Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #1

Awning Help

Good morning everyone.

I own a 2018 JayFlight 324BDSW. My awning is not opening. The LED light under the awning is working, everything else seems to be working. can I get any advice. I've looked at the fuse box inside the trailer under the oven but no fuse is blown that I can tell. Any help would be greatly appreciate!!
FosterFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:06 PM   #2

Couple of diagnostic questions for you:
  1. Has it worked before and/or when did it stop?
  2. Sounds like an electric motor and not a manual crank. Can you post pictures of the fuse panel?
  3. Can you post pictures of the controller?
  4. Are you using JayCommand/BMpro or a dedicated extend/retract button?
  5. Do you have a second method to extend/retract the awning and, if so, is the second method also not working?

A similar thread from 2019: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-66565.html
gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #3

On the right side of the awning (front), at the awning motor on top of the support arm, there is a Allen set screw. Loosen it a little bit to bring the awning out about 2 feet. You should be able to get access to the motor wires, usually a plug. Unplug those wires. Then get two electrical wires about 8 foot long. Splice one to the negative connection to the motor. place the other wire to the positive connection to the motor. Then attached the other end of the wires to a 12 volt battery (lawn tractor battery will work), positive wire to positive terminal on battery, negative wire to negative terminal. If the awning moves, then your awning motor is good. Reverse polarity to bring it in. If no movement at all and you hear a click at the motor, your awning motor is bad.

I replaced mine last summer, motor was $700, plus 1 hour labor. Caution! If you decide to replace the motor yourself, you will have to isolate the awning spring before you replace the motor.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #4

A 12V cordless power tool battery works well too.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:39 PM   #5

... and if your motor is good, it's not getting a 12vdc feed. Check to see if you have power into the switch and then out to the motor.

A couple of trailers ago mine wouldn't work because the switch was bad. Digi-Key had a replacement for about $10.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #6

On a side note:
I had a slide motor that wouldn't work. $700.00 also, so I had nothing to lose, I took it apart.
Corroded to death! Cleaned it up re-assembled and it worked! Took it back apart and re-sealed with RTV red sealant.
Just a thought before you drop $700.00......
Those DC motors are sure pricey.
Good luck,
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote