Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #1

Atwood Nylon Plug

Just got back from a quick camping trip and the plug won’t come out. Drilled out the middle and still won’t come out. Took a chisel to it and it still won’t come out. I think it melted into the threads. Any suggestions?
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #2

interesting. never heard of this, but, if so, you'll just have to keep digging the remains out of the water heater. replace with a metal plug when done.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
I think it melted into the threads.
Nylon's melting point is over 500 degrees, sounds like it cross threaded when you put it in.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #4

Drill out the hole big enough to fit a hack saw blade or cross cut hand saw. Then cut it. Be careful not to be too aggressive to damage the threads. But a couple of cuts, even if not all the way through should let you break it apart to get it out.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #5

I couldn’t get a saw in there because the space is so tight. Tried sawing it with a drywall saw with little success. Finally lost my temper and chiseled it out of there with a screw driver. The last wack sent the plug into the tank! I guess I can’t use the heater anymore?
I did some damage to the threads. I had two replacement plugs that, had I not just went through what I just went through, I would have been disappointed because they fit so tight. Anyway, I filled up the tank and the new plug didn’t leak so I guess I’m good.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Nylon's melting point is over 500 degrees, sounds like it cross threaded when you put it in.

I hand tightened it down before I put a socket to it. I must have been distracted because that plug was tightened all the way down! Can I use the heater now that I have a mangled plug inside the tank?
Old 02-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Could be a good time to consider what some of us have done, put in a nylon nipple with a short piece of braided water line and drain valve, so you won't have to unscrew the plug to drain each time.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Could be a good time to consider what some of us have done, put in a nylon nipple with a short piece of braided water line and drain valve, so you won't have to unscrew the plug to drain each time.

Do you have some instructions or a video that would show me how to do it?
Old 02-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Can I use the heater now that I have a mangled plug inside the tank?
Probably but it may clog the outlet flow. Also if you have an electric side to the water heater the plastic plug could be melted to it. We had a member who had a plastic flush out tip get stuck inside and he drained his tank, removed the electric element which provided a larger hole, and fished it out with a pair of hemostats, I believe. Good luck.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
That's an awesome idea thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Do you have some instructions or a video that would show me how to do it?
Here's a picture of what I did to mine. Got a 1/2 nylon nipple from Amazon, and the braided water line and valve from Home Depot.

I drain down the water heater after every trip, I don't want the water to ferment in the tank between trips.
Attached Thumbnails
water heater.jpg  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Just got back from a quick camping trip and the plug won’t come out. Drilled out the middle and still won’t come out. Took a chisel to it and it still won’t come out. I think it melted into the threads. Any suggestions?
If that happens again to someone, take a can of compressed air, turn it upside down and freeze the plug. It’ll shrink and should easily come out.
Attached Thumbnails
6BB3ABF5-C634-4B8B-9070-17387476F097.jpg  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Here's a picture of what I did to mine. Got a 1/2 nylon nipple from Amazon, and the braided water line and valve from Home Depot.

I drain down the water heater after every trip, I don't want the water to ferment in the tank between trips.
I like that thanks for sharing.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I like that thanks for sharing.
I wish I could say that was my original idea, but I learned it from other guys here!

The first time I tried to take out that plug told me there has to be a better way.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #15

I took my gas burner out, pretty easy to do, and used a close nipple and a ball valve and threaded it right in. Reinstalled the burner and life is much better. Now all I do is thread a long plastic nipple into the ball valve and let er rip. Works great. It keeps the water from running all down the cover and destroying the stickers on the inside of the door and no more tools needed to drain the tank. I cant remember if I got the parts from Depot or Lowes, but it was one of them.

Sorry the pic is sideways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191026_132111.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	56478
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #16

use a tap to redo the threads if they are buggered up. or a metal threaded pipe nipple to recut the threads. https://www.amazon.com/Everflow-Supp...i&sr=1-19&th=1

buy another plastic plug and use Pipe Thread Sealant
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #17

hindsite 20/20
but a internal pipe wrench may have removed the piece
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...52&s=hi&sr=1-1
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I hand tightened it down before I put a socket to it. I must have been distracted because that plug was tightened all the way down!
I think there is a lesson to be learned for everyone. The nylon plug DOESN'T have to be tightened all the way down.

I know it's easy to do, since it's plastic and doesn't have much resistance, but in reality, since water pressure is only in the 40 - 60 psi ranges, best method is to put some telfon tape on the plug, and when it's snuggly tightened with your fingers, maybe one extra full revolution or so with a wrench is all that's needed to keep it from leaking. There's no reason to crank it completely in.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #19

Quote:
I think there is a lesson to be learned for everyone. The nylon plug DOESN'T have to be tightened all the way down.

I know it's easy to do, since it's plastic and doesn't have much resistance, but in reality, since water pressure is only in the 40 - 60 psi ranges, best method is to put some telfon tape on the plug, and when it's snuggly tightened with your fingers, maybe one extra full revolution or so with a wrench is all that's needed to keep it from leaking. There's no reason to crank it completely in.

Amen
Old 02-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
hindsite 20/20
but a internal pipe wrench may have removed the piece
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...52&s=hi&sr=1-1

I was looking for this before I started hammering on things! Would I need the 1/2 inch or the 3/4?