Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #21

There is never enough eyes on the road or behind you. I got a Furrion backup unit when I bought my 41’ fifth wheel. I was amazed it works great. Mine has red, yellow, and green lines in the display and it’s supposed to give you an idea if it’s safe to change lanes based on vehicles behind you.
The only thing to remember is that the trailer unit is usually hard wired to your battery. So when storing the camper make sure you shut off the power or it will drain your batteries after a few months of being on.
Enjoy your travels.
Bill29456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #22

I don't back up often, my wife is a very good helper if we have to back up. I use mine when we are traveling. No guess work if you cleared that big rig you just came around. Thats not saying it isn't great for those few timd i have to back up. Having said all that my answer to the question is YES!
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #23

I drove a truck for 30+ years so I use my mirrors constantly but I think the Furion "observation camera" is great to help with driving and somewhat at backing up. My Jayco FW was prewired so all I had to do was plug the wires in, screw it up, and adjust the camera position to where I want it. My Jayco is prewired to the running lights so I have to have my lights on for it to work. That's OK. I drove my truck with the lights on. I just felt that people would see me better. There are two types of cameras. An observation camera which works all the time and the backup camera which is only supposed to work when you back up (I can't say for sure, just what I was told).
I would say it was definitely worth it.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #24
Joy

Get the OBSERVATION camera that allows you to see what is behind you, not just when backing up. Easy to install with the trailer already wired (behind the top center running light).
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell5263 View Post
I am taking delivery of my 2020 Jayco Eagle 332 CBOK this afternoon. I love the trailer, and it has a bunch of wonderful options. It does come prewired for a backup camera, but I have some questions.

1. Are the cameras beneficial, and how?
2. With prewiring do you simply plug it in?
3. Since it is a towable trailer, how does it connect to the screen to view?
4. Can it be used while driving for changing lanes?

I have a backup camera on my tv already, but I think this would make it even better when backing into a spot by myself, or even changing lanes if it can be used while driving. I apologize if these questions have already been asked in a different thread. I saw a couple of threads regarding cameras, but didn't see my questions answered.
I think that the backup camera is worth the investment.

I mostly RV camp without a partner. So this complicates backing a RV in all sorts of ways. I started with a 24 travel trailer without the camera. It was a pain to have to get out and check the rear of the TT when trying to back into a camping slot. As well as all the other backing up necessities that occur in a RV trip.

So when I bought the 5th wheel, I made that part of the deal to get a backup camera. I got the Furrion with the small 4" screen (I think). I wish that I had gotten the 7" screen. I believe that it would have been easier to see with although it would take up more space in the truck.

Lets face it even if you have a partner camping with you that can help guide you during your requirements to backup, communications are sometimes very difficult between each other. I have found that it is best to rely on what I can see with the backup camera.

Additionally, it is nice to be able to see whats behind you when you are moving forward.

I actually added a second camera that looks onto the Anderson Hitch in the truck bed and that actually has made it alot easier to line up the 5er and the hitch.

I would recommend both of these camera because you never know when you are going to be without a partner or spotter.

Jim Johnson
2018 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4X4
2016 Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
oldmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Get the OBSERVATION camera that allows you to see what is behind you, not just when backing up. Easy to install with the trailer already wired (behind the top center running light).
The cameras are the same both allowing you to see what's behind you. What makes it either a back up camera or an observation camera is the way it's wired to the trailer.

An observation camera is wired into the trailers electrical system, receives power from the on board batteries and is live all the time but can be switched in the trailer if you choose to install or already have a switch in the unit. The reason it's called an observation camera is because you can use it while camped, you just need to take the monitor from your tow vehicle and have it with you in your unit. For this type of installation, depending on model, there is usually a wire taped to the center clearance light harness, that wire is + 12v power, you would tap the - ground from the clearance light harness to complete the circuit.

Back up camera is usually wired to the center clearance light on the tow vehicle. To obtain a view from the camera the park lights need to be activated. Turn on the park lights in the tow vehicle, camera receives power.........this enables you to view the camera when backing up or when driving down the road.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #27

pulling doubles

I installed a wireless one on my 5th wheel and like it as I'm pulling a boat behind it. I can see the how the boat is trailing as I can't see it in the mirrors unless I'm turning.
specar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
I have one that connects through my Garmin GPS (your screen switches between GPS and backup camera). I would not recommend it. Image is jerky, making it not very useful for monitoring traffic around you. It often briefly loses its wireless connection, and when it reconnects it overrides the GPS, so I have to constantly switch it manually back to GPS. I've added a manual switch between the camera and its power, so now I turn it on manually when I want it for backing, which is generally only when it's a dicey spot and my wife isn't with me (first is common for us, second is not).

