Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Awning - Dirty strip near the top by the trailer!

So we were careful on our walk through to watch our dealer do everything so we would know things when we needed to.

So we very carefully watched him roll up the awning and we have very carefully rolled it up that way ever since.

Every time it rains, water and tree stuff drips down into our awning. DH has to go out, open the awning, and wipe the wet and the tree stuff off the part just below the beginning of the awning. At one point he told me tat he was sorry he got the electric awning, it is really easy to open and close, but he never had to bother so much with an awning in his life, and he hadn't used it for it's intended use even once. Then I found out that the "tree stuff" has stained a four inch wide strip of nasty! I have been working and working on it and cannot get the stain to come out.

While we were working so hard on it, I commented on how the Dealer for our PopUp had installed our awning on the strip backwards making it very difficult to put up and down. We finally figured it out and for the remainder of it's time with us we loved the awning. DH stepped back, looked up at the awning and said let me try something. He fiddled with it a few minutes and said "That's it, we were winding it up backwards, just like the dealer did!" Our awning had white all the way around when it was closed the dealers way! This allowed water to drop down from the roof INTO the awning. If you close the awning with the black side out there is NO way for water to drop inside the awning!

So now we know! Just thought in case anyone else didn't know this, I would mention it here!

Now all I have to do if figure out how to get rid of the dirty stripe which I am now sure is mold and mildew from constant dampness INSIDE my awning!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Team

There is a thread on this that is not to old. Many use a mixture of household bleach and dish soap sprayed on both sides. Roll it up for 10 minutes. Open up and rinse off.

Careful to protect eyes.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...g-36072-2.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

magic eraser
Old 06-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

How do you change the way it rolls up? When mine is rolled up, the black side is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
How do you change the way it rolls up? When mine is rolled up, the black side is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On my TT if I don't release the extend switch when the awning is fully extended it will begin to roll up in the opposite (inside out) direction.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #6

Yes exactly and that is the way we got it from the Dealer! And we VERY CAREFULLY Rolled it back the same way each time! We also didn't know we had a flap, it stayed on top and fell down in the wind one day! That is when we began to see it might be wrong side out!

It feels like such a stupid "Newbie" mistake...
Old 06-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
On my TT if I don't release the extend switch when the awning is fully extended it will begin to roll up in the opposite (inside out) direction.
ah... ok, I understand. It will just keep rolling which makes it roll in, inside out.
Geez, you think it would have a limiter so it stops when fully extended.
Thanks for the explanation! I was scratching my head thinking, how the heck does that happen? LOL!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #8
Site Team

Roll it all the way out until it sags a little, then reverse it until it is positioned correctly. You have to watch it.
At night we roll it up level with the slide awning and it keeps dew and rain off the steps. Wind does not affect it in this position unless its a big storm.

Easy in/out, no more going out in the night. Some like it others don't.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote