Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Atwood power tongue jack

I have a 1998 Jayco Designer 3120 FKS. The power jack on the front started clicking when I try to raise the trailer. The motor doesn't click it almost sounds like it skipping teeth on the gear. lowers fine with no problem, just when I get some weight on it that it starts clicking. I took the motor apart and looked at the gears and they all look fine to me. Don't know what else to check, so I came on here to seek some advice. Searched but couldn't find anything.
router343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #2

Sounds like it may be a weak battery. Up takes significantly more power than down.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I does seem like it is low battery, but I am plugged into a 110 outlet in my garage.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #4

If you are plugged into shore power the converter should be powering your 12V as well as charging the battery. I believe my atwood jack has a clutch that I can hear when it has retracted all the way. It has a kind of "ratchety" sound to it - pretty distinct. Don't know if it works on extend as well as retract tho. Could be something is dragging and trying to extend causes the clutch to start slipping or the clutch is worn.
This is the link to the manual for the atwood electric jack. The trouble shooting part suggests some possible actions for the clutch slipping, also looks like parts may be available for your jack. http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...2011.21.07.pdf
Love to hear what you find out.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem to me that my Atwood Power front jack works off of shore power. If I remember correctly, I tried to use it once before hooking up the battery, and it didn't do anything.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Thanks for the link RedHorse1. The slipping clutch is what it is doing ratcheting not clicking .After viewing the manual and looking at the plate on the jack I have the standard light weight 2500#. Also read that when setting up weight distribution bars that these jacks wont cut it, which is exactly what I am doing, so I used a floor jack to help the tongue jack, and got them installed. But even with just the weight of the trailer it starts ratcheting once it get a lot of weight on it. Did not see a clutch replacement though. Krackeer I also thought that even though I was plugged in that it may still may be trying to run off battery, so I disconnected the battery, and it is running from outlet. I have a new question about weight and towing with my setup. Is this the section for that question or is there a different section
Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #7

Disconnecting the battery actually lessens the amount of power (current) available to the jack. The jack is a high current item. 20+ amps. The short distance to the battery provides the best condition. By disconnecting the battery you are relying on the converter to supply all of the current. That is a relatively long distance and you will have a significant loss at 20+ amps. While it may work somewhat the converter was never intended to power the jack. The battery is capable of handling the high current much better.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #8

Ok, thanks tnchuck100. I did end up hooking it back up, and I think my jack just need replacing. Even after I unhook from the truck it will not go down just makes ratcheting sound. I have to use floor jack to take some pressure off and then I can lower the trailer.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #9

Contact Atwood. They have great customer service and will usually send you a replacement for free.
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #10

No go on the free replacement, looks like I will be buying a new jack. Thank you all for the tips. Now its on to finding a manual for this trailer. While camping this weekend, water started leaking from front of trailer under the kitchen, seems I have another tank up there but cant find where to drain it from.