Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #1

Atwood furnace problem

So when I turn on the furnace to either auto or on the furnace blows air for a minute then shuts completely off. Thereís no sound of a burner kicking on or clicking. A year or so ago I switched out the old slider controll for a digital one, but I was very careful with the wires and it worked for a year no prob. Iíve tried a hard start on the board, but I havenít checked individual fuses. The air con works fine and there is gas coming to stove and fridge.

Iím scared to look inside furnace.the way itís installed it doesnít look very service friendly like the water heater for example.
Anybody have similar stories?

Thx

doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

Its possible the electronic ignition may be the problem. Maybe the circuit board. The first thing that happens is the fan runs, then the ignition starts sparking when the gas pilot opens. if the burner doesn't light due to no gas or ignition doesn't create the spark to light it, then it shuts the gas valve and stops running. Safety feature. If like you say you don't hear the spark clicking then it could be the board.

Which model of furnace is it?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #3

8520-IV-dclp L/D is what sticker reads.

Iím scared of the circuit board. Iíve no idea what Iím doing there
Old 05-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #4

Take it to the dealer or call a mobile tech...if you don't know then don't try!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Yeah Iíll get a mobile tech guy on it. The dealer will weasel out of it as I changed the console plus they are 100 miles away and always backed up for months. Money well spent to the extended warranty-duh!
Old 05-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #6

If you are confident that its the board that isn't operating as it should, its more or less unplug one and plug in the new one. Problem is if your not sure then it can get expensive buying one part after another if you get the diagnosis wrong. Not really that much to them though.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

Take off the outside cover of the furnace (where the exhaust is). The four corner screws will remove the cover without disturbing the caulking. Have someone cycle the furnace on while you watch the fault led. After the furnace shuts down, you'll see the led make a series of blinks. The blink count points to the fault. A single blink with a 3 second pause will indicate an air flow problem which could be a blocked vent or a failed sail switch. The sail switch failed on my unit and that's the indication I had. It was just a matter of replacing the switch.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Take off the outside cover of the furnace (where the exhaust is). The four corner screws will remove the cover without disturbing the caulking. Have someone cycle the furnace on while you watch the fault led. After the furnace shuts down, you'll see the led make a series of blinks. The blink count points to the fault. A single blink with a 3 second pause will indicate an air flow problem which could be a blocked vent or a failed sail switch. The sail switch failed on my unit and that's the indication I had. It was just a matter of replacing the switch.
+1 . Same with mine.

2015 28.5 RSTS
2012 Ram 6.7L 2500 CCLWB
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Many late models don't have outside access door and service is only possible by removing the furnace. It is well worth the investment to install an outside access door. That way you can access service easy from the outside.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:21 AM   #10

I Have an 2017 Octane 222, i know its a toy hauler (different forum), I have the same problem. Fan runs for 1-2 seconds thats it, I did replace the analog t/stat with a digital, I Was going to do it anyways.
I had a the Hot Water Tank rupture/froze because of lack of winterizing (Dealers Incompetence), Furnace sits next to Hot Water tank, Im thinking now, Furnace got wet.
No way to prove it, the other cleve It is that it sits under the cabinet holding the Fridge.

I concur with Aljo about adding an outside access panel. Its hard to get anyone to come look at it, but I leaning toward the control board getting wet.

dwm650 is offline   Reply With Quote