Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

At a TOTAL LOSS?!?! - Water issue

Happy New Year everyone!

I have a 2018 26BH that I purchased back in April 20'. Upon getting it to my house the first ime, I totally drained the freshwater tanks via the low point drains and then decided to add a FEW GALLONS back into the tank for emergency/flushing/etc. This past Friday prior to departing for our weekend camping trip, I opted to drain both tanks again only to be completely surprised by it taking well over 20 minutes to drain. I did some quick time/rate calculations and I had over 35 gallons in the freshwater tanks.

Upon getting the trailer back into the yard this afternoon from our weekend camping trip, I opened the low point drains to confirm they are still EMPTY, only to find MORE WATER had entered the tanks.

Is it possible to have a bad check valve is allowing city water to somehow enter the holding tanks??? I'm at a complete loss and while it's not a huge issue, I'd rather not carry the excess weight around of having to much water in the tanks.

Any possible ideas or theories??

Thanks in advance.

~Jason
Jb35sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #2

By draining the low point drains do you mean the one for the hot and cold water or the one for the fresh water storage tank? I would think the regular low point drains would only drain the plumbing system water out and not the tank itself, at least that is the way it is on our camper. You would have to open the drain for the fresh water tank to drain that out. Otherwise I have read on the forums that it is possible for the check valve to not close completely and it causes water to enter the tank.
rccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #3

It does happen.

Do you have a control panel to switch between filling the FW tank, and city water? Or do you have a gravity fill port?

If you have a gravity fill port, you could have a bad check valve at the pump. One test you could do, is flip pump's the winterizing valve over to winterizing, and place a bucket under the pickup, and have the TT, connected to city water, and monitor the tube/bucket. If the pump's check valve is bad, it will back the water up the winterizing tube, verses down into the FW tank(s).

If you have a central control panel, this could be more challenging to diagnose. First did someone (accidentally or on purpose), fill your FW tank, while being connected to city water?? If not, you may have a leak in the system somewhere. Could be at the pump? or even a bad valve at the control panel.

FYI, my FW tank never completely empties. I always leave my drain port open when I drain the tank. Mostly because I forget to go back an close it. There is nothing wrong with leaving the FW tank's low point drain open. Your FW tank's overflow is open to atmosphere, so unless someone placed shutoff valves on them (sometimes people do), if the tank fills, it will just drain. Does not help with hauling around a lot of extra weight.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #4

Thanks guys! Yes it's the freshwater tank drains that I'm referring to....

That sounds like a good test I could perform to isolate the issue. The other workaround is just leave the valves cracks so water doesn't accumulate

Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #5

If it is the check valve at the pump, it might be an easy fix. Run the pump, cycle it on/off, if there is a little debris in the valve it my clear. If that does not fix it. Remove the pump, open it and clean it. This could be more challenging as the pumps often are buried.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Team

There have been some folks having their fresh water tank fill while on city water. There's a check valve in the water pump head that can stick if the pump hasn't been used in a while, and let water back flow into the tank. Sometimes running the pump for a bit will straighten things out and get the check valve sealing again. Something to keep in mind if it continues. Let us know if it clears up.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #7

Gotcha! Makes total sense....

I'll add some water back into the tank....run the pump for a while and see if the problem goes away on it's own....otherwise I may opt to get more aggressive with it....

Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #8
CAG

I don't think that Jayco uses Anderson Valves but those were a problem for Heartland for a time. The O-rings in the selector goes bad and allows water to fill the fresh water tank.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #9

If you hook up city water to your trailer and your holding tank starts to fill and overflow the check valve is leaking backwards through your water pump. Exact same thing happened to me.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #10

It is the check valve in the pump itself.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #11

you can buy rebuild kits for the WP on Amazon. Low point drains will not empty the FW tank.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #12

I had the same issue with my TT! It was the fresh water pump check valve stuck open. Do not use the freshwater pump and city water at the same time! That will force the check valve open and fill the freshwater tank!
Old 01-23-2021, 04:58 PM   #13

We bought a Jayco 21QB 2019 and the water pump valve would let water into our freshwater tanks when we were in a campground with full services. The dealer replaced the pump and the problem was solved.
Polariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #14

My 2018 Jayco has a low point drain on the Freshwater tank.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
My 2018 Jayco has a low point drain on the Freshwater tank.
That is not called a low point drain. That is the fresh water tank drain. You also have a freshwater overflow/vent line. But you do have 2 low point drains somewhere. One for the hot water pipes and one for the cold water pipes. 1 blue and 1 red.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
That is not called a low point drain. That is the fresh water tank drain. You also have a freshwater overflow/vent line. But you do have 2 low point drains somewhere. One for the hot water pipes and one for the cold water pipes. 1 blue and 1 red.

Cavie is correct in what he said. I used to have a 26BH. There is a water tank drain and low point drain for the water lines. They are different drains!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #17
Site Team

I can't speak for other manufacturers, but Jayco clearly labels both the fresh water tank drain and the low point drains as "Low Point Drain". So, it is very easy for owners to be confused as to what they are looking for. I've attached pics of my 2017 where you will see how Jayco labels their units.
Attached Thumbnails
20210125_073852.jpg   20210125_073902.jpg   20210125_073914.jpg  
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #18
Site Team

RV's can have a various number of low point drains. Jayco places a sticker on the outside near the exit pipe. Even the fresh water drain is id'd as a LP drain.

Some travel trailers even have a LP drain that drains the water heater so you have to be familiar with how your rig is plumbed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote