Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #1

Are sway bars mandatory?

Do you use sway bars every time you go out? I don't use them on short trips and good weather.

Am I crazy? LOL.
N Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #2

It really depends on the setup. A large (heavy) tow vehicle with a long wheelbase rarely would need a sway bar (for most TT's), however a smaller tow vehicle may need one for the same trailer. Also the trailer loading (heavier in the front) will help reduce sway.

My thought is if you already have sway bars (as you stated that you do), then I would go ahead and use them all of the time (except maybe when trying to maneuver in tight quarters with a lot of sharp turning involved). ~CA
Old 03-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #3

My Andersen hitch has sway built in.

But I rented a flatbed trailer to pick up some construction items a few years ago. Let the guys load it for me and thought nothing of it.

Until I hit a downhill stop light a mile from Menards and the trailer went into a massive sway even and we ended up in the ditch waiting for a tow.

So yes, if you have sway bars, use them. Never know when you will need them in an emergency.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #4

I pull a 38 foot 10K pound trailer with a 1 ton truck and won't travel down the street without them. Not only are they my sway bars but they are also the integral part of my WDH. That's just my opinion but I feel much more comfortable towing with them connected.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #5

Why wouldn't you? It's cheap insurance. You don't know what you don't know, in other words, it happens when you'd least expect it.

Some years back with a previous trailer, a 17ft hybrid trailer, we were returning from a short trip. Just about 2 hours one way. It was not windy, but it was light rain. We were only doing about 50 mph. We were almost home and the truck's back wheels hit a slick spot. The entire back end of the truck slid to the left. The trailer started to sway violently. It was the scariest 10 seconds I can ever recall. It felt like 10 minutes. I've always believed that without the sway control we would have lost the trailer.

It's why getting a WDH with built in sway control is the way to go.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:25 AM   #6

I always use one, if for no reason other than passing trucks.
If a windy day, I add a second one.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:54 AM   #7

Mandatory legally? Probably not.

Mandatory by experience? Probably.

When you've experienced sway, you want to be rid of it. As another poster said, it is cheap insurance. I'm a ProPride ambassador, and that is something ProPride owners and other hitch owners can agree on.

I've got an old (2000) 24' snowmobile trailer that I have moved twice in 7 years. It's heavy... Loaded with tools. I noticed chain hangars before hitching up last time. I've got a Reese Dual Cam lying around unused, so I used the weight distribution part to move it. Couldn't install the cams due to weather. Trailer felt more secure even with some weight distribution forward (though I didn't scale the combo, and might have been under distributed). Either way, glad I did. Needs brake kits and drums, but that's another story and expense for a trailer that has about 50 miles usage in 7 years.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:34 AM   #8

I always use mine. Even when I went and got new tires 1.5 miles from home.

Our current combo is incredibly stable, even on windy days. Many years ago, first trip of the season, we went to a park about 100 miles from home. On the way home, every car passing us was just pushing us all over the road. It was true white knuckle driving. While on the road I had no clue why. When we got home, I found every TT tire was about 45 psi (hot pressure). Recommended cold tire pressure is 55 psi. I could not imagine how bad things could have gotten without the sway bars. I now ALWAYS check my tire pressures before hitting the road.

They are so easy to put on, no tools are required. Just lift the tongue, and slide them on to the brackets, and pin them in. Probably takes 2 extra minutes. I could not image why you would not use them.

I have to admit, Most cargo trailers I see on the road do not use a WHD, and I always question why not use them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:36 AM   #9

I use them on all trips, just a much better towing experience. Only takes 10 minutes to install them. I use two.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #10

The only time I do not use them is when I get the trailer from the storage facility. It's about three-quarters of a mile away and I never get over 25mph.

You bought the equipment, why not use it? You don't need it until you really need it. Then you and everyone around you wishes you had it.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Saban View Post
Do you use sway bars every time you go out? I don't use them on short trips and good weather..........snip
I do...., proper weight distribution insures optimum TV towing control at all times no matter the distance/weather.

I assume by "sway bars" you are referring to the two standard WDH 'spring bars'.

Bob

Note, not all brand WDH's with spring bars function as integrated sway control.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:30 PM   #12

Sway bar:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sway bar.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	79795
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I pull a 38 foot 10K pound trailer with a 1 ton truck and won't travel down the street without them. Not only are they my sway bars but they are also the integral part of my WDH. That's just my opinion but I feel much more comfortable towing with them connected.

I would agree with this, you didn't tell us your setup.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

I have to admit, Most cargo trailers I see on the road do not use a WHD, and I always question why not use them.
Same, but I hardly ever see cargo trailers swaying, except for the U-Haul variety. They do frequently.

Mine is so heavy that I figure it is a needed measure of safety. Since it is a V-nose trailer, I didn't notice the chain hangers the first two times I towed it. But this last time I was looking at the tongue to see if I could hitch up the Reese dual cam and I found the existing spring hangers. They are not the snap up kind. They are the kind that you slip a link through a slot and it holds it. Hopefully.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:30 AM   #15

If by "sway bars" you are referring to the 2 weight distribution hitch bars, then yes, I use them EVERY time I go on the road. My tongue weight would exceed the weight rating on my vehicle's receiver hitch if I did not.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:39 AM   #16

I am not sure if absolutely needed and like you stated on short trips depending on your tow vehicle. But if you have it, use it. I have a Recurve 6 WDH and use it even for a 8 mile trip to our local campground.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #17

In a perfect world you shouldn't need a WDH. Unfortunitely RV manufactures don't build TT's with proper axle to coupler spacing and dry tongue weights are on the low side. Couple that with a big barn rolling down the road at 55-70 mph and you have a problem waithing to happen.
The only way I wouldn't use a WDH is if my truck which is a CC LB 3500 was towing a short 25' 6,000lb loaded weight TT. Right now I tow a 31' 9600lb TT and even with my 3500 I need WDH.
However if I were just hopping across town to a dealer or storage lot or even 20 miles out of town I wouldn't mess with it.
It's really a matter of how your TT pulls without it. Mines a little loose feeling so I feel more comfortable with it.
FWIW I once had an F150 and towed a 22' 4050lb loaded weight TT and had a standard EAZ-Lift WDH with one of those friction bar addons. On one trip I stopped on the way home and the friction bar was dangling by one connection. I never even knew it came unconnected and didn't notice any difference the rest of the way home.
That TT had the axles more towards the rear like a boat trailer and that gave it a lot more stability.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #18

Pulling 30ft TT, 7000 pounds with RAM 2500
N Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:37 AM   #19

I own a Jayco Hummingbird 17 ft trailer which I tow with a 2007 dodge 2500 diesel. When I'm towing I can't even tell it's back there. Typically I have a sway bar similar to what garywilson showed above. On one trip I didn't use it. I couldn't tell the difference on my end. However my brother in law was following me and said he could tell a significant difference in the amount of sway in the trailer. I think if you have it go ahead and use it. It's just safer.

Jim
Old 03-20-2022, 09:24 PM   #20

Sway bars… yes I always connect mine it’s an easy 15sec
Ganderdodge is offline   Reply With Quote