Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Try to reset a couple of times on the switch panel. There should be a small dsl light beside the switch. Not all units have this hooked up. Best is to have one operating the switch and someone else listen at the water heather.
New here -- have similar issue. Have DSI indicator (not lit - have no idea if it is connected). When SHOULD this be lit up? Will investigate further this evening.
The manual that came with the unit seems to be somewhat generic, covering multiple models. It starts off by saying "turn this, set that" and those items do not exist on my unit.

I found this site to be very useful:
https://www.campsitephotos.com
(no, I get no compensation from them)
kwatson51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatson51 View Post
New here -- have similar issue. Have DSI indicator (not lit - have no idea if it is connected). When SHOULD this be lit up? Will investigate further this evening.
The manual that came with the unit seems to be somewhat generic, covering multiple models. It starts off by saying "turn this, set that" and those items do not exist on my unit.
If the light on the panel is lit, that usually indicates a "fault". Which means the WH tried to ignite the propane 3 times and failed. You can reset it by turning the gas switch off and then back on.

I tested mine by turning on the gas switch, walking outside with a BBQ lighter and igniting the flame myself. The flame would ignite, then it would stop a moment later. This would indicate that the igniter/flame detector is faulty or the board is faulty. I did not test the igniter, I just replaced the board because IMO, odds are the board was defective anyway.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #63

Thanks Bob...I'll try that.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #64

Atwood water heater issue

I’m new to having a TT with a old 2005 Jay feather 165 with old propane water heater. Actually I should say brand new old style water heater being a brought my TT with a spilt water heater. All these issues I’m hearing it certainly makes me not want to change from system I have. Well this is good post because now if never get a electric/propane unit at least I know how to fix it.
taumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #65

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Never had any problem with my Water-Heather nor Furnace or Fridge in my 2005 Jay Feather and it get well used. Must be better quality 13 years ago.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Never had any problem with my Water-Heather nor Furnace or Fridge in my 2005 Jay Feather and it get well used. Must be better quality 13 years ago.

That I don’t know but thinking maybe over complicating a system that doesn’t need it might be the issue. I know having pilot light has drawbacks
taumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #67

Update: Was not able to get to the igniter, but did unplug and re-plug all electrical connections. The ones on the ECO and TSTAT felt weird when unplugging and re-plugging, but after that, the burner stayed lit for twice as long before shutting off. This makes me think that item should be replaced. Picking one up at lunch today. Will probably get a thermal cut-out as well--maybe even a new electric element since I get no hot water on electric.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #68

UPDATE 2: I now have hot water on both gas and electric! YAY!
However, an embarrassing confession: Ya gotta have water in the tank or the gas/electric systems will shut down (self protection). I thought the dealer filled the tank to test it (said he did, but didn't.) It was still on winter by-pass. So I now have a new thermo-couple, tstat and ECO sensor and it's all pretty, shiny and functional. Thanks for the feedback y'all!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #69

OP here, glad to hear your problems are solved. Mine has been good ever since the new board was installed.
Campingteacher79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #70

Quote:
UPDATE 2: I now have hot water on both gas and electric! YAY!
However, an embarrassing confession: Ya gotta have water in the tank or the gas/electric systems will shut down (self protection). I thought the dealer filled the tank to test it (said he did, but didn't.) It was still on winter by-pass. So I now have a new thermo-couple, tstat and ECO sensor and it's all pretty, shiny and functional. Thanks for the feedback y'all!
I was going to ask, but I figured you'd come this far, surely you had water in the tank! LOL!! Don't worry, we all make bonehead moves, we even have an entire thread where we can confess them for the amusement of the group!

On another note, NEVER trust or assume ANYTHING from a dealer. ALWAYS verify everything for yourself. Even the most seemingly minute or obvious details are screwed up by even "good" dealers.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #71

Quote:
So I now have a new thermo-couple, tstat and ECO sensor and it's all pretty, shiny and functional. Thanks for the feedback y'all!
Spare parts are a GOOD thing. I already replaced the thermal cut off on my 2016. I have another on standby (They came in a two pack!)
The parts are cheap enough. I also keep a set of the tstats, fuses, and extra plastic plugs handy.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #72

I totally agree - as Pres. Reagan (?) said "trust, but verify".
Looking back with 20/20 vision, I did not handle the transaction with the dealer well.
Got an ok deal $$-wise though.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #73

Quote:
I totally agree - as Pres. Reagan (?) said "trust, but verify".
Looking back with 20/20 vision, I did not handle the transaction with the dealer well.
Got an ok deal $$-wise though.
Hindsight is indeed 20/20! I've made plenty enough tactical and strategic errors to attest to that!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #74

Ya'll ain't gonna believe this but....... We took the Jayco camping this weekend. Doesn't everyone go on Labor Day? Anyway, loaded up last Tuesday night, had everything hooked up ready to roll Wednesday morning. I left for work with the trailer and the new TV. Worked till lunch time and on my break I headed for the campground. Found a site, backed in leveled up, unhooked, put the slide out and just for grins and giggles, threw the switch for the hot water heater. Waited to see the little "failed to ignite" light but instead, I hear the hot water heater light off! I waited for at least 8-10 minutes but it stayed lit. I left it on and went back to work. At the end of my shift, I went back to camp and tried the hot water tap. I had hot water. I left it on for a while longer but decided to turn it off when I wasn't using it. For the rest of the weekend, it worked beautifully. When I had my generator hooked up and running, I kicked on both the gas and electric side of the heater and it recovered much more quickly than on gas alone. I had done nothing to it, not even so much as wiggled the circuit board connector. I'm pleasantly surprised but baffled at the same time.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote