Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #1

Awning Falling Apart

Hi Everyone, we own a 2016 32BHDS which we purchased three years ago. I have been reviewing these forums since and implemented several of the mods and other projects that I have seen here. So to say the forum is helpful is an understatement. This is our first travel trailer and so there has been a learning curve.

Well, now we have run into an issue with the awning and was wondering if anyone has any insight or suggestions on what might have happened. So the back story, we did not have a chance to get the camper out at all this year until last weekend. Between weather, vacations and a problem with our tow vehicle it just didn't happen.

So last weekend we got set up and we had not had any rain. When I deployed the awning, it was completely soaked through majority of the rolls. We left it out to dry, but noticed mold and mildew especially in the first four sections of roll. We also noticed rather large holes in the first section and through the next two sections. The first hole is about a silver dollar in diameter, then the others get increasing small, so almost a drilling into the fabric. This was on both ends of the canopy (see pictures) and between the matching holds, the canopy has a white line, almost as if it is wearing out. It is perfectly straight between the two holes and is directly on the "front" of the canopy when it is put away (so looking forward, not up or down).

I believe the issue started last year sometime. Because about midway through the year we were starting to notice mold/mildew at the first roll point on the canopy. We cleaned it well and always made sure we put it away dry or dried it out as soon we got home if it was raining when we packed up. We did not see any holes, but we did not inspect it very well, other than just to clean it. Generally, we do not use the awning a lot. Mostly we put it in or out just a few times and either are away in the campground or use the inside of the camper more than the outside with the awning.

Would like any thoughts you all might have on the problem. We also emailed Jayco, but know we are out of warranty at this point.
tisbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #2

Must be a Crappee of Colorado awning...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #3

Kinda looks like rub marks.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
Kinda looks like rub marks.
It does to me as well. We did have a full camper cover on it the first winter (last year we went to only an AC cover). So I possibly where the cover came into contact with the awning on that side, but the cover wouldn't explain how holes developed in the awning, unless it rubbed off some type of coating??
Old 09-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #5

Could it be a critter of some sort? We had a squirrel make a hole in our roof on one corner. I had to put up a squirrel barrier on the tree that's next to our trailer.

This method of protecting the awning from dirt and water has worked very well for us. It still needs a cleaning but it's only fraction of the dirt then before and no mold/mildew. When not in use for long periods I put cable ties on them to keep them secure.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Could it be a critter of some sort? We had a squirrel make a hole in our roof on one corner. I had to put up a squirrel barrier on the tree that's next to our trailer.

This method of protecting the awning from dirt and water has worked very well for us. It still needs a cleaning but it's only fraction of the dirt then before and no mold/mildew. When not in use for long periods I put cable ties on them to keep them secure.
My first thought was could it have been something eating it, that is what it appears when found the first one, with a sort of large hole to small hole thing happening. But it is very odd that there are two almost identical holes on both ends, but where the canvas attaches to the border webbing. The holes are almost the exact same size as each other.

The camper is stored in a lot with other campers and we have not seen any other evidence of it being a mouse or something. We pulled the ac cover during this trip and didn't see any nesting, etc. Same with the underside of the camper.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #7

Leaving the awning rolled up for that long will not help. The mfg is going to say you did not care for the awning as it should have been and I believe is stated in their awning guide book. We roll ours out every month at least and wash it and treat it several times a year. It is a 2014 model and still looks almost new. We do go camping at least once a month and I am a firm believer in using it to keep it in shape.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #8

Awning Falling Apart

What did you clean it with last?
Harsh chemical burn? One pic definitely looks like cover rub.
Time for new fabric. I think you’re out of luck as far as a warranty claim goes, but it doesn’t hurt to try.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Must be a Crappee of Colorado awning...

Looks like The dometic 9100.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It appears a bird was working on the fabric based on the location.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
Site Team

It appears to be rub mark from my view.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #12

Looks to me like physical damage caused by the awning being against a structure or passing tree. Besides at the edge, there is a line of marks going down the length of the awning. There are also marks on the end caps of the roller. Did it get side-swiped?

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
What did you clean it with last?
Harsh chemical burn? One pic definitely looks like cover rub.
Time for new fabric. I think you’re out of luck as far as a warranty claim goes, but it doesn’t hurt to try.
We washed the top and bottom of the awning with soap and water and rinsed it well before storing it for the winter. We were hoping to stop whatever was going on with the initial mildew/mold.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
It appears a bird was working on the fabric based on the location.

Bob
That is an interesting idea. I think it could be more likely a bird then any other critter.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
It appears to be rub mark from my view.
I agree it appears to be a rub mark, which is why I wasn't sure if this is something that could happen with RV cover for the winter we used one. Then due to damage, water getting in and causing it to further disintegrate. But I have done a lot of research to see if it was something that happened in a percentage of awnings or something specific we had done wrong, which resulted in the current situation.

I do believe it started last year when we had the first mold/mildew, since it kept returning trip after trip with awning dry and rolled up. Now after such a long period there is more mold at each roll point that lines with where holes are now. The biggest holes having the most mold.

I am not aware of any other camper or trees coming into contact with it, although it is possible we caught a branch somewhere. I did not see any damage to the ends caps as someone suggested, but we are going to check that again to see if we notice anything. But it would be odd for a matching hole to be on the front and the back of the awning in the same spot. While rolled up the holes look a bit different, when un rolled, they are nearly identical in size, shape, location next to the web edging of the awning.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #16

We have a 16 Eagle tried to wash awning once color started coming right off!Never washed again.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #17

Looks like it’s from the cover.. that’s why it’s worn over the entire length of it.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:15 AM   #18

So, we rechecked it again. It definitely came into contact with something, most likely not a tree. The metal of the roller can had scrapes exactly along the same line as the canopy. It is interesting that the holes happened only on the ends and it was full of water when we opened it. So it didn't happen on the last trip and possibly it happened some time in storage or another trip. I am guessing it must have caught a pole or something just enough to scrap along the entire length, I don't think another rig could have done it while parking next to us.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Looks like it’s from the cover.. that’s why it’s worn over the entire length of it.
X2
Old 09-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #20

We have similar problems with our awning. We always dry it before rolling it up but it is always wet and moldy when we unroll it. We typically use it once a month in the summer. It was even smelling moldy this year so we just tried something new - Wet & Forget. Can't give a recommendation yet since we just sprayed it last week. We also have tiny holes. Hubby just ordered a repair material.

We just heard this weekend that there are add-on awning covers. Anyone have that? Does it help?
LBLL is offline   Reply With Quote