Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #1

Anything to put under my tires during storage on hot asphalt?

I store my 2010 29RLS on asphalt and it gets HOT during the summer here in Texas.. I cover the tires to protect from UV, but my last set of tires (8-year old Goodyear Marathons) ended up splitting between the treads on all 4 tires during this past summer of storage. Not sure if it was from the heat, but the splitting sure looked like the tire just melted in the areas where they were on the asphalt and not on the rest of the tread..
I would like to put something under each tire during storage to keep the tires off of the asphalt's chemicals and extreme heat.
First of all, am I paranoid, or is very hot asphalt something to be concerned about during LONG TERM storage?
Next, I was thinking that maybe some plastic cutting boards might work well. Any thoughts on that?
I was thinking that wood planks might hold more moisture than I would like. I also thought of a plank of the "plastic" decking "wood" cut into 4 pieces (1 under each tire). That is kind of narrow though.
Anyone use anything else?
Thanks for any helpful input/ ideas anyone can share.
Attached Thumbnails
Split Trailer tire.jpg  
Chixdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:05 AM   #2

Use the lynx blocks..they are open web and will allow some air movement.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:14 AM   #3

The plastic decking will probably not hold/support the weight of the trailer
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chixdigit View Post
I store my 2010 29RLS on asphalt and it gets HOT during the summer here in Texas.. I cover the tires to protect from UV, but my last set of tires (8-year old Goodyear Marathons) ended up splitting between the treads on all 4 tires during this past summer of storage. Not sure if it was from the heat, but the splitting sure looked like the tire just melted in the areas where they were on the asphalt and not on the rest of the tread..
I would like to put something under each tire during storage to keep the tires off of the asphalt's chemicals and extreme heat.
First of all, am I paranoid, or is very hot asphalt something to be concerned about during LONG TERM storage?
Next, I was thinking that maybe some plastic cutting boards might work well. Any thoughts on that?
I was thinking that wood planks might hold more moisture than I would like. I also thought of a plank of the "plastic" decking "wood" cut into 4 pieces (1 under each tire). That is kind of narrow though.
Anyone use anything else?
Thanks for any helpful input/ ideas anyone can share.
these tires are notorious for this issue... do a search on them you will see... you got 8 years out of them without a blow out consider yourself lucky... get the new endurance tires and sleep at night just fine.. hot weather is still cooler than when running them down the road..

radial tires can sit without issues... don't over think it.. otherwise every RV and car lot would have to replace their tires on vehicles that sit...

otherwise the best solution is to put it on jacks and keep all the weight off of the tires...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:23 AM   #5

8 years is about twice the expected service life of a trailer tire. I’m surprised you didn’t have a catastrophic failure on the road in the last 4 years. I think covering them is also a waste of time. Ozone does more damage to rubber than UV. Unless you’re storing them in a vacuum, you can’t avoid that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #6

I have gravel/ rock at home so for the winter I drive up on 2 x 12 pressure treated boards. I do cover them and apparently now I should worry about ozone.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
"Ozone" some hear something if it is true or not and get panicky.........
You're right on at least put the tires on boards and cover them. Even better lift them of the ground and cover them. If they last ion Texas 8 years in cooler climates they will last 10
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #8

2x12 will be fine.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
"Ozone" some hear something if it is true or not and get panicky.........
You're right on at least put the tires on boards and cover them. Even better lift them of the ground and cover them. If they last ion Texas 8 years in cooler climates they will last 10
the life of a car tire is 6 years... more than 6 years it limits your braking and cornering abilities... motorcycle tires are 3 years...(I am lucky to get 1 out of the rear ;o)) trailer tires are 4 years... sure you can get more out of them... but as stated before, my life is worth more than $600 bucks on the side of the road at night with rain and a busted up trailer with a panicked wife and kids... and I would hate to have to wait for AAA to show up... hopefully a cop would...but why put his/her life in danger because I wanted to get 8 years out of my 4 year tires?

you don't need to keep your tires off the ground nor do you need to put boards under them... they do not suffer any "flat spots" or deterioration by sitting on hot pavement or ice...

But whatever helps you sleep at night is what you need to do!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #10

We change trailer tires every three years no mater how good they look.Gone to E rated truck tires a couple years ago. Were in Phoenix cooking all summer too!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Use the lynx blocks..they are open web and will allow some air movement.
X2, especially if you already have them

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post

you don't need to keep your tires off the ground nor do you need to put boards under them... they do not suffer any "flat spots" or deterioration by sitting on hot pavement or ice...
Right from GOODYEAR

Storing Your Vehicle Without Removing the Tires

Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:
Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires
Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded
Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level
Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather
Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as “flat-spotting” from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection
Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #13

I park our TT on some long planks of Trex composite decking. We are not in the hot Texas sun, we park out in the grass when in storage.

I also use it for leveling at campsites. I use the 3 long pieces and carry 12 short pieces for stabilizing the corners and placing under the tongue. It is heavy but is very durable.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #14

8 years is a very long life for a TT tires.

here is a link to a sticky regarding trailer tires.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote