Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppie View Post
So is it best not to use the awning in the rain ? I figured I would pull it in if it was windy, but hadnt thought about heavy rain ? Thanks
We've used many times in rain when it was in the minimal position (straight out & no slope) and the auto-dump feature worked great. The damage happened when we change the angle. The auto-dump feature doesn't work then. Lesson learned. Looks like it should be an easy & inexpensive fix by doing it ourselves. The motor still works as we were able to roll awning back in when holding and helping broken arms into position. We had to secure by tying rope in a couple places.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #12

A few pictures would help seeing and additional damage. We keep our electric awning tipped about 3 clicks on the far side from the door and 1 click by the door, I do not recall exactly and the HTT is still in storage. Since doing that the auto dumping feature has not needed to actuate.

I would find a parts manual for your awning. Go through it piece by piece and determine if anything else is damaged, then order the parts. You may have a few twisted items that are not immediately noticeable, without close inspection. As for repairable, without seeing it I would say yes.

Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #13

I use mine in the rain, with it about 3 clicks low on one side.

IIRC the auto dump requires the water to pool enough to collapse the hydraulic ram enough on one side that channels the water off the awning. I have noticed those rams are getting sticky with use on mine -- I wonder if that is why CruzinKims didn't dump before anough weight accumulated and broke the arm?
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #14

Is there a safe way to test the water dump hydraulics? I'd like to make sure mine are working correctly (not rusted or stuck).
SpeedBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #15

My DH and 2 teenage boys put new right awning bracket on. We ended buying the entire arm, even though we could of reused motorhead and a bracket. He's going to keep the old arm for "parts" if need be again. The shock was bent a little, but thinks he can straighten it. Anyway, it was $553 plus and hours time altogether. It took him a bit to find the wire. It was hidden under the coat rack. Sounds expensive and it is, but not compared to RV service wanting to charge $1300!! They told me that I'd have to buy both, right & left, arms b/c they come in pairs. I was able to order a 'Carefree' brand (one) arm from Scotties so that really ticks me off that they told me that.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #16

The "pair" thing gets me too.

I while ago I got a little close to a pole and snapped the passenger side mirror on one of our vehicles. Called the dealership to buy a replacement mirror, the wanted ~$800 for the pair and said a single wasn't possible. I passed, went on line found OEM powered mirror as a pair for $450, then looked a little further and found OEM single side mirrors for ~$300. Sure it would be a better deal to buy the pair -- but I only needed one so in my mind a little research saved my $500. More than enough to cover the hour of my time to remove the damaged mirror and install the replacement.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #17

The dealer said it would require 3 labor hours at $121.00/hr. The DH and 16 & 17 yo did it in an hour, maybe a bit less. This was, of course, because they said they'd need to replace both arms b/c they're sold in pairs only.