Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

areospace 303 for tt roof?

Bought a bottle to do rubber around the windows since it has great uv protection. I was reading the bottle and it says it is great for rv epdm rubber roofs. Has anyone ever tried it? Gallons are fairly cheap on amazon. I am considering trying it on the rubber around the windows, maybe the awning, tires, and the roof. Your thoughts appreciated.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Team

I have used it. I think it helps but be careful, it makes the roof slick as owl snot!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #3

No personal experience but I've read that owl snot is indeed slick stuff.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #4

Not that anyone asked...
EPDM roofing material is designed for the purpose often with 25 and 50 year life spans for the actual membrane being mentioned. Most manufacturers I've checked on indicate that coatings are not required. On TT's periodic inspection and touch up with proper sealant for questionable areas is recommended.

Be very careful with what you choose to coat an EPDM roof with. Some compounds can deteriorate the material over time. Some compounds may interfere with proper adhesion for future repairs.

The are many aftermarket coating marketing pitches which will tell you their products are necessary. Personally I wouldn't use any coatings on an EPDM roof unless specifically recommended and approved by the material manufacturer. The above particularly applies to ANY coating which contains silicone.

Contrary to aftermarket coatings hype I also do not use coating/protectant on my Hypalon inflatable rubber boats because the material manufacturers recommend no coatings.

6. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BLACK EPDM AND WHITE EPDM MEMBRANE?

In addition to the oils and the polymers used to make an EPDM membrane, another ingredient is added to the mix to enhance UV resistance. In the case of a black membrane, carbon black is added, which converts UV rays into heat. With white membrane, in lieu of carbon black, titanium dioxide is typically used to reflect UV rays and prevent it from attacking the polymer.

8. DOES EPDM REQUIRE SYSTEMATIC MAINTENANCE OR ADDITIONAL COATINGS OR TREATMENT TO ACHIEVE ITS LIFE EXPECTANCY?

No. No special coating or other surface treatment is required. General maintenance in the form of good housekeeping should periodically be performed to remove debris and leaves, and to investigate the performance of other components.

12. WHAT IS THE EXPECTED LONGEVITY OF EPDM MEMBRANE?

With many EPDM installations exceeding 40 years of exposure in the field under various climatic conditions, none of the material tested has shown alarming signs of degradation. Even though it would be difficult to predict, studies have shown aged EPDM membrane as having a potential life expectancy of 50 years.

13. CAN EPDM BE COATED OR PAINTED?

Acrylic coatings are available that can be applied directly to a prepared EPDM surface. Preparation usually consists of cleaning the EPDM with a pressure washer and a detergent solution or wash. Latex-based paint products can also be used, however, the EPDM manufacturer should be contacted prior to application to ensure compatibility and continuation of warranty coverage.

http://www.epdmroofs.org/what-is-epd...questions#does

My opinion and worth everything you'll never pay for it.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #5

Thanks for the info VicS1950...
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

I considered using it on Alpha ply, but I decided against it. Like Vic said, the manufacturer specifically says not to use anything on their membrane
Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

I never did anything but clean the roof with Oxyclean on my old trailer. Had it for 10 years and the roof looked like new.

I'm following the same procedure with my X20E.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
snip.....I am considering trying it on the rubber around the windows, maybe the awning, tires, and the roof. Your thoughts appreciated.
I've used Aerospace 303 for years with great results.

I haven't used any type of protectant/sealer on any of my RV EPDM or TPO roofing, and don't see a need to (live in mid-west). If I lived in the western/southern states I might consider looking more into it.

I use '303' on my TT slide seals, and all door/window/storage rubber gaskets. I've also used it on my TT's Filon outside wall surface, and my original decals are still in great condition. My TV's tonneau cover still looks great after 12 years...., used '303' on it since it was new.

Great stuff

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote