Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #1

Atwood furnace problem

So when I turn on the furnace to either auto or on the furnace blows air for a minute then shuts completely off. There’s no sound of a burner kicking on or clicking. A year or so ago I switched out the old slider controll for a digital one, but I was very careful with the wires and it worked for a year no prob. I’ve tried a hard start on the board, but I haven’t checked individual fuses. The air con works fine and there is gas coming to stove and fridge.

I’m scared to look inside furnace.the way it’s installed it doesn’t look very service friendly like the water heater for example.
Anybody have similar stories?

Thx
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

Its possible the electronic ignition may be the problem. Maybe the circuit board. The first thing that happens is the fan runs, then the ignition starts sparking when the gas pilot opens. if the burner doesn't light due to no gas or ignition doesn't create the spark to light it, then it shuts the gas valve and stops running. Safety feature. If like you say you don't hear the spark clicking then it could be the board.

Which model of furnace is it?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #3

8520-IV-dclp L/D is what sticker reads.

I’m scared of the circuit board. I’ve no idea what I’m doing there
Old 05-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #4

Take it to the dealer or call a mobile tech...if you don't know then don't try!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Yeah I’ll get a mobile tech guy on it. The dealer will weasel out of it as I changed the console plus they are 100 miles away and always backed up for months. Money well spent to the extended warranty-duh!
Old 05-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #6

If you are confident that its the board that isn't operating as it should, its more or less unplug one and plug in the new one. Problem is if your not sure then it can get expensive buying one part after another if you get the diagnosis wrong. Not really that much to them though.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

Take off the outside cover of the furnace (where the exhaust is). The four corner screws will remove the cover without disturbing the caulking. Have someone cycle the furnace on while you watch the fault led. After the furnace shuts down, you'll see the led make a series of blinks. The blink count points to the fault. A single blink with a 3 second pause will indicate an air flow problem which could be a blocked vent or a failed sail switch. The sail switch failed on my unit and that's the indication I had. It was just a matter of replacing the switch.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Take off the outside cover of the furnace (where the exhaust is). The four corner screws will remove the cover without disturbing the caulking. Have someone cycle the furnace on while you watch the fault led. After the furnace shuts down, you'll see the led make a series of blinks. The blink count points to the fault. A single blink with a 3 second pause will indicate an air flow problem which could be a blocked vent or a failed sail switch. The sail switch failed on my unit and that's the indication I had. It was just a matter of replacing the switch.
+1 . Same with mine.

2015 28.5 RSTS
2012 Ram 6.7L 2500 CCLWB
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Many late models don't have outside access door and service is only possible by removing the furnace. It is well worth the investment to install an outside access door. That way you can access service easy from the outside.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:21 AM   #10

I Have an 2017 Octane 222, i know its a toy hauler (different forum), I have the same problem. Fan runs for 1-2 seconds thats it, I did replace the analog t/stat with a digital, I Was going to do it anyways.
I had a the Hot Water Tank rupture/froze because of lack of winterizing (Dealers Incompetence), Furnace sits next to Hot Water tank, Im thinking now, Furnace got wet.
No way to prove it, the other cleve It is that it sits under the cabinet holding the Fridge.

I concur with Aljo about adding an outside access panel. Its hard to get anyone to come look at it, but I leaning toward the control board getting wet.
dwm650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
So when I turn on the furnace to either auto or on the furnace blows air for a minute then shuts completely off. There’s no sound of a burner kicking on or clicking. A year or so ago I switched out the old slider controll for a digital one, but I was very careful with the wires and it worked for a year no prob. I’ve tried a hard start on the board, but I haven’t checked individual fuses. The air con works fine and there is gas coming to stove and fridge.

I’m scared to look inside furnace.the way it’s installed it doesn’t look very service friendly like the water heater for example.
Anybody have similar stories?

Thx
So Ive got to ask, is your propane tank empty or not turned on.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #12

Could be a sail switch. The fan comes on, pushing the sail switch which allows the propane to flow and spark to ignite it. If not enough air movement, it would ignite. Could be dirt, bugs, etc. Or could be a board issue. If when washing the unit you allow water to get into the exhaust it can cause the board to short out. Don't shoot water from a hose or pressure washer into the exhaust.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Many late models don't have outside access door and service is only possible by removing the furnace. It is well worth the investment to install an outside access door. That way you can access service easy from the outside.
How many have had outside access doors cut in??? Can you give me a ball park figure as to what yours cost? I am seriously considering this as mine has had to be removed in the past and although a hole is cut in the basement wall, I still rather not have to remove it to service it. I will probably wait until the next problem and have it cut in then although it would probably be better to have it cut in before that happens!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #14

namusmc65: It used to be a standard in the manufacturing process, but in the last 8 years it seems all the doors are not installed anymore for whatever reason. Mine still has the access door, so it is very easy to service. You can remove the burner, fan, circuit-board, sail switch , high limit etc. This access-door is also waterproof.
If you want with trouble shooting temporary bypass the sail, or high limit to determine which is failing, it is easy todo.

For a year I had a TT without this door and for service you have to remove the furnace and either bench test or take the change in putting it back in with a change on removing it again. A costly process if the dealer has to service it. Wonder what the engineers are thinking in this RV industry. Can you imagine if you have to remove your home furnace for servicing?

Don't know what the cost would be, but an RV dealer or maybe online you'll can find out. Maybe Atwood has a store themselves. In the manual you can see which parts you need.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
If there's no outside access, I'm just curious where the furnace exhaust vent is located.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #16

hoppers4: The exhaust/burner air intake would be on the same place except with out a door.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Yes, My 2016 Jay Flight has no exterior access panel for the furnace. Only the exhaust sticks out. It must be accessed by removing a wooden louvered panel on the interior.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #18

When you remove the furnace and re-install it, be sure the exhaust tubing lines up properly otherwise it will not fully insert.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #19

Quote:
hoppers4: The exhaust/burner air intake would be on the same place except with out a door.
Interesting, thank you. That's an inconvenient corner to cut from a repair perspective. The design engineers obviously never gave a thought to repairs. My general motto is function before form.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #20

Had my furnace repaired, It was the control board. I had a mobile RV Tech come, cause was from when my hot water tank cracked from not being winterized. Even thou the dealer told me it was at delivery last August, I never ran water thru it till this spring thats how I fond a big leak right away.
Furnace sits 1 foot away from water heater, Electronics & water don't mix well
dwm650 is offline   Reply With Quote