Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #1

Apple TV in Whitehawk 25BHS?

Has anyone connected an Apple TV in their trailer and used it to stream online movies from an Ipad?

I know there is at least one HDMI on the TV, and hoping there are two of them. My thought is that I can connect an Apple TV to the HDMI and then download movies from NetFlix to my ipad and stream it to the Apple TV.

Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks,

Jeff
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #2

You can do it via Bluetooth between the ipad and apple tv

I've not gone this route, but I've done a couple other options.

1) Hard drive loaded with movies and Roku or Roku TV, use Roku media player to play movies

2) I have a western digital my passport wireless pro drive and have Plex installed on that. I then use the Roku TV plex client (apple TV plex client would work too) to stream movies from that.

If you already have the ipad, netflix and the apple tv then that is the cheapest and easiest solution. I can't use netflix with my setup, I have to use movies I've already downloaded elsewhere or converted. But with my #2 setup above I can serve to multiple TVs/Devices and the kids can watch something different than I watch on a rainy day.

My setup requires a little more work up front too. But it works well. Kids can stream off it while I drive too to their devices.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
On our furrion we do have an extra HDMI port and that is what we use. If you can get a cell signal and have large data you could just stream the movies. If not then I have used our iPad to stream a movie via our internal WiFi to the Apple TV. One thing you might run into is licensing restrictions. Some movies on some services restrict that. Vudu used to do that. Netflix or Amazon Video might not have that restriction.

For my internal WiFi I just use the WiFi from my hotspot. It will work as a router even if there is no cell dignal
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #4

I use this Amazon Fire Stick TV device:

Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote | Streaming Media Player https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDKK?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I use my IPAD or iPhone as a hotspot. Works great. Netflix, Amazon Prime movies, and much more.
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #5

Yes, I use the AppleTV exclusively both at home and in my RV. I also have the DirecTV Now app. If you have AT&T as your wireless carrier the traffic on DirecTV Now is not counted towards your cap. So as long as I can get a good internet signal it works great. We also have a couple of games for our kids to play.
arodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #6

You can also just use the iPad and connect it directly to the TV with the Lightning Digital AV Adapter (https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...t-MD826AM/A-CA), link is to the Apple Canada site. I use that with my iPad and cheap bluetooth remote (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to pause the movie when I need to.

This solution works great for me with Plex and Netflix and I don't have to worry about streaming from one device to another.

Greg
greg_d25 is offline   Reply With Quote