Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #1

Atwood WH - plug and cleaning burner tube

Could the Atwood water heater plug be in a more awkward place? anyone have an easy way to access it or extend it or anything?

I believe I need to clean the burner tube, so how is that done?
Old 03-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefoster View Post
Could the Atwood water heater plug be in a more awkward place? anyone have an easy way to access it or extend it or anything?

I believe I need to clean the burner tube, so how is that done?
Yeah, it isn't in a great spot. Several owners have rigged up extensions using a flex hose with a valve on the end.

Regarding the burner, I use a thin bottle brush to break up any webs or nests then blow it out with compressed air. Has worked on 3 units!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

Check here for a couple of drain extension ideas: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...od-7220-2.html
Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #4

thanks y'all! how do I access the tube to get the little brush in there?
Old 03-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

I looked at the drain extensions.......so, it is ok for those valves and lines to lay in the water heater cabinet, and the heat does not hurt them?
Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
thanks y'all! how do I access the tube to get the little brush in there?
I remove the small setscrew on the burner's air shutter and then slide it out of the way. A slight "rust ring" remains so I know where to put it back to when I am done. Before I call it completed I check the flame on fire-up to make sure it is burning properly, both from a mixture standpoint and obstructions. Nice blue flame with just some yellow on the tips.

Best to only run the burner when the tank is full of water!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #7

great! I can do that!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
I looked at the drain extensions.......so, it is ok for those valves and lines to lay in the water heater cabinet, and the heat does not hurt them?
I don't use an extension myself, I have a 10-gallon Atwood and the larger size allows me to use a socket on an extension to remove mine without a problem.

I know some owners have expressed a concern about screwing a different metal into the Atwood's aluminum tank. Atwood uses a plastic plug so it isn't a possible issue. I am not a metallurgist so I can't say whether it could be a problem long-term.

I do doubt the heat at the bottom would be an issue, there already is wiring and such in the enclosure.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #9

the plug is a bit of a pain on our SLX 212QBW but a socket on a universal joint and extension makes it easy to remove. Putting it on can be a bit of a challenge to not cross thread, but once right, hand tighten with the socket, joint and extension.

I do make sure to carry a spare plug in my toolkit.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #10

They also make a WH plug wrench, which is a flat metal bar bent to make it easier to get the socket style opening on the plug itself. Works pretty good and pretty cheap, fits in the tool bag pretty good as well.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #11

There are three sheet metal screws as I recall that hold the flame tube in place. As in recall, u removed them, and them blow compressed air thought the assembly. Just make a witness mark, to ensure you keep the air fuel mix adjustment the same.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
They also make a WH plug wrench, which is a flat metal bar bent to make it easier to get the socket style opening on the plug itself. Works pretty good and pretty cheap, fits in the tool bag pretty good as well.
and where would I find this magic tool!!! I tried a longer socket yesterday and it would not fit on the plug because of the gas line. even a small extension that would get the plug out from behind the gas line would be awesome, but with the downward angle of the plug, I run into the bottom of the WH box. at least I don't have to take it out often, but good grief!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #13

also, anyone, to clean the burner tube, I slid the air regulator thing back as far as I could, which let me clean cob webs off the orifice, but I still cannot get anything down the entire tube..........do I have to take the whole thing off to clean it?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #14

When I remove my drain plug I just remove the metal baffle covering the exhaust. 3 zip screws hold it in place. With this out of the way, it's easy to reach with a stubby crescent wrench or a slip joint pliers. Screw the baffle back in place when done.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
When I remove my drain plug I just remove the metal baffle covering the exhaust. 3 zip screws hold it in place. With this out of the way, it's easy to reach with a stubby crescent wrench or a slip joint pliers. Screw the baffle back in place when done.
great idea! thanks!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #16

Water Heater Maintenance

Quote:
Yes, it normally does not get warm enough in the bottom of the WH cabinet to affect any plastic plumbing parts.

As far as access to the burner tube, you can simply mark & move the air adjustment sleeve (with the slots near the front) else you can remove a few screws and take the whole assembly out. I found that a cleaner brush for a hummingbird feeder was perfect for cleaning out the spider webs. While you are working on the WH, consider putting a section of aluminum screen wire over the exhaust grill.For a few cents you can block the spiders and wasps that will eventually get in there and cause you problems.

Happy Camping Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #17
Site Team

I had an Atwood ona previous rig and I used to remove the nylon plug with one prong of a 4 way lug wrench.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #18

Hi as for an extension I used a nylon nipple size of the plug and other side of the nipple used a stainless toilet tank hose to a water shut-off valve. Works great and no issues draining tank or galvanic action because the nylon nipple separates the unlike metals
I borrowed the setup from someone else's post on another forum

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:46 PM   #19

Quote:
and where would I find this magic tool!!! I tried a longer socket yesterday and it would not fit on the plug because of the gas line. even a small extension that would get the plug out from behind the gas line would be awesome, but with the downward angle of the plug, I run into the bottom of the WH box. at least I don't have to take it out often, but good grief!
Maybe here:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11633-W..._&dpSrc=detail

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #20

Tools I Use

Quote:
I have enough room to fit the 15/16" socket on a 6" extension, 1/2" drive to take it out or put it in. IMHO, if I had one of those ratcheting combination wrenches in that size, it would likely work as well or better. Those flat stamped steel wrenches as in the WH plug kit will wear you out trying to remove or install the plug. I may be installing a flexible hose with shut off valve the next time I drain the WH, since I end up draining it several times per year to sanitize, decalcify, & clean, and winterize.

good camping Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote