got the final weigh in with just the truck:

Steer axel: 3980

Drive axel: 3400

Gross weight: 7380

Any final helping dialing my WDH in with these numbers would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
olyelr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kewadin, MI
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
Got the final weigh in with just the truck:

Steer axel: 3980

Drive axel: 3400

Gross weight: 7380

Any final helping dialing my WDH in with these numbers would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Looks like you could get another couple hundred pounds on the front axle to get back to unloaded weight. If you have room for more washers, I would add another.

What kind of vehicle do you have? That is a heavy rig! What are the weight ratings for the front and rear axles?
__________________
2016 Jayflight 28BHBE Elite
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Power Wagon (4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 gears).

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
jsallman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ames
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
This is the current t setting on the bars.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I think your one hole lower than the standard defaults with your type of tongue, check the manual out. I will grab some pictures of mine over the weekend for you to compare, also hope to put the 6th washer in this weekend and recheck the transfer to the front before we take a long trip in about 10 days. I am pretty sure my setup is at the default and 1 bolt higher on the brackets, but its in storage about 15 miles away right now.

I am wondering if your bars are slightly angled down and that may be causing it to scrape at an angle on the brackets and make more noise, raising the brackets 1 notch will increase the weight distribution and as was pointed out by Olyelr, put the extra couple of hundred of pounds on the front axle to get you closer to normal hopefully.

Do you have to hook up the truck to the ball, lock the ball on, then raise the back of the truck a ways with the jack to get the bars to slide on easily without the cheater bar? With the brackets in that position I am wondering if they nearly slide on without raising it much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Looks like you could get another couple hundred pounds on the front axle to get back to unloaded weight. If you have room for more washers, I would add another.

What kind of vehicle do you have? That is a heavy rig! What are the weight ratings for the front and rear axles?
X2, agreed on the couple hundred pounds weight AND that these RAM 2500's are dang heavy. Mine came in at 7720lbs 2 adults and 2 kids, nearly as heavy as the trailer, much heavier than my old F150 SCREW. Wouldn't want one to run over your toe!
__________________
2016 Jayflight 29BHDS
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab - 6.4 Hemi
2013 Ford F150 Supercrew EcoBoost, MaxTow (Loved and Sold)

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:44 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
Country_Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 570
We are new to this. Only have had our first trailer for a year next month. We have a 3/4 ton Ford Excursion. Use an Equalizer and don't have any noise unless it's a sharper turn. I believe we are set up with 2 holes above and 2 below on the L-brackets. We have 4 washers in ours. Will snap a picture on Monday if it will help in any way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
__________________
2016 Jay Feather X254
2001 Ford Excursion 6.8L V10 4.30's
Equal-i-zer 1000/10,000 WDH

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
I think your one hole lower than the standard defaults with your type of tongue, check the manual out. I will grab some pictures of mine over the weekend for you to compare, also hope to put the 6th washer in this weekend and recheck the transfer to the front before we take a long trip in about 10 days. I am pretty sure my setup is at the default and 1 bolt higher on the brackets, but its in storage about 15 miles away right now.

I am wondering if your bars are slightly angled down and that may be causing it to scrape at an angle on the brackets and make more noise, raising the brackets 1 notch will increase the weight distribution and as was pointed out by Olyelr, put the extra couple of hundred of pounds on the front axle to get you closer to normal hopefully.

Do you have to hook up the truck to the ball, lock the ball on, then raise the back of the truck a ways with the jack to get the bars to slide on easily without the cheater bar? With the brackets in that position I am wondering if they nearly slide on without raising it much.



X2, agreed on the couple hundred pounds weight AND that these RAM 2500's are dang heavy. Mine came in at 7720lbs 2 adults and 2 kids, nearly as heavy as the trailer, much heavier than my old F150 SCREW. Wouldn't want one to run over your toe!
Thank you again for all your help. I was thinking the same thing about the bars, but I was unsure. That's what I thought about the noise as well. I know there will be some noise, but it should not be so loud, considering I have the equalizer jackets AND lubed up beyond belief. Post the pics when you can of the bracket position or let me know. I do have to raise up the truck a bit for the arms to go on, not too much though. One side I can basically lift up and place the bar on. The other side, sometimes I need the tool, but if I raise it up enough the assist tool is not needed at all.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 294
Also forgot to mention I was looking at the brackets today and where the bars sit against the bracket all of the paint off the brackets is completely rubbed off. Probably from the bars scrapping against the brackets. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
jsallman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ames
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
I think your one hole lower than the standard defaults with your type of tongue, check the manual out. I will grab some pictures of mine over the weekend for you to compare, also hope to put the 6th washer in this weekend and recheck the transfer to the front before we take a long trip in about 10 days. I am pretty sure my setup is at the default and 1 bolt higher on the brackets, but its in storage about 15 miles away right now.
Here are the pictures of my setup. I added the 6th washer today, didn't change anything else. With 5 washers, the wheel well distance measurement in the manual didn't return quite 50% back, with 6 it is a little over 50%. My cat scale measurements with 5 washers a few weeks ago also indicated i should be returning a little more to the front as well. I will probably get it to a scale to see how much closer the front axle is to the stock weight early next week.

If I were you, and given your tongue is a little lighter, I would move the brackets back to the default position as indicated in the install manual, and perhaps go back to 5 washers, and both measure the wheel wells as the manual tells and weigh if you can and see where you are at. If your still short, add the 6th. Moving those brackets up is going to make the bars a lot tighter and probably sit more parallel to the trailer frame.

I noticed marginally more "noise" today after adding the 6th, but nothing I am not used to. Going slow and tight turns, your going to hear it pop and creak. Driving at highway speeds and taking curves etc, your not gonna hear a thing. I don't have the little nylon silencers nor have I ever added any greese/lube to the bars since I got it last year.



__________________

__________________
2016 Jayflight 29BHDS
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab - 6.4 Hemi
2013 Ford F150 Supercrew EcoBoost, MaxTow (Loved and Sold)

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.