Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

Are my batteries toast?

I took my trailer out of storage on May 20th. When I put it away in the fall, I brought the batteries (twin 6V golf cart batteries) home and charged them once every month or so over winter, and stored them in my garage (which is warm).

I didn't get a full charge in them on May 20th - trailer wasn't plugged in for more than an hour or two while I washed it up and de-winterized. I put it away that day, and took it back out this past Saturday, July 2nd.

They were pretty much dead when I hitched up. Could barely run the tongue jack. I took over manually, towed home (30 min) and plugged in for 4 hours. I moved it again to my summer spot, and after a night of not being plugged in, it could barely operate the tongue jack again the next day.

I have it plugged in now but I am wondering if they are pooched. Batteries should have been relatively fresh when I got it in May.

The guy I bought the TT from didn't remove them over winter and they sat dormant every fall/winter. The TT is a 2013, and the batteries came with it (bought summer 2013), so they are three years old.

Could they be done this early? What should I expect to spend on new ones?
Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

Have you checked the water in the Batteries? Never use tap water only distilled. Usually under a buck at Wal-mart. Have you tried using the jack with the trailer plugged into the tow vehicle? There are many phantom loads in an RV that will kill a battery in a week or so.. always pull the fuse at the battery bank or disconnect the black (hot) wire.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #3

Put what you believe to be a full charge on them then take them to your local auto parts store (Napa, Autozone, etc.) They will run a diagnostic on them for free and let you know their condition

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #4

Storing them on concrete will kill batteries so i am told
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsafetya View Post
I took my trailer out of storage on May 20th. When I put it away in the fall, I brought the batteries (twin 6V golf cart batteries) home and charged them once every month or so over winter, and stored them in my garage (which is warm).

I didn't get a full charge in them on May 20th - trailer wasn't plugged in for more than an hour or two while I washed it up and de-winterized. I put it away that day, and took it back out this past Saturday, July 2nd.

They were pretty much dead when I hitched up. Could barely run the tongue jack. I took over manually, towed home (30 min) and plugged in for 4 hours. I moved it again to my summer spot, and after a night of not being plugged in, it could barely operate the tongue jack again the next day.

I have it plugged in now but I am wondering if they are pooched. Batteries should have been relatively fresh when I got it in May.

The guy I bought the TT from didn't remove them over winter and they sat dormant every fall/winter. The TT is a 2013, and the batteries came with it (bought summer 2013), so they are three years old.

Could they be done this early? What should I expect to spend on new ones?

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowsfamily View Post
Totally debunked myth. Way back when battery cases were rubber, it was believed that concrete would speed up the drying-out (elastomer breakdown) process of the rubber.

Modern (1960's and later) plastic cases don't have that problem.

Not leaving batteries on a trickle/maintenance charger and not checking the water level every month or so, is what I consider abusing the batteries.

To the OP:
Your batteries may not be completely destroyed. But a steady 3 years of abuse has certainly impacted their capacity.

If you don't want the CO detector going off at 3:00AM, consider replacing them if they show any noticeable loss of capacity.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
This was true back in the 40's and early 50's when batteries had a rubber case, now with the plastic cases there are no issues. Below is a section on STORAGE from the Trojan website.

Battery Maintenance | Trojan Battery Company

Don
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - Storing on Concrete.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #7

For what it is worth I check the water about every two weeks it only takes a few minutes. As for charging 4 hours for a low battery is not a enough time to replenish the voltage. I would slow charge for at least 24hrs before reinstalling.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

It's possible that your converter isn't working correctly and might not be charging the batteries. Check the voltage at the batteries when plugged in to shore power- it should be 13.5 to 14.4 VDC.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:

Have not heard that before, thanks!

I keep them on a thick carpet tile with a rubber base. I think this would have provided a good layer of insulation against the ground. It is 18"x18" so both fit on it fine.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #10

Sounds like you never really got a full charge on them then you let them discharge from the parasitic loads in the trailer. I doubt they are toast but it's always a good idea to leave batteries on charge long enough to get a full charge. Assuming you have a good automatic charger there's no reason you can't leave them on charge all winter.

I've had 6 VDC batteries in my off grid home that have been on charge for 8 years with no problem.

I'd check the date codes to verify the battery ages too.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #11

If you get those 6v really low sometime it takes a act of god to get them charged back again especially two in series / parallel. I usually charge them individually using a low amperage charger.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote