Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #1

Are there better locks to install on outside storage doors?

We just became victims sometime this week. Someone popped all 4 locks on the storage doors of our 2020 JayFeather 22RB while it was parked in storage. It really sucks to be a victim and I don’t want it to happen again. Is there a better lock to install? Looks like they easily popped each lock by prying with a screwdriver doing damage to the metal lip, but the fiberglass appears ok. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.
Hatchet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:24 PM   #2

You could buy better locks at a place like rvlock.com, and install some steel against the aluminum. It doesn’t negate the fact that a hammer would get you through the fiberglass panel rather quickly.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:02 AM   #3

No locks are going to stand up to a hammer or crowbar!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #4

That stinks Hatchet Man. I briefly looked at lock solutions, but most of them did not address the weekness of the RV door issue. It will be interesting to see suggestions.

I am curious, was it in a private Storage facility? Were others RVs broken in to?
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #5

I am happy with the stock locks. It will keep the 10 year old kid out and will notrequire the determined thief to destroy your door in order to steal your stuff. I know a lot of folks are big on strong locks but I find the less damage, the better. A real accomplished a thief is not going to be deterred by a lock.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I am happy with the stock locks. It will keep the 10 year old kid out and will notrequire the determined thief to destroy your door in order to steal your stuff. I know a lot of folks are big on strong locks but I find the less damage, the better. A real accomplished a thief is not going to be deterred by a lock.
X2, reinforce the door and lock, then you have lot to rebuild when they try next time.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #7

There's three issues when dealing with this problem. Most obvious is whether the storage place insurance is liable for repair costs v your insurance. I agree with the others who feel that making it more difficult isn't really a solution unless there are security cameras, twenty four hour attendants etc. to add to your feelgood. The third: don't leave anything of value inside the compartments that isn't bolted down. The loss of a WD hitch with anti sway can really put a pinch in getting ready for a trip. Same goes for TV's and BluRay players etc.....we pull those and store them elsewhere.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #8

Sorry to hear about your luck. I too park mine in a storage facility and that is always a concern. One thing for sure, locks only keep the honest people out. If someone wants in, they will.
Hope you get it all sorted out.

2016 Jay Flight 26BH
Solar and all the Furrion crap replaced with good stuff.
2014 F150 screw 5.0
Equalizer 4 point hitch
Loving life in Ontario, Canada.
Peter Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet Man View Post
We just became victims sometime this week. Someone popped all 4 locks on the storage doors of our 2020 JayFeather 22RB while it was parked in storage. It really sucks to be a victim and I don’t want it to happen again. Is there a better lock to install? Looks like they easily popped each lock by prying with a screwdriver doing damage to the metal lip, but the fiberglass appears ok. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.
I'm sorry to hear you were broken into. I know how it makes you feel violated, and angry. By the sounds of how they popped the locks, they've probably done that before, and are proficient at it. I hope you get compensated, at the least.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote