Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #1

Anyone with a 14+ Ram 2500 4x4, Equalizer Hitch, and recent model year Jayco?

Hi all.

I have my '16 29BHDS in storage and have a new TV. I am trying to best setup the equalizer to go and get it soon, its about an hour away.

would anyone who has a later model 4x4 Ram 2500 crew cab 6.4 bed and a recent jayco double axle trailer in the 28-35 foot range mind sharing which Shank your using, how many washers you have on the head, and which shank holes your using? Picture would be WONDERFUL.

I would really like to get a 2.5" shank rather than use the adapter if possible, I am fairly sure the shank I have is too short cause I gained close to 4-6" of hitch height.

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #2

I have a 9" drop and use 5 washers. I am using a 2" Husky brand shank with the reducer sleeve, as it was half the price of the Equal-I-Zer brand, yet it was the same weight rating, hole diameter and hole spacing.

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #3

I'm interested to hear if or what other guys are using. I have the standard shank (2" with 3" rise 6" drop IIRC) and I think I'm just a hair too high in the front. The trailer sits level, but I'd like it to be a little tongue low. See my sig for my rig, I'm right there with you.

I will be getting an Equal-I-Zer 1400/14000 at some point, and would like to have a 2 1/2" shank with about a 9" drop. I think that'll get me closer to where I want to be. I would also like it to be a bit longer than the standard shank so I can drop my tailgate while hitched up. The deeper drop will also give me a bit more tongue weight, which I'm hoping will give me a better tow.

Back when I was looking, Curt made one that just about fit my criteria for just under a Benjamin. I'll take a closer look when I'm closer to pulling the trigger on the new hitch.

Keep us posted, I'm interested to see what you end up with...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #4

I am also interested to hear, I have a 2014 2500 6.4. I have a 27bhs on order, and these trucks have a very high rear end! I imagine I will need a shank with significant drop. I am going to be purchasing the Equalizer 10K, my dealer thought the drop shank comes with it? I'm new to towing so clueless in this area.
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
I am also interested to hear, I have a 2014 2500 6.4. I have a 27bhs on order, and these trucks have a very high rear end! I imagine I will need a shank with significant drop. I am going to be purchasing the Equalizer 10K, my dealer thought the drop shank comes with it? I'm new to towing so clueless in this area.
A drop shank does come with it (in most cases) but the drop is only like 6". In my case, that's JUST enough, but not quite optimal.

You can purchase the hitch without a shank and get your own, but there's no discount to do it that way. So you may as well take the shank they give you, and then at least if you get a different one, you could potentially sell the one they included to defray the additional cost.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 03-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #6

Bob, thank you! Any recommendations for a drop shank? How much drop should I look for?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #7

This is what I started with, this should work for you, I don't recall how many washers are used, the trailer is in the storage yard right now.

but I since have upgraded the shank to a 16 inch shank just as Bob has mentioned so that my tailgate will open with clearance to the electric jack.

And just FYI Bob, there are absolutely no issues using the longer shank, before I bought it several were concerned about it changing the leverage point and causing issues with tongue weight, but with my trailer and truck, everything works great.

I don't have a picture of the newer setup.
Attached Thumbnails
WDH hitch.jpg  

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #8

In a Curt, I was looking at part numbers 17100 or 17120. Both of those are the standard 12" length but offer between 7" and 8 1/4" drop.

Check out this link on Equal-I-zer's website:
Shank Sizes

If you have or can get the measurement for your trailer, that calculator will tell you the exact shank you need.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 03-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'm interested to hear if or what other guys are using. I have the standard shank (2" with 3" rise 6" drop IIRC) and I think I'm just a hair too high in the front. The trailer sits level, but I'd like it to be a little tongue low. See my sig for my rig, I'm right there with you.

I will be getting an Equal-I-Zer 1400/14000 at some point, and would like to have a 2 1/2" shank with about a 9" drop. I think that'll get me closer to where I want to be. I would also like it to be a bit longer than the standard shank so I can drop my tailgate while hitched up. The deeper drop will also give me a bit more tongue weight, which I'm hoping will give me a better tow.

Back when I was looking, Curt made one that just about fit my criteria for just under a Benjamin. I'll take a closer look when I'm closer to pulling the trigger on the new hitch.

Keep us posted, I'm interested to see what you end up with...
What's the top of the coupler height of the 28BHBE? We are hoping to order one soon and need to calculate for the correct drop/rise. Also, isn't the 1400/14000 too much for the 28 BHBE? I was thinking of getting the 1200/12000 instead.
glbtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
In a Curt, I was looking at part numbers 17100 or 17120. Both of those are the standard 12" length but offer between 7" and 8 1/4" drop.

Check out this link on Equal-I-zer's website:
Shank Sizes

If you have or can get the measurement for your trailer, that calculator will tell you the exact shank you need.
Mine is on order and they do not have one in stock (27BHS), so I do not know the measurements. I was looking at Etrailer and wanted to get some opinions http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...TALBM6825.htmlDo u guys think an 8'' drop will be enough? I really like these aluminum shanks. Take a look there a bunch, any recommendations would be appreciated for the Ram 2500 6.4!