I wish instead I had a separate camera, on all the time. I'll probably change it out some day.
I had one of these. Can’t remember the model number but it was a Garmin. My TV at the time didn’t have GPS so this seemed like a “kill two birds” solution. Great concept but the delay on the screen isn’t just annoying, it’s dangerous...2-3 second delay at times. Doesn’t sound like much but it’s enough for a someone to walk across the road behind you if you had to back up solo.
Sent it back immediately.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell5263 View Post
I am taking delivery of my 2020 Jayco Eagle 332 CBOK this afternoon. I love the trailer, and it has a bunch of wonderful options. It does come prewired for a backup camera, but I have some questions.

1. Are the cameras beneficial, and how?
2. With prewiring do you simply plug it in?
3. Since it is a towable trailer, how does it connect to the screen to view?
4. Can it be used while driving for changing lanes?

I have a backup camera on my tv already, but I think this would make it even better when backing into a spot by myself, or even changing lanes if it can be used while driving. I apologize if these questions have already been asked in a different thread. I saw a couple of threads regarding cameras, but didn't see my questions answered.
Looking at the replies you have, I think your questions have been answered so I won’t flog a dead horse, the only thing I’d emphasize as others have, is to get the always on model and NOT to think of it as a backup camera but an observation camera that may provide situational awareness...like when you have some idiot ride your bumper where your mirrors are no help.

This isn’t directed at you, just adding a general comment/observation. It’s always amazed me that people who may have never towed, or towed nothing bigger than a garden utility trailer, can drive off of an RV dealers lot with 40Ft and #14,000 plus of 5th wheel behind them. Add to that, RV dealers that sell oversized rigs to customers with TV’s that are nowhere near capable of controlling the trailer that will be pushing them all over the highway...instead they offer sage advice such as, ”get yourself some air-bags, you’ll be fine”.

Have you ever known anyone to hook up and test-tow a new TT or 5th wheel? The dealers don’t care, if they did, they’d have an area with a few traffic cones set up for new customers to drive through and back in and out of before they send them on their way.

While a bit long winded, my point is that while observation or backup cameras may be helpful at times, they are no substitute for competence. I fully agree that it’s preferable to have a spotter whenever possible, but for the times that we don’t, we all should be able to back into parking spaces or RV sites, near-side or blind-side, comfortably to avoid damage to our own equipment as well as others around us.

I’m quoting this from an article I read but I think it’s spot on.

Any new owners out there that just bought or are are ready to buy their first sizable rig and are a little nervous or apprehensive about maneuvering? Find an empty parking lot, take a few items to use as markers and practice...then practice some more.

Any new owners out there that just bought or are ready to buy their first sizable rig and are not at all nervous because they can drive anything on wheels? Let us know where you’re heading...so we can go in the opposite direction!
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #30

Prewired camera

It is my understanding that all new Jayco's trailers are pre-wired for a furrion camera set up. You do have to buy the monitor and camera which is a little pricey depending on the size of the monitor you buy. I Purchased a 5 inch monitor set up which comes with one camera but you can connect up to four cameras. my first set up was pretty easy just connect the camera to the monitor and pair them together and then install the camera in the pre-mounted shark fin. The pre-wired set up works from your vehicle running lights when connected to trailer. so running lights have to be on for the monitor to see the camera I also found out that on my trailer it is also has a pre-wired to my command control panel if you choose to add a switch to 12v directly. I went a little over the top by adding two more cameras one on my awning side that sees both of my entry doors and one in the front to keep an eye on my vehicle at night. both additional cameras are wired to switches that I can turn on in the evening as my security. Most trailers have a 12V cigarette lighter by your entertainment area that the monitor will plug into. I also added a additional 12V port in my bedroom for evening observation. We carry our bicycles in the rear so it's nice to be able to see if they're secure. When we travel I have all three of my cameras on and for me it's very helpful when changing lanes or making tight turns and one of the biggest benefits when backing into a site they also have audio so I can hear my wife giving me proper directions. Lol. For me I think it's pretty funny that my wife is giving me a hand signals and I tell her can you see me in the mirror? if you can't see me, I can't see you. So having audio is great. For me I think it's very beneficial but I also think for the price that we all pay for these trailers they should come with your purchase. See my photo's in my profile. Hope this helps happy camping and good luck with your new trailer
Bcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by icr21801 View Post
Looking at the replies you have, I think your questions have been answered so I won’t flog a dead horse, the only thing I’d emphasize as others have, is to get the always on model and NOT to think of it as a backup camera but an observation camera that may provide situational awareness...like when you have some idiot ride your bumper where your mirrors are no help.

This isn’t directed at you, just adding a general comment/observation. It’s always amazed me that people who may have never towed, or towed nothing bigger than a garden utility trailer, can drive off of an RV dealers lot with 40Ft and #14,000 plus of 5th wheel behind them. Add to that, RV dealers that sell oversized rigs to customers with TV’s that are nowhere near capable of controlling the trailer that will be pushing them all over the highway...instead they offer sage advice such as, ”get yourself some air-bags, you’ll be fine”.

Have you ever known anyone to hook up and test-tow a new TT or 5th wheel? The dealers don’t care, if they did, they’d have an area with a few traffic cones set up for new customers to drive through and back in and out of before they send them on their way.

While a bit long winded, my point is that while observation or backup cameras may be helpful at times, they are no substitute for competence. I fully agree that it’s preferable to have a spotter whenever possible, but for the times that we don’t, we all should be able to back into parking spaces or RV sites, near-side or blind-side, comfortably to avoid damage to our own equipment as well as others around us.

I’m quoting this from an article I read but I think it’s spot on.

Any new owners out there that just bought or are are ready to buy their first sizable rig and are a little nervous or apprehensive about maneuvering? Find an empty parking lot, take a few items to use as markers and practice...then practice some more.

Any new owners out there that just bought or are ready to buy their first sizable rig and are not at all nervous because they can drive anything on wheels? Let us know where you’re heading...so we can go in the opposite direction!
Interesting observations...I agree with pretty much all of this. When I bought my first tt I had never towed anything that large, though I had towed many 14-16' trailers, and had never really tried to back up a trailer. I was terrible. It took me 45 minutes just to back it into a space, with lots of cursing....I'm surprised my wife didn't divorce me over it.

I have had a lot of great replies, and I appreciate them. The reason I wondered about it is because I CAN back up a trailer with relative ease now and I wasn't sure if it was worth the expense because of that. I decided to go ahead and add it anyway. I feel that the MOST benefit I'll get is being able to see my wife, or other spotter, as I back it in. She still has the tendency to position herself where I can't see her. LOL
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #32

Good luck the Jayco rv has a back up camera and all it is good for is looking at the rear bumper, that's if they ever fix it in service. I will be buying a separate one next year that actually shows something and mounting it on the rear. Camping world is still working on it, they have had it more then I have.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Good luck the Jayco rv has a back up camera and all it is good for is looking at the rear bumper, that's if they ever fix it in service. I will be buying a separate one next year that actually shows something and mounting it on the rear. Camping world is still working on it, they have had it more then I have.
The one I added was originally pointed straight down at the bumper, it was easily fixed by simply adjusting it up.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #34

Dan

I have Furrion 3 camera system. I love it. Use it to back up, but it’s great while driving. I leave it so I see if people are behind me while riding and changing lanes. Yes it just plugs into prewire for the back. The two side cameras I had to install by swiping them with the running/directional Lights. very easy. Once you plug in your seven way it provides power to a monitor in truck that’s plugged into lighter socket. Very easy setup. The folks at Furrion are polite and helpful. One hint is if u do the installation n u are all done n go on truck n it’s not workong then switch lights from auto to on. Just the parking light not headlights. It has to do with power. Highly recommend
Dannye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:01 AM   #35

I installed an I Strong wireless camera and it is the very best investment I have made. I see everything behind me for lane change, backing up, etc. The picture quality is outstanding. It came with two cameras so I can do a split screen if I want to. Have not installed the second camera yet, don't know that I need it.
I will never tow another trailer without a camera.
First Time Owner is offline   Reply With Quote