Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Awning arm snapped off

During our trip to Gettysburg last week, we had substantial rain with no wind. We had our awning out and had it adjusted with one notch down for a slight angle. Well, water must of pooled up and broke one of the arms and bent the shock. We usually don't adjust awning leaving it straight out and the water dump works great. It must not work when the awning is adjusted for slight slope. Of course, we are past our 2 year warranty. I hope it's not too expensive. The other side doesn't look affected and the motor still works. My hubby wants to order the parts from Carefree and fix himself since I can't get our rig into shop until May 12th!!! And, they can't guarantee to have it back to me before Memorial weekend.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Kim
Old 04-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #2

I don't think Carefree ships direct to the consumer. I would contact http://www.rvawningsonline.com/ to order.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #3

I've seen many awnings crushed by water, last on was in Florida but many on the East coast.
Big Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

I had one collapse on a brand new unit ' 28 bhs, 2 Yrs ago first trip out, thanks to the warranty on Jaycos part they honored it , supposed to be a Carefree issue, but they wont have anything to do with it, I had to really push to get it fixed and taken care of through Jayco but they decided it was a shock problem, the shaft had rust build up and failed to dump water, ripped the arm and the awning tube right off the trailer. What a nightmare it was , good luck with getting it back together and better luck in the future.
ont-tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #5

I had the same problem few weeks ago. But in my case, it snapped because the bold got loose after moving the awning. The bolt was not broken but it was missing the clip. It did cause some light damage to the arm, but I am hoping that the fix can be quick. Currently, I am using a spare bolt because I was unable to put the original one. Part of the arm is bended, but at least I was able to put a different bolt that was able to fit in for the trip back.
orlstgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Hope you can get it fixed in time! I like my old fashioned manual awning.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
... I like my old fashioned manual awning.
Here's another vote for a manual awning. With the "Carefree" (in quotes, because my Carefree electric awning is decidedly not carefree) either the electric motor goes out or the shock piston rusts and sticks and the metal framing is destroyed when the awning is reeled in. Then there's a real problem getting it back in place. Also, my manual awning was decidedly more stable strong and secure than the Carefree parallelogram setup.

About the only place we use our awning is in our driveway - just to let the awning out so we can oil the struts and reduce the rust. By the way, why does Carefree use metal that rusts on an awning that is always is exposed to weather?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #8

I prefer manual and Sallie likes the electric. We have an electric on our Jayco because when momma is happy - - - - - - -.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #9

Your dealer can order the parts and have CF drop ship them to your home. I have done it a few times for customers.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #10

So is it best not to use the awning in the rain ? I figured I would pull it in if it was windy, but hadnt thought about heavy rain ? Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppie View Post
So is it best not to use the awning in the rain ? I figured I would pull it in if it was windy, but hadnt thought about heavy rain ? Thanks
We've used many times in rain when it was in the minimal position (straight out & no slope) and the auto-dump feature worked great. The damage happened when we change the angle. The auto-dump feature doesn't work then. Lesson learned. Looks like it should be an easy & inexpensive fix by doing it ourselves. The motor still works as we were able to roll awning back in when holding and helping broken arms into position. We had to secure by tying rope in a couple places.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #12

A few pictures would help seeing and additional damage. We keep our electric awning tipped about 3 clicks on the far side from the door and 1 click by the door, I do not recall exactly and the HTT is still in storage. Since doing that the auto dumping feature has not needed to actuate.

I would find a parts manual for your awning. Go through it piece by piece and determine if anything else is damaged, then order the parts. You may have a few twisted items that are not immediately noticeable, without close inspection. As for repairable, without seeing it I would say yes.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #13

I use mine in the rain, with it about 3 clicks low on one side.

IIRC the auto dump requires the water to pool enough to collapse the hydraulic ram enough on one side that channels the water off the awning. I have noticed those rams are getting sticky with use on mine -- I wonder if that is why CruzinKims didn't dump before anough weight accumulated and broke the arm?
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #14

Is there a safe way to test the water dump hydraulics? I'd like to make sure mine are working correctly (not rusted or stuck).
SpeedBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #15

My DH and 2 teenage boys put new right awning bracket on. We ended buying the entire arm, even though we could of reused motorhead and a bracket. He's going to keep the old arm for "parts" if need be again. The shock was bent a little, but thinks he can straighten it. Anyway, it was $553 plus and hours time altogether. It took him a bit to find the wire. It was hidden under the coat rack. Sounds expensive and it is, but not compared to RV service wanting to charge $1300!! They told me that I'd have to buy both, right & left, arms b/c they come in pairs. I was able to order a 'Carefree' brand (one) arm from Scotties so that really ticks me off that they told me that.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #16

The "pair" thing gets me too.

I while ago I got a little close to a pole and snapped the passenger side mirror on one of our vehicles. Called the dealership to buy a replacement mirror, the wanted ~$800 for the pair and said a single wasn't possible. I passed, went on line found OEM powered mirror as a pair for $450, then looked a little further and found OEM single side mirrors for ~$300. Sure it would be a better deal to buy the pair -- but I only needed one so in my mind a little research saved my $500. More than enough to cover the hour of my time to remove the damaged mirror and install the replacement.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #17

The dealer said it would require 3 labor hours at $121.00/hr. The DH and 16 & 17 yo did it in an hour, maybe a bit less. This was, of course, because they said they'd need to replace both arms b/c they're sold in pairs only.