Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2019, 05:14 AM   #1

Are Backup Cameras Worth It?

I am taking delivery of my 2020 Jayco Eagle 332 CBOK this afternoon. I love the trailer, and it has a bunch of wonderful options. It does come prewired for a backup camera, but I have some questions.

1. Are the cameras beneficial, and how?
2. With prewiring do you simply plug it in?
3. Since it is a towable trailer, how does it connect to the screen to view?
4. Can it be used while driving for changing lanes?

I have a backup camera on my tv already, but I think this would make it even better when backing into a spot by myself, or even changing lanes if it can be used while driving. I apologize if these questions have already been asked in a different thread. I saw a couple of threads regarding cameras, but didn't see my questions answered.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #2

Are bcak-up cameras worth it?

First lets answer your questions:

1. Are the cameras beneficial, and how? - Depends on What your expectations are
.2. With prewiring do you simply plug it in? NO, you may have to splice in to the marker light wiring.
3. Since it is a towable trailer, how does it connect to the screen to view? You will have to purchase a camera & a monitor most likely.
4. Can it be used while driving for changing lanes? YES.

I like my camera because it shows what near the back of the trailer. This is great for help in changing lanes in traffic. It also shows what is directly behind you that your mirrors may not see!

I wish mine had a larger angle of view - If I can see my trailer bumper I can't see far enough behind me to be of any value. I still depend on my wife to be my eyes at when backing into a spot.

I do like the peace of mind that I can always know what is close behind me and off my trailer corners. It really does help when changing lanes!!!

I only have $250 invested and for that amount I am pretty happy with how it works.

Happy Camping & safe travels!!
mnaquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:55 AM   #3

1. Are the cameras beneficial, and how?

I love mine, nothing like keeping an eye on what's happening back there, and it is a big help when backing into spots. It's somewhat beneficial when changing lanes. With my Furrion, multiple settings to angle the camera the way you want it, I can see the back bumper/spare tire and about 50 to 75 feet back....like to have the bumper in view as a reference point, plenty of area IMO.

2. With prewiring do you simply plug it in?

Prewire could be two possibilities, if you have the Furrion housing attached to the back, it's simply plug and play, make sure you buy the proper camera set up, the model information to purchase is on the sticker attached to the housing. The other possible prewire could be a power wire attached to the pigtail behind the center marker light, then simply tap that wire for power and the ground wire leading to the marker light to get 12v power to your camera. Your model should have the housing in place, also should be a switch inside our unit to turn it on and off, when powered by your unit it can also be used as an observation camera while camped, just have to bring the monitor from the truck into the trailer.

3. Since it is a towable trailer, how does it connect to the screen to view?

The Furrion camera comes with a monitor, they connect via WIFI (they create their own little WIFI network), the camera has a small antenna and so does the monitor, simple to connect, simple to use, they work great!!!

4. Can it be used while driving for changing lanes?

You can, but the fisheye lens on the camera (fisheye gives a broader field of view) somewhat distorts the outer edges of the view......still beneficial to changing lanes but nothing beats your mirrors.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #4

Invaluable!

Last year I installed the Furrion Observation camera. Thats the one that is always on and also has a faster refresh time with less lag.

After using it for a year I absolutely find it to be invaluable. It's enabled me to back tight up against the garage without worrying about
spotter-panic" that used to cause me to stop 2-3x to visually inspect the distance.

More importantly, I've been able to back into several campsites without a spotter when I camped without the DW. In another case we arrived at our site jusdt as a severe thunderstorm with torrential rain hit. Rather than block the CG road, I had the DW fixed on her side mirror while I blind-side backed the camper into the site. The camera was able to show enough detail that I could tell where the edges of the pad were, and also the pedestal long before I would have hit it.

I also use it when blind-side backing into my driveway. That allows my spotter to worry about other things like proximity of the granite curbs and little things like my neighbors house which sits 3 feet off the driveway.

I did not have the cameras on my last 2 TT's, but the FW is longer so it was a must. I am glad I did. I also wish I had one onthe other campers as backing would have been much less stressful.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #5

Backup Camera

I installed a camera before my first trip and would feel blind without it. In my case it is not a backup camera in that it is on all the time. It is more of a rearview camera. Prewired means that Jayco left a spare power wire behind the top center running light on the rear of the TT. I used a wireless one at first and it worked ok, but would sometimes lose connection for 10-30 seconds while driving down the road. When that camera died I replaced it with a wired camera which was a lot of work to run the wires and install another quick connect between the trailer and the truck but I love the clarity and reliability of the picture. I have an additional monitor screen in my truck that is always displaying the rear camera. I have a 2017 Ford F-250 TV and it has an option to tie the rear camera into the dash screen but it would only work when the truck is in reverse. It is very helpful when backing up and I like being able to see behind me. To me it is a good value. If you want more detail on which camera etc, send me a message.
dartwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #6

I didn’t think I’d care one way or another for the camera, but I really like it. For backing it’s ok. I’ve not really used it for backing into a site. Too many variables that cannot be seen from the camera. It’s good though in parking lots, or my storage area. Where I really like it is in traffic. No more guessing on lane changes. Standard SOP for me now is to connect it anytime I’m hooked up. Been reliable so far. Had it cut out once for a few seconds, but just the one time. Honestly I’m surprised it works as the camera is a long ways from the screen.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I didn’t think I’d care one way or another for the camera, but I really like it. For backing it’s ok. I’ve not really used it for backing into a site. Too many variables that cannot be seen from the camera. It’s good though in parking lots, or my storage area. Where I really like it is in traffic. No more guessing on lane changes. Standard SOP for me now is to connect it anytime I’m hooked up. Been reliable so far. Had it cut out once for a few seconds, but just the one time. Honestly I’m surprised it works as the camera is a long ways from the screen.
I agree than some hazards can't be seen from the camera, for example anything higher than it's mounting point. However, the first thing everyone should do when they pull up, before they back in.......is get out and do a general site survey first to identify any issues to steer clear of.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #8

I have one and seldom use it. I have been backing trailers for 30+ years and thought the camera would make the process easier, for me, it didn't. I still do a physical walk-around, then just back in. Making lane changes with or without the camera still requires a visual situational awareness of what's around you, I didn't find the camera that much more helpful. I know I'm an exception, but, the biggest benefit seems to be, being able to see your towed vehicle on a motor coach, to see if it's still there LOL
Old 09-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one it works pretty good with my old samsung tablet. sometimes it cuts out under power lines.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #10

I have one that connects through my Garmin GPS (your screen switches between GPS and backup camera). I would not recommend it. Image is jerky, making it not very useful for monitoring traffic around you. It often briefly loses its wireless connection, and when it reconnects it overrides the GPS, so I have to constantly switch it manually back to GPS. I've added a manual switch between the camera and its power, so now I turn it on manually when I want it for backing, which is generally only when it's a dicey spot and my wife isn't with me (first is common for us, second is not).

I wish instead I had a separate camera, on all the time. I'll probably change it out some day.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #11

I only use the camera for the last few feet into the camping stall just to make sure I’m where I want to be.

I did have one occasion where I got blocked in a gas station and had to back out where everyone was coming in and out of the store. Made it nice because I could see if someone was going to walk behind my rig, or see if any cars were backing out.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #12

My Newer Furrion Camera also has Microphone to hear your spotter from the 7 inch LCD display real handy ...
ShortCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #13

I guess the best answer is back up cameras are always a good thing. You may not use it as much as you thought, but when you do, you’ll say glad I had it.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #14

I use our Furrion camera while driving as much as I do while backing.

It really helps with lane changes when jackasses like to run up on you and whip out into the left lane to pass at the last second.

It's my second rear view mirror

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #15

Absolutely must have. Not for changing lanes.
Chrisogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #16

Love ours. We got the Furrion observation camera as that is what Jayco pre-wired for. It pairs wirelessly with the screen in the truck cab. Our Seismic is 45' long and the connection is solid. If you didn't get the installation sheet with your trailer, see this post https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...all-70680.html
The pre-wire installation took me less than 15 minutes. 4 screws and one plug. Jayco pre-wires power to the camera from the running lights so as long as your running lights are on, the camera is getting power.
Spadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #17

I’ve been towing for less than a year and we’ve gone across the country. To be honest I’ve found the observation/ back-up camera to be an expense I could have gone without. I always triple check mirrors when changing lanes. It’s nice to see what’s behind you but I stick to the left lane on highways and interstates so I don’t worry about blocking traffic up too much.
Goat1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #18

We have a "Voyageur" wireless rear camera on on 2.8. RSTS. It goes to the 7 inch monitor, and hookup was easy, and it rarely blacks out when driving. It is wide angle so that I can see others in the other lane easily, however even with the 7 inch monitor the wide angle makes cars behind us seem only like small specs until they're nearly too close to switch lanes in front of. I can't imagine it having any value for rear traffic if trying to monitor it on a phone screen. When backing in to sites it does help to see stuff directly behind you, but is a bit disorienting trying to figure out your angle, or L-R stuff. Would I get a trailer without one? No. Do I use it as much as I thought when on the road? Probably not. I was thinking about that today on a 400 mile trip, and realized that for traffic monitoring, I found myself using the mirrors 90 % of the time.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #19

We have the observation camera it was and is worth it to me I can see who coming up on my hinds side..
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #20

I always intended to add in the BC-30 camera to our Garmin RV 660LMT when we had our 195RB. Never got around to it due to the narrower width of that camper I had no issues keeping track of what was behind me. With the bigger ORV we had a Furrion Observation camera installed and I absolutely wouldn't be without it on the larger trailer. I don't rely on it for lane changes but I do like it in town so I can tell when somebody has pulled right up to the trailer bumper and I'm likely not able to see them in the mirrors. It's also quite helpful when backing up into a campsite or beside the house. For lane changes I rely on the tow mirrors and the Blind Spot Info System, which on the Fords does cover both truck and trailer out to about 30 feet.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